N3DS 9.0 Gateway hack freezes with 128gb micro sd card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by archnachoofthepi, May 10, 2015.

1. archnachoofthepi
    OP

archnachoofthepi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    So, my sysnand reads my 128gb, but every time I tried to run the Cubic Ninja hack to get into my Gateway card, it would just boot to a black screen. I tried using the 4gb card that the system came with and it booted up no problem.

So now I'm left with a dilemma. I have a 64gb I could use for my main memory card and then use my 128 for my gateway roms, but I've bought 60 gb of content from the eshop. So, if I do that (I pretty much use my gateway either to play import games or to test a game before dropping full price on it) then I'll completely fill the card immediately (hence why I bought a 128gb micro sd card).

So, does anyone know of a method to make the gateway hack recognize the 128gb card as the main one in the N3DS? Even now that I have the Nintendo DS profile method set up, the system still freezes when I try to boot the hack.

What's odd though is that without Emunand installed, I can boot into Gateway mode and then swap to the card I actually want to use (the 128gb). I tried injecting the emunand into the 128gb, but no dice.

So yeah, any help that can be provided would be much obliged!

2. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Seems like your 128gb card isn't compatible with launching gateway, so I don't see any solution, besides selling the 128gb sdcard and buying a different one.

Edit: And could you tell us, what 128gb sdcard you have?

3. archnachoofthepi
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    That would be an option I'd be willing to explore, except that there's nothing so far to show me that the Gateway hack just doesn't read 128 gb cards. I'm not willing to go buy another almost $100 card without knowing whether it's something strange about my card, or if Gateway on N3DS just won't read that high of a capacity for its hack, ya know?

*Edit*

It's an official sandisk 128gb I bought from . On my old 3ds XL it worked flawlessly in emunand mode, so that's where I feel like it's a glitch with the N3DS version of the hack.

4. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Try reformatting your SD card with sd-formatter or similiar tool to FAT32. I had the same problem when I purchased a 64gb µSD card. I just didn't check if it worked on O3DS. The gateway launcher is real picky when it comes to filesystem errors or not properly formatted cards.

I dont have a link but in the offical maxconsole gw support thread users already mentioned that your card should work without problems.

5. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I've been told that the limitation of the new3DS is SDHC (or upto 64gb) It does not support SDXC.

6. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I've been told that the limitation of the new3DS is SDHC (or upto 64gb) It does not support SDXC.

7. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    32gb card is recommended for the new3ds.

8. archnachoofthepi
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    I finally got it working. I ended up reformatting the 128gb several times in a row before using it again, and it finally read. .The only problem I have now is that it appears the 64gb and 4gb I tried to test with are toast. I can get my computer to read them, but no matter what the system says it won't reformat them. Oh well; I've run into similar situations in the past, and have an old windows xp machine laying around somewhere that I think I can use to fully reformat them.

At the very least I got it reading the 128gb again! Now my only dilemma is do I call Nintendo to transfer the license to my emunand while it's 9.0 (they can transfer your licenses over when your firmware is below the newest one), or after I spoof it to 9.7?

On the one hand, they may be instructed to look out for emunand, on the other they may be instructed to look out for spoofed firmware. My concern, no matter how irrational it may be (I've learned that it pays to think of the unlikely things) is that somehow something about the emunand's key will change and I'll lose my licenses, even though firmware shouldn't matter.

9. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I've had luck getting Android devices to format memory cards that computers refused to do anything with, try that?