N-Card vs. M3 Simply

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by KINGOFNOOBS, Apr 2, 2007.

Apr 2, 2007

N-Card vs. M3 Simply by KINGOFNOOBS at 6:08 AM (1,006 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. KINGOFNOOBS
    OP

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok soo here is my problem. Currently, I have a 512MB MicroSD, I did have a 2GB, but I gave it too a friend. So now I have heard about this new N Card. I could pick up a 2GB one for 50$, or I could buy a 2GB MicroSD for 35$. If I get the microSD, then it makes the total for my M3, around 80$. If I get a N-Card, for 50$ I could easily sell my M3 Simply for the difference. They both have 100%ish compatability. What should I do?

The only thing thats holding my back for both parties is, on the M3 Simply part, you have to have a microSD to SD adapter to transfer files locally (Sans DSFTP). On the N-Card front, I won't be able to use the nifty hax with the EZ Flash 3 and 1 card for GBA games...

What should I do?! [​IMG]

2. Achilles

Member Achilles GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, I almost got an R4 instead of the N-Card but figured I'd give the N-Card a shot... and hey, from dealextreme, the 1GB version was only $28 shipped. For what it is, the N-Card works great. It launches every game I've thrown at it with ZERO problems and ZERO slowdown... I couldn't believe how smooth the Portrait of Ruin intro video was.

Now, here are my complaints with it:
    1 - There is currently no DLDI write support, which blows. Any homebrew that needs write access to the card WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY. The Neoflash team has said they're working on write support for the MK5 (which is exactly the same as the N-Card) but they said it would be released like 2 weeks ago and it hasn't shown up yet.

2 - You have to keep track of the slot-2 writer - If you lose this, you're totally screwed. If you lost a Micro-SD to standard SD adapter, you could easily get another one... not so easy with a slot-2 writer.

3 - The slot-2 writer is quite slow... probably twice as slow as writing to a Micro-SD card using USB 2.0. I haven't done specific tests, but that feels about right.

4 - My N-Card CAME WITH A VIRUS! The first time I hooked it up, my virus scanner complained about a trojan horse. I looked on the card and there was an autorun.inf file linking to a .pif shortcut. My virus scanner locked up the .pif and I couldn't edit it so I don't know what it would have done... but be advised.

I'm thinking about getting an R4 anyway just for the homebrew aspect... I have a SuperCard Micro though so I may just use it for homebrew and GBA and use the N-Card for NDS.

Hopefully this helps in some way.

3. KINGOFNOOBS
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I have a Supercard Lite as well. I wished they gave a option for a 4 in 1, USB Writer, Ram, Rumble, and GBA cart. Then there would be no reason for me to ever take it out.

4. ahtin

Member ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    If u dont mind built-in memory, I promise there should be some good news after easter hoilday, there are some sounds abt. a new built-in card in Hong Kong forum.

5. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    I'm pretty sure that the 3-in-1 works with the MK5/N-card, I seem to remember Cory1492 saying something about using his N-card with the 3-in-1.
    n regards to the Neoteam's promise, well...we all know how good the Neoteam is with their promises :/

6. KINGOFNOOBS
    OP

United States
    Do you have any more information on this? If so, please tell. Because I am going this possibly. If I can use the 3 in 1 with full functionality then that would be great!

7. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you only need the N card slot 2 to write games to the N card, you can remove it afterwards and plug in your ez flash v 3 in 1, but yeah for the N card its quite cheap and easy to get, the 1gb N card is only $28 with free shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2069

so its cheaper then a M3 simply, since it comes with a built in 1gb but of course a M3 simply can go up to 2gbs.

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Without DLDI write support, the N-card will not be able to back up saves from the 3-in-1 cart.

9. KINGOFNOOBS
    OP

United States
    So it DOES work with the 3 in 1 cart?

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    He said it Here.
    I don't know if the functionality is as good as the R4/M3 Simply's is right now (since the newest loader update to it can recognize the 3-in-1, right?) But at least we know it works somewhat.