n00b question

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by fi3nom, Mar 28, 2008.

Mar 28, 2008

n00b question by fi3nom at 7:48 PM (939 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. fi3nom
    OP

Newcomer fi3nom Newbie

United States
    Ok this is a pretty retarded question and I am halfway sure I know the answer, BUT what do the (E), (U), and (J) stand for after the roms? I'm pretty sure it is Europe, USA, and Japan but I need to be sure. Also what is the difference between a (E) and a (U) rom?

2. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Yes you are right, there are regions of games. E is Europe, U is USA, J is Japan.

The differences in E and U are made by the developer, sometimes the Europe has more languages than USA version, sometimes they have different names, slightly different translations of English etc.

3. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think the only difference is the wifi. I'm not 100% positive, but if you have a E game and you select the region option or w/e it is, I'm pretty sure, that it'll search europe, so if your in America, there might be lag.

And everything xjonny said

4. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

It also depends on the game. In Mario Kart DS for example, you could search continental or worldwide. It obviously took longer to search worldwide. Some games might just have continental/worldwide though.

5. fi3nom
    OP

Newcomer fi3nom Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the quick replies, I was going through a bunch of roms and I saw I have like 3 different versions of the same game taking up valuable HD space : )

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Yeah, you can probably get rid of the ones you don't need in that case. Alternatively, if you compress them with 7zip it will automatically determine that they're virtually the same thing, so they will compress very well. I've seen 7zip files containing 10 different versions of the same SNES game, the entire thing taking up less than the size of a single one of them uncompressed.