Homebrew N3DS 8.1J to 9.2J, is there a new solution?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In light of all the new developments, I wonder what's currently the best way to got from 8.1J to 9.2J.

- Japan N3DS with sysnand on 8.1, MSET has been downgraded for GW.
- GW blue card & red card
- copy of jpn OoT

I just would like to update sysnand to 9.2J to autoboot GW emunand on cold boot.

With all the different hacks/methods/updates that have been released the past few days/hours, I'm confused as fuck.

Please advise if you have experience with this!
Thanks.

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. upgrade to 10.3 first, then downgrade to 9.0-9.2;)
2. setup own local server for upgrade to 9.0-9.2

I prefer first one

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is i did downgrade MSET per GW instructions, so my sysnand 8.1J does NOT have the stock 8.1J MSET.
I wonder if that could fuck it up when updgrading "officially" to 10.3J.

Also, i'm confused as to which method to use for entrypoint. I only have JPN OoT..

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always just rxtools your way into cfw, then install FBI/DevMenu and downgrade MSET with those in Pasta Mode.

Also, if you're going to downgrade non-XL n3dsj, don't forget to delete 000400102002CA00.cia from the update pack or you will brick when downgrading.

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always just rxtools your way into cfw, then install FBI/DevMenu and downgrade MSET with those in Pasta Mode.
Why would i want to downgrade MSET, did you even read what this thread's about?
Besides rxtools requires CN which I don't have.

Also, if you're going to downgrade non-XL n3dsj, don't forget to delete 000400102002CA00.cia from the update pack or you will brick when downgrading.
Again, what the hell, ALL JPN N3DS mustn't install 000400102002CA00, or they'll brick. There's no distinction between XL or reg size.

Reactions: kiwiis

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually meant all N3DSJ, sorry: I've been talking a bunch about the non-XL american n3ds, so I got mixed up.

I suggested downgrading MSET if you were updating to 10.3, but I suppose shufflehax could work as an entrypoint too.

If you update, downgrade to 9.2 then set up coldboot for shufflehax, you can replace the boot with gateway's and you should be good.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wish I could assure you that updating to 10.3 with a downgraded MSET won't cause any problems.

It shouldn't matter at all, it simply checks if the current installed version is lower than the version on the server and updates the title if it isn't. Whether it's on 8.1, 9.0 or 4.5, the response should be the same, "this version is older than the latest one, update it".

Best wait for someone to give you a definitive answer though if you're unsure.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did a test with 8.1J by upgrading to 10.3J, then I use ninjhax 2.5 as entrypoint to downgrade. I am not sure if browserhax for 10.3 is out yet, so you might find it out. As for downgrading, I rebooted 10+ times to get it to work. And if you do want to try it, remove that cia that all other posts are talking about. I think it is pretty safe. Just don't power off after you press Y after it prompts you to.

Last edited by cultopi,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did a test with 8.1J by upgrading to 10.3J, then I use ninjhax 2.5 as entrypoint to downgrade. I am not sure if browserhax for 10.3 is out yet, so you might find it out. As for downgrading, I rebooted 10+ times to get it to work. And if you do want to try it, remove that cia that all other posts are talking about. I think it is pretty safe.
I used browserhax on my 10.3J N3DS to install menuhax, then it worked on menuhax.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just scan the qr code on this page: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

Let it connect and it'll automatically download+use the payload on your sd card.

EDIT: Or wait, I think browserhax makes you do it manually. If that doesn't work, download the payload manually from https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ (scroll down for otherapp and dl it, then put on sd root)

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cultopi, if you try again, can you check if the upgrade to 10.3J from 8.1J works OK if MSET has been downgraded on 8.1J ?
that's my main concern. Also if you could write a small tutorial on the method you used that'd be awesome, no hardmod here ^^;

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cultopi, if you try again, can you check if the upgrade to 10.3J from 8.1J works OK if MSET has been downgraded on 8.1J ?
that's my main concern. Also if you could write a small tutorial on the method you used that'd be awesome, no hardmod here ^^;
What you can do is-install 9.X mset in GW sysnand mode, reboot back to regular sysnand, then update

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's another interrogation, cultopi.
It seems the original MSET on 8.1J wasn't v9224 but v8198 as indicated here : http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list
While v9224 is widely available, v8198 is not.
Could you check which original/factory version of MSET is installed on your stock 8.1J?
Not gonna take the risk for you, I don't have hardmod. But I can confirm that from stock 8.1J to 10.3J back to 9.1J works. I tried both ninjhax and browserhax. If nintendo rolls out 10.4 tomorrow, don't come cry.

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough! I didn't ask for you to try another rev though, just to check which one is installed on your stock 8.1J.

And yeah time is of the essence as 10.3 isn't gonna stay online forever, no doubts.

Again a small tuto would be more than welcome, for all those of us unfamiliar with these -hax methods.

The more details, the best, if you could.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I restored original MSET by flashing a nand image i took with all 8.1J official files (didn't want to gamble with v9224 versus v8198).
Now currently updating to 10.3J via Wifi.

CrispyYoshi and cutlopi, I'm going to attempt the browerhax entrypoint. Could you detail only that part if you have a little time?
I think it's the method you both used, thanks!

Reactions: Zidapi

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I restored original MSET by flashing a nand image i took with all 8.1J official files (didn't want to gamble with v9224 versus v8198).
Now currently updating to 10.3J via Wifi.

CrispyYoshi and cutlopi, I'm going to attempt the browerhax entrypoint. Could you detail only that part if you have a little time?
I think it's the method you both used, thanks!
Tutorial is everywhere in this homebrew section now. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-the-simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/
For me I rebooted 10+ times to get it work, but someone posted 75 times before they got it to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16