Homebrew N3DS 8.1J to 9.2J, is there a new solution?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure thing!

Put smealum's starter pack on your root, put the 9.2J (or 9.0) N3DS cia pack in sdmc:/updates/<cia files>.cia. Then, delete/remove 000400102002CA00.cia from the update folder

Use browserhax to boot menuhax manager, click "Install" then config type 1. Touch the bottom screen pressing no buttons, then reboot without pushing any buttons.

This should boot into HBL on coldboot, run FTBrony and close pressing B twice, then run SysUpdater and press Y to downgrade.

^This might take a couple of reboots before it finally works. Initializing the downgrade exploit isn't very consistent for some people.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when you reboot after the downgrade, you'll have to delete the menuhax payloads or put the 9.2 ones on instead, or it'll just hang on you unless you remove the sd card

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,
Reactions: kiwiis and Zidapi

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much for the details crispy, I'm now here:
"This should boot into HBL on coldboot, run FTBrony and close pressing B twice, then run SysUpdater and press Y to downgrade."

I launch sysupdater (the new one), but black screen on my first try. I think that's what cultopi refered to as "tries".
So I'll keep on rebooting and trying as long as I don't get the "press Y" to downgrade, correct?

edit: also, i still have wifi enabled, should i disable it?

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much for the details crispy, I'm now here:
"This should boot into HBL on coldboot, run FTBrony and close pressing B twice, then run SysUpdater and press Y to downgrade."

I launch sysupdater (the new one), but black screen on my first try. I think that's what cultopi refered to as "tries".
So I'll keep on rebooting and trying as long as I don't get the "press Y" to downgrade, correct?

edit: also, i still have wifi enabled, should i disable it?
Yeah pretty much. You can also, instead of running FTBrony, disabling Wi-Fi and pressing Y then A in the HBL to do the Net trick. I haven't done that method myself, though, but it's worth a shot.

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, at least I'm on the right track. ;)
Now sysupdater launches and after pressing Y I get:
----
titleException
main.cpp:108: Result: 0xD900182F
Failed to get CIA file info!
-----
Guess I have to try again and again to pass this point..

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, at least I'm on the right track. ;)
Now sysupdater launches and after pressing Y I get:
----
titleException
-----
Guess I have to try again and again to pass this point..
Actually, that could mean you have the wrong downgrade files or there's hidden files in /updates/ which is causing reading errors. Are you using a Mac, by chance?

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm on PC, the "updates" folder at the root of sdcard. it contains exactly 100 files after removing 000400102002CA00.cia.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm on PC, the "updates" folder at the root of sdcard. it contains exactly 100 files after removing 000400102002CA00.cia.
Actually, 0xD900182F is the same error me and 2 other people got in another thread: https://gbatemp.net/entry/the-memchunkhax2-hype-post-with-3dsx.10938/#comment-120150

I was dumb and downloaded the O3DS files, one person updated to 10.3 from 10.1, and the third person I'm actually unsure how they fixed it.... Really strange bug. Maybe try the other build? (Steven's/tux's)

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but.. other builds of what? xD
Also I'm sure the update cias are good, grabbed them both on that iso site and duowan thread, and compared them: md5 match.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
cultopi, if you try again, can you check if the upgrade to 10.3J from 8.1J works OK if MSET has been downgraded on 8.1J ?
that's my main concern. Also if you could write a small tutorial on the method you used that'd be awesome, no hardmod here ^^;

A downgraded mset (4.5 sys settings) on 8.1 jp n3ds is perfectly safe to update to 10.3. I have done it and have menuhax booting.

Reactions: Zidapi

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still trying and always getting the same bloody error:
--
--
Tried another sdcard, same..
Anyone else doing this 8.1J -> 9.2J thing ^^;

adeptrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Japanese N3ds 8.1.0j system and found out that my Gateway card needs to be at 9.0-9.2 :/ So, now I'm weighing my options. Should I get a sky3ds (and a cubic ninja J rom) and use the 8.1.0j-9.2j tutorial or just update to 10.3 and risk the downgrade? Honestly, buying a sky3ds, after already buying a gateway, is really not appealing..but, this downgrade method doesn't seem 100%. Is there a way I can use my current gateway card to backup my current sysnand so if I update to 10.3 and this doesn't work I can go back to 8.1.0j?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I just bought a Japanese N3ds 8.1.0j system and found out that my Gateway card needs to be at 9.0-9.2 :/ So, now I'm weighing my options. Should I get a sky3ds (and a cubic ninja J rom) and use the 8.1.0j-9.2j tutorial or just update to 10.3 and risk the downgrade? Honestly, buying a sky3ds, after already buying a gateway, is really not appealing..but, this downgrade method doesn't seem 100%. Is there a way I can use my current gateway card to backup my current sysnand so if I update to 10.3 and this doesn't work I can go back to 8.1.0j?

Gateway works on 8.1 JP consoles, yet you need a homebrew entry point like Cubic Ninja or Zelda to boot GW and then afterwards use the mset downgrader on 8.1 to downgrade back to 4.5 sys settings to use the DS profile exploit. Once in you can dump the 8.1 nand.

I used that method for over a year until I upgraded to 9.2 using the soap method, yet I have also updated from 9.2 to 10.3 and now 9.2 again (actually 9.1 due to sys version mismatch but its not a issue) using the downgrader.

adeptrain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway works on 8.1 JP consoles, yet you need a homebrew entry point like Cubic Ninja or Zelda to boot GW and then afterwards use the mset downgrader on 8.1 to downgrade back to 4.5 sys settings to use the DS profile exploit. Once in you can dump the 8.1 nand.

I used that method for over a year until I upgraded to 9.2 using the soap method, yet I have also updated from 9.2 to 10.3 and now 9.2 again (actually 9.1 due to sys version mismatch but its not a issue) using the downgrader.
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the whole CN and Zelda entry point. I've already invested a lot in my new 3ds and am trying to decide if I should just risk it and update/downgrade....

TheShadowRunner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK WOW, IT WORKED!!
Now on 9.1.0-20J.

I dunno why it worked this time and not the others. I stayed in ftpbrony like 20 minutes while i was doing replying to mails and checking the forum. Then launched sysupdater like the previous 100+ times or whatever, pressed Y immeditaly and it just started downgrading, FUCK YEAH!
It also auto-rebooted after the 10 seconds message on its own, i didn't have to force power off or do anything.
Wonderful! ;D

adeptrain, be persistent if you attempt it, but chose FAST. It won't take long before Nintendo puts 10.4 up.
This was my main concern, doing it before they pull 10.3..

Thanks Crispy & retrofan!

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
OK WOW, IT WORKED!!
Now on 9.1.0-20J.

I dunno why it worked this time and not the others. I stayed in ftpbrony like 20 minutes while i was doing replying to mails and checking the forum. Then launched sysupdater like the previous 100+ times or whatever, pressed Y immeditaly and it just started downgrading, FUCK YEAH!
It also auto-rebooted after the 10 seconds message on its own, i didn't have to force power off or do anything.
Wonderful! ;D

Thanks Crispy & retrofan!

Glad you got it sorted enjoy:)

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
One issue I have found is that if you have a gateway card, emunand does not seem to update. I don't know if this is a problem with the version showing 9.1, even though 9.2 files was used?

Previously when I was on 8.1, i used 9.5 firmware files to update the 8.1 emunand to 9.5, which worked fine having a unlinked sys and emunand. However, after using this downgrader and version showing 9.1, the same 9.5 firmware files I used before fail to install correctly on the 9.1 emunand, as one CIA refuses to install (gives an error)
0004003000009502.cia is invalid

. I aborted the install, yet home settings were created after a restart, like it was a new update, yet the version in emunand is still showing 9.1.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Syphurith
Did you try/have any issues updating emunand to 9.5 after updating to 9.1 from 8.1jp? without getting 0004003000009502.cia is invalid errors?

Last edited by retrofan_k,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.