N3DS 8.1J to 9.2J, is there a new solution?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheShadowRunner, Jan 4, 2016.

1. TheShadowRunner
    OP

TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    In light of all the new developments, I wonder what's currently the best way to got from 8.1J to 9.2J.

- Japan N3DS with sysnand on 8.1, MSET has been downgraded for GW.
    - GW blue card & red card
    - copy of jpn OoT

I just would like to update sysnand to 9.2J to autoboot GW emunand on cold boot.

With all the different hacks/methods/updates that have been released the past few days/hours, I'm confused as fuck.

Please advise if you have experience with this!
    Thanks.

2. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Update to 10.3 via system settings, then downgrade to 9.1 with the files available from "the ISO site"

CrispyYoshi and Ericjwg like this.
  3. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    1. upgrade to 10.3 first, then downgrade to 9.0-9.2;)
    2. setup own local server for upgrade to 9.0-9.2

I prefer first one

4. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    The problem is i did downgrade MSET per GW instructions, so my sysnand 8.1J does NOT have the stock 8.1J MSET.
    I wonder if that could fuck it up when updgrading "officially" to 10.3J.

Also, i'm confused as to which method to use for entrypoint. I only have JPN OoT..

Last edited by TheShadowRunner, Jan 4, 2016
  5. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    You can always just rxtools your way into cfw, then install FBI/DevMenu and downgrade MSET with those in Pasta Mode.

Also, if you're going to downgrade non-XL n3dsj, don't forget to delete 000400102002CA00.cia from the update pack or you will brick when downgrading.

6. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Why would i want to downgrade MSET, did you even read what this thread's about?
    Besides rxtools requires CN which I don't have.

Again, what the hell, ALL JPN N3DS mustn't install 000400102002CA00, or they'll brick. There's no distinction between XL or reg size.

kiwiis likes this.
  7. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I actually meant all N3DSJ, sorry: I've been talking a bunch about the non-XL american n3ds, so I got mixed up.

I suggested downgrading MSET if you were updating to 10.3, but I suppose shufflehax could work as an entrypoint too.

If you update, downgrade to 9.2 then set up coldboot for shufflehax, you can replace the boot with gateway's and you should be good.

TheShadowRunner likes this.
  8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    I wish I could assure you that updating to 10.3 with a downgraded MSET won't cause any problems.

It shouldn't matter at all, it simply checks if the current installed version is lower than the version on the server and updates the title if it isn't. Whether it's on 8.1, 9.0 or 4.5, the response should be the same, "this version is older than the latest one, update it".

Best wait for someone to give you a definitive answer though if you're unsure.

TheShadowRunner likes this.
  9. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    I just did a test with 8.1J by upgrading to 10.3J, then I use ninjhax 2.5 as entrypoint to downgrade. I am not sure if browserhax for 10.3 is out yet, so you might find it out. As for downgrading, I rebooted 10+ times to get it to work. And if you do want to try it, remove that cia that all other posts are talking about. I think it is pretty safe. Just don't power off after you press Y after it prompts you to.

Last edited by cultopi, Jan 4, 2016
  10. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    I used browserhax on my 10.3J N3DS to install menuhax, then it worked on menuhax.

11. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    may I have the link to the browserhax file please?

12. CrispyYoshi

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Just scan the qr code on this page: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

Let it connect and it'll automatically download+use the payload on your sd card.

EDIT: Or wait, I think browserhax makes you do it manually. If that doesn't work, download the payload manually from https://smealum.github.io/3ds/ (scroll down for otherapp and dl it, then put on sd root)

Last edited by CrispyYoshi, Jan 4, 2016
  13. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    oh cool, let me try again. Gonna update and downgrade again.

TheShadowRunner and CrispyYoshi like this.
  14. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    cultopi, if you try again, can you check if the upgrade to 10.3J from 8.1J works OK if MSET has been downgraded on 8.1J ?
    that's my main concern. Also if you could write a small tutorial on the method you used that'd be awesome, no hardmod here ^^;

15. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    What you can do is-install 9.X mset in GW sysnand mode, reboot back to regular sysnand, then update

16. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    That's another interrogation, cultopi.
    It seems the original MSET on 8.1J wasn't v9224 but v8198 as indicated here : http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list
    While v9224 is widely available, v8198 is not.
    Could you check which original/factory version of MSET is installed on your stock 8.1J?

17. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    Not gonna take the risk for you, I don't have hardmod. But I can confirm that from stock 8.1J to 10.3J back to 9.1J works. I tried both ninjhax and browserhax. If nintendo rolls out 10.4 tomorrow, don't come cry.

18. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Fair enough! I didn't ask for you to try another rev though, just to check which one is installed on your stock 8.1J.

And yeah time is of the essence as 10.3 isn't gonna stay online forever, no doubts.

Again a small tuto would be more than welcome, for all those of us unfamiliar with these -hax methods.

The more details, the best, if you could.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner, Jan 4, 2016
  19. TheShadowRunner
    OP

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Ok so I restored original MSET by flashing a nand image i took with all 8.1J official files (didn't want to gamble with v9224 versus v8198).
    Now currently updating to 10.3J via Wifi.

CrispyYoshi and cutlopi, I'm going to attempt the browerhax entrypoint. Could you detail only that part if you have a little time?
    I think it's the method you both used, thanks!

Zidapi likes this.
  20. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    Tutorial is everywhere in this homebrew section now. https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-the-simple-guide-to-downgrading-your-3ds.407888/
    For me I rebooted 10+ times to get it work, but someone posted 75 times before they got it to work.