JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, I need some advice here.

I got a N2DS for cheap, but the power button doesn't always work (which is the reason why I got it for cheap).
When it does, the system boots up and works fine, but when I try to power the N2DS off, there is something weird with typical dark gray screen that shows up with the "Power down" button on the touchscreen.
I have another 3DS and I know that it is not supposed to shut down until you tap that button, but with this N2DS I got it does just after a couple of seconds, without me tapping the power down button on the touchscreen. It kind of looks like a forced shutdown. Do you have any idea if this is a hardware issue with the power button, or a software issue?

I have just formatted the system, and it doesn't seem to have Luma, Rosalina or whatever installed in it yet.

The questions are:
1 - Do I have to replace the power button to fix this "bad circuit" issue, or is there a fix that requires no soldering?
2 - What exactly is the problem with the power down screen that seems to be forcing a shutdown?

Any leads? Thanks in advance!

popy

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have 3x New 2DS XL also bought used.
On two of them the Power button is ok but on one its also something like broken. I have to push it really hard to get recognized.

When you Google, this seems an common issue on those devices.

On AliExpress you can get replacement parts, but you have to solder to get it replaced (no problem for me, because I am an HW engineer [emoji846]).

Can post a link if you need it.

Good luck
pOpY

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: JGSM

popy

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Regarding your question about the shutdown screen. That's the way it is. Nintendo implemented that screen (and the bad power button [emoji846]) to prevent unwanted shutdowns. But you can use an simple app called (3DS quick shutdown), you can find it here :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3ds-quick-shutdown.399981/

Works great over here.

pOpY

JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Regarding your question about the shutdown screen. That's the way it is. Nintendo implemented that screen (and the bad power button [emoji846]) to prevent unwanted shutdowns. But you can use an simple app called (3DS quick shutdown), you can find it here :

Works great over here.

pOpY

Sorry for the hassle again, man. I just found out that applying some pressure around the area of the power button can sometimes turn the console on and off. To be more precise, this happens when I push against a spot between the Select button and the right edge of the touchscreen When the device is on and I apply some pressure, it acts just like I'm actually pressing the power button, meaning it doesn't cut the power all of a sudden, as if I'm removing the battery. It actually goes to that screen that says you're about the shut down the system. Looks like I got myself an invisible power button now.
I'm guessing this is probably not a matter of just replacing the power button now... I have the tools to disassemble the N2DS. Do you have any idea what I should try? Or is the power button replacement still the best thing to do?

JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Works great over here.

pOpY

Omg, stupidest thing in the world: Yesterday I had already opened up the console and checked for anything physically wrong with the button, but today I tried it again, dusted the surroundings of the power button with a little brush, and now the it is working perfectly!

The only issue now is with the wireless connection on DS mode (wireless on 3DS mode works fine), but it doesn't look like I will be able to solve that one...

Reactions: popy

popy

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thx, will also check mine for dust.
PS. : The 3DS Quick Shutdown homebrew is really good.

pOpY

Reactions: JGSM

JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thx, will also check mine for dust.
PS. : The 3DS Quick Shutdown homebrew is really good.

pOpY

Yeah, I was using every time to shut the 3DS down while I was testing and trying out some stuff. Thanks!

Reactions: popy

yadspi

Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I just had a similar problem, I then opened up the 2DS XL and the power button design is just horrible, it's just soldered without anything in the back so with time it starts acting up, I just made a "wall" behind it with electrical tape so it doesn't bend when pushed. I'm scared of powering it on so I barely use it, dunno if there's a better solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways