Homebrew [N3DS exclusive] ScreenInfo.3dsx by SciresM -- check IPS or TN

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad that you were able to make a homebrew that people wanted. I am glad that it works like it intended. Nice work. I tested it on mine already but perhaps not important to ask but why does it not work on old 3DS?

Also is it possible to maybe add to the Decrypt9 since it has a system info option?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To me it seem like perhaps a acciden't to get miss matched screens or even using IPS, perhaps they had them lying around and the other ran out of stock and they just used it till they can get more. Who knows, we sure don't know if any of this was intentional.
How come various N3DS models don't have one kind of screen? TN screens, IPS screens, both in one console. Cost thing? I never really cared if mine was IPS or TN[...]
[...] and since they're still doing mixed screens so far down the line, they either bought a crapton of stock at discount, or thought that, as a backup, it makes sense to regularly buy a few thousand screens.
Pretty much, Nintendo doesn't care either.
Nowadays (at least for these sizes and pixel counts) the prices are interchangeable so whatever is cheapest when stocks are low, it is bought.
Except in the 2DS, the screens are physically separate, so it makes sense for them to be different :)

because nintendo, being a large company that manufactures craptons of 3ds consoles[...]
Almost correct: they don't make their own hardware
(inb4 let's bribe the underpaid Chinese workers for a copy of the bootroms)

Thank you OP, very useful tool.
I'm glad that you were able to make a homebrew that people wanted. I am glad that it works like it intended. Nice work.
Better thank the developer more...! :)

why does it not work on old 3DS?
All there at the very start of the OP!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also is it possible to maybe add to the Decrypt9 since it has a system info option?
Apart from the major technical difficulties (porting a userland homebrew that uses system functions to arm9 with no OS running) this is unfitting with the purpose of D9 (notice all info it displays is associated with at least one of its actual operative functions)

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to understand how a homebrew software can detect the type of screen a 3DS is using. If I had a New 3DS with both screens TN but then later replaced with IPS from a different 3DS system would the software say both IPS instead or would it still recognize as TN since that was its "original" hardware.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had a New 3DS with both screens TN but then later replaced with IPS from a different 3DS system would the software say both IPS instead or would it still recognize as TN since that was its "original" hardware.
It will recognize the changed screen types. IME the only way to get a N3DSXL with 2 decently matched IPS screens is to build it yourself.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Double TN. Release Day MM N3DSXL.

I'm actually quite happy with them. I find longer battery life preferable to the negligible differences in colour vibrancy.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what would be the best way to get IPS screens for standard new 3DS? Sadly these variations arent as common as the XL model so I couldn't just go into game stop and check what they have available there.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
so, I can't seem to find any info on IPS screen in the -new- 2DS XL, I got one and this tool says I have double TN, which I believe is true due to the very extreme color fade when viewed from the sides, though from the front the colors are very vivid,
does anyone know if there's IPS replacement screen available?

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
so, I can't seem to find any info on IPS screen in the -new- 2DS XL, I got one and this tool says I have double TN, which I believe is true due to the very extreme color fade when viewed from the sides, though from the front the colors are very vivid,
does anyone know if there's IPS replacement screen available?

I don't know. Also this program isn't updated anymore nor supported. Go use 3dsident

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse