Hardware N2DSXL Does Not Power On (No Blue Light)

Itzumi

tinkerer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happened a few days ago, just took it out of my purse to dump some carts, wouldn't power on.
Thought maybe the battery had died or something (It had been a while), charged it until orange light went away, still nothing.
Tried turning it on with the charger plugged in, nothing.

Battery itself looks ok, no swelling or anything.

I'm stumped on this, so I might as well get some more eyes on this to see what's going on.

N2DSXL won't turn on at all, no blue light, not even when plugged into the wall. Battery looks fine.

IC_

Cossus cossus
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you say the battery looks fine then did you take the 2DS apart? Try taking the battery out for some time and also check if the voltage on it is correct if you have any way to do that

Itzumi

tinkerer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you say the battery looks fine then did you take the 2DS apart? Try taking the battery out for some time and also check if the voltage on it is correct if you have any way to do that
Yes, I did. only went as far as needed to get to the battery (took back cover off). I assume multimeter, where to test?

Itzumi

tinkerer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Battery is fine, read 4.13 (already unsure if I kept the number in my head right a few seconds after).

IC_

Cossus cossus
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did you try putting the battery back in now and did it change anything? If not then try checking the fuses on the motherboard if you can find any, but unfortunately I think it's some worse problem that I won't be able to help with

Itzumi

tinkerer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try putting the battery back in now and did it change anything? If not then try checking the fuses on the motherboard if you can find any, but unfortunately I think it's some worse problem that I won't be able to help with
Could this be tested without plugging the IR ribbon cable and Speaker cables in? (They are on the back shell, and the ribbon is an SOB to get plugged back in).

IC_

Cossus cossus
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Could this be tested without plugging the IR ribbon cable and Speaker cables in? (They are on the back shell, and the ribbon is an SOB to get plugged back in).
I'm not sure if the system can boot without those but it would still light up the blue power light and then shut off if it was working normally.

Reactions: Itzumi

Itzumi

tinkerer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the system can boot without those but it would still light up the blue power light and then shut off if it was working normally.
Yeah I was just wondering if it would turn on at all.
It didn't, by the way. So there is something else wrong. I'll start taking things apart, see if there's anything that doesn't look right.

Insomniac8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For what its worth, the 2DS XL can boot just fine without the back panel connected. If you are not getting any power at all, I would check the fuses with a multimeter. I'm afraid i don't actually know where the fuses are though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    about 120GB left on the internal SSD
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and just installed a 512GB SSD with nothing on it yet
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    So in other words only 4 games got installed
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    lol
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    PS5 games are actually considerably smaller than PS4 games
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    better compression/optimization i guess
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    But it only has like 4 games :tpi:
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    what is something you can say about console homebrew but also in the bedroom
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Time to transfer files
    Gift
    "it was so hard the first time"
    +1
    Gift
    "Time to transfer files" bro having sex with robots
    +1
    Gift
    honestly knowing ken that isn't that unbelievable
    +1
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    arent many ps5 exclusives it's true, but there are a whole lot of ps4 games that got ps5 upgrades
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and those have to be stored on one of the SSDs
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    "time to smash the stack"
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Uremum does like to call me dadbot
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nothing beats a midnight shower
    Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I'd say there would be more PS5 exclusives...if people could actually buy PS5s.
    Gift
  • Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    I mean, if no-one can buy a PS5, and thus is stuck with PS4 (Pros), then companies would still see some profit from developing PS4 games with PS5 upgrades; meanwhile, if they developed a PS5 game, then everyone who can't get that console won't buy that game, especially at launch.
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Nah every console starts early with low libraries
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    well theyre churning them out as fast as they possibly can, not like Xbox or PC are faring much better with the chip shortages
    Gift
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    and games still take 4-6 years to develop regardless, so its not like sony can conjure up new exclusives out of thin air
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Makes me wonder what they have now and are actually hiding from the public
    Gift
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I hope in the next 5 years they can move on to even more realistic skin renders and not just make characters look like Shiney clay molds
    Gift
    kenenthk @ kenenthk: I hope in the next 5 years they can move on to even more realistic skin renders and not just...