Hacking N3DS 8.1 with gateway, need hand holding

PatmanForrever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just scored a really nice deal on a Japanese N3DS with firmware 8.1 and a gateway card. I want to be able to use it in English, play my official carts, and maybe put GBA games on it. Any help is appreciated, I've never done anything with the 3DS before.

PatmanForrever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been reading through the guides and I feel as though I'm getting a good understanding of terms and why things work the way they do.

Is there a step by step for setting up a new console and new gateway from open box to booting from emunand somewhere?

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
stay with gateway, rxtools n3ds sucks for now. if you're in o3DS, there's absolutely no reason to go gateway.

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been reading through the guides and I feel as though I'm getting a good understanding of terms and why things work the way they do.

Is there a step by step for setting up a new console and new gateway from open box to booting from emunand somewhere?
One question: Do you have the web browser on your 8.1?

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly I would update to 10.3 before 10.4 comes out and downgrade to 9.2 because it's a lot easier than trying to update to 9.2

But that's just me

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly I would update to 10.3 before 10.4 comes out and downgrade to 9.2 because it's a lot easier than trying to update to 9.2

i agree with this. more doors to exploits is always good. i'm pretty sure one day rxTools will catch up or if not take over gateway.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
One question: Do you have the web browser on your 8.1?
new 3ds + 8.1 = no browser always.

OP you should stay on that firmware. You can always update to a higher firm later if something amazing comes along (most likely with gateway). The upgrade/downgrade 10.3 to 9.2 trick everybody's doing now is really dangerous on n3ds. You can play a lot of (if not all) games with 8.1+GW+9.5 emunand besides.

Another trick to "reserve" 10.3 before 10.4 is out is to download the update nag, but I don't recommend that for a beginner (but you can delete it with the recovery trick).

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
...Why would you want a Japanese console to use it in English? Just look for one with a good deal in America or Europe. ?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
...Why would you want a Japanese console to use it in English? Just look for one with a good deal in America or Europe. ?
Very high chance of <=9.2 with reg sized new3ds.
I got my first n3ds for $180 shipped back last Nov. 2014.

Last edited by zoogie,

PatmanForrever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only because it was a like new console with the gateway for 155 total, if I were planning this more effectively I'd have gone for an AUS unit but it all just fell into my lap. I read the manual for gateway and it seems like the guide I've wanted all along, nothing will be in hand until Thursday probably so I'm just getting up to speed in anticipation.

My biggest confusion right now is how to get the emunand in English I guess.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
You can either go

8.1 > 9.1 via private nus server > install 9.2 u Cia > swap secure_a > remove jpn files > add cfw

Or

8.1 > cart or Ota update to 10.3 or less > install 9.2 u Cia > swap secure_a > remove jpn files > add cfw

PatmanForrever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can either go

8.1 > 9.1 via private nus server > install 9.2 u Cia > swap secure_a > remove jpn files > add cfw

Or

8.1 > cart or Ota update to 10.3 or less > install 9.2 u Cia > swap secure_a > remove jpn files > add cfw

That's a bit over my head at the moment, I'll figure it out though.

New question - what games would have the update I need for either of your suggestions, and can they apply to the console If the games are USA and the console is JPN.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit over my head at the moment, I'll figure it out though.

New question - what games would have the update I need for either of your suggestions, and can they apply to the console If the games are USA and the console is JPN.

It would need to be a Japanese game; if that's too difficult to achieve update to 10.3 ota asap. I also offer send away services pm for details

ashinnblunts

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup