N2DSXL Hardmod & pinout findings & progression

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bo7amada, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
    Hi all,

After the recent west release of N2DSXL & the high demand of hardmod or hacking guides in general, I thought it would be helpful to start a thread for all the hardmodders to share knowledge, experiments, findings, progression and information to hopefully achieve the goal quicker.

I personally believe hardmodding is the cleaner/swiftier way to hack the console and it is more entertaining, it also have the advantages of not needing another device, nor a flashcart+action replay like the upcoming NTRboothax.

So I got my self an N2DSLL, opened it up, but nothing more than that. I've got decent skills & knowledge in electronics, but not sure where to start and how to identify the pinouts (data0, clk, cmd). I can have access to an oscilloscope & multi-meter for all signal viewing and measuring stuff. So please, if anyone could suggest something to work on we can start doing trial and error (I don't mind risking the console).

It's worth noting that Nintendo in the past tried many different tricks, like hiding pinouts under the cartridge cage & on the other side of the board, and in some cases people had the obvious clk pinout not working so they had to use an alternative. So I would not imagine they're going to be easy or readily exposed, but we'll see.

I'm also worried that Nintendo would do something to make the card readers incompatible with the nand chip? in that case I'm not sure how's the workaround.

Anyway, I've added a PCB img to point or mark stuff (credit to youtuber "H H").

PCB.jpg

I've also googled this chip code number, and I found it strange that it belongs to texas instrument, where in previous 3DS models nand chips were Samsung/Toshiba made. is that the nand chip to begin with?

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Last edited by zoogie, Jul 30, 2017
    Bo7amada likes this.
  3. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    i think that those resistors are data0-3
    and also the track coming down from the nand is either clk or cmd
    the traces near the nad are not clear enaugh to guess
    http://imgur.com/a/petSE

Last edited by mitroux, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
    How can u comfirm is the question?

Guessing 3 spots out of 30 & trying to dump every time would take forever if the nand survived that is..

5. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    once i get one of those n2dsxl , i can remove the nand and confirm the pinout of each of the nand solder points

6. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
  7. pbanj

pbanj The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    i gave it a try. got a blue screen. pc didnt see it, tried the anker and the tek republic reader. so i started checking points. with just clk and gnd hooked up the system should blue screen, it boots right to the home menu

8. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
    I unfortunately stripped 2 screws of excitement.. Couldn't open it up.

Will get a reverse drill bit later today & try out at night.

9. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    At least you didn't get everything done to find out it doesn't work lol

Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
  11. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
    These doesn't look like the points he labeled

12. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    the point you soldered the GND wire to is not connected anywhere , change the gnd point and it should work

also i would like if you can check if those points has alternatives on the other side of the motherboard (surely there are one test point of each of the cmd and data0-3)

Last edited by mitroux, Aug 1, 2017
  13. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    I already changed to a different ground. That was one of the first things I tried.

14. Bo7amada
    OP

Bo7amada Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    Bahrain
    I'm using an Anker card reader, no success yet.. Do U think that is the issue?

15. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    give me a few min ill check with my anker. i got it working by switching the ground for a third time. i posted in the other thread with the ground i used

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ya it seems it doesnt like the anker. one of the ones i have blue screens but doesnt show on pc, the other one doesnt seem to trigger a blue screen at all(im betting that one is just broken)

16. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    use any normal sd car reader , power on the n2ds , once you get the 0400 statut remove the normal sd card and plug the anker(don't power off the nds) and it should work

17. consolex

consolex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    France
    After test it's good ;)

-READ NAND OK
    -WRITE NAND OK !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zidapi likes this.
  18. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc

feel i should ask because of the way you marked the points. you only soldered to one side correct?

19. consolex

consolex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2016
    France
    You can solder on the 2 points ;)

pbanj likes this.
  20. pbanj

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    good, that will make for a stronger point. when i was doing the clk point last night i was like god this looks so weak.