N-card randomly shuts off during gameplay/But only for certain games?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Deos13, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    I figure this is a defect/bad dump of a game.But recently I downloaded two different ones.Mario in time or w/e,an Yoshi Island DS.After putting on Yoshi Island DS .It will just randomly shut off during gameplay during Only that said game.However just to make sure it wasn't a cart going bad,I checked a diff rom an left it on for quite some time..nothing happened.SO I figured it was just that game.But like I said,I went an got two.The other being Mario in time or w/e.Well I put that in an a hour in it turns off DS..

So in conclusion,is this a normal problem with the N-card/clones.Or is this some sort o defect from the game.I read about the save glitch,where you get several save files.An it messes it up,but thats not the problem.Any help appreciated.

2. leinad

Member leinad GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Maybe some bad sectors.
    Backup all your files, start the DS while holding Start+Select and select Full format. Will take some time.

"Shuts off" o_0 ? The whole DS turns of ?? Or do you mean it freezes ?

3. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Never had this happen, and I've played both games. Do as leinad said and update your firmware if it's not up-to-date.

4. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    Well,this is odd..After deleting Yoshi Island,the other one that did it Mario in time or w/e.Stopped doing it.An yes I mean it completely shuts off I was like WTF! lol.So idk but I think thats really retarded.Thats kinda why I thought I would ask you guys,wth is going on.

EDIT: I am up to the latest firmware.I never had any problems,until I downloaded Yoshi,so I deleted it,an its not doing it anymore from what I can tell.

5. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    Hmm, Mario doing it again.Also the new CV game as well.Whats odd is that only the new 1s are doing it.All old games do not shut DS off randomly.I feel stupid for asking,seen as how i've sen it a million times.Bu I have never had to do it.Can you guys tell me the command to formaat please.Also whats the difference between full format an quick?

6. leinad

Germany
    If it seems to appear on random games it realy may be a bad sector.

Im not sure, but I think a quickformat is like just deleting the files and a fullformat resets every sector...
    Please correct me if im wrong, because Im not sure about it.

I think Start+Select while starting the DS will open a selection between full & quick format

7. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    Yeah this is really pissing me off now..After FULL Format its still doing it.New games only.I dont understand this.I have never heard of something like this.Can anyone offer any kind of help.Besides "need to format".As I have already done this.

8. leinad

Germany
    Hm, maybe it has to do with the save-type.

The games that cause the DS to shut of, look at their set savetypes. are they the same ?

9. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    Its not that.I think I may have found it.Its not random.OK heres the set up;

NEsEmu
    SnesEmu
    Vania OOE
    Yugioh
    MLB
    An thats it.

I found something very odd...While i was playing I noticed something,it only really does it on action based games.Where you have to press alot of buttons quickly.I also started to notice something else,it was repeatedly doing it,on the crab boss in Vania OOE.I say this because Magnes had to be used combined with attacking(Y,X)An also jumping to get to magnet for magnes.

So heres were it gets interesting,basically I started testing it.I started with diff combinations.Eventually led to R an B same time(JUmp an Magnes same time.It will immediately go off even from title screen upon pressing those two buttons simultaniously.So I went an tried it on MLB...sure enough R +B =DS goes off..Well the fun doesnt stop there no no no..I tried yugioh,interestingly enough no turn off.This make sense this is a very old game.

Well anyway sorry for the long post,But I am 99% sure I figured it out.However I still need a solution.I have NO IDEA why its doing this.

10. leinad

Germany
    Do you have any other Game-Carts (Maybe official ones~ ?) you could test if its realy the N-Cards fault ? Because a Stutt-Off sounds more like a problem of the DS

11. Heeroo

Member Heeroo GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    hmmm... leinad cna be right

12. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    I do actually an they work fine.I also recently tried a new firmware.No luck still does it.Also,it triggers with X,B same time as well.

EDIT: Leinad,is the Mk5 firmware switchable with F-card?Seems like there still updating that.I saw your dont ask questions faq,an looked at the site.But I wanted to make sure 1st.Im trying anything I can think of to make it stop doing this.

13. leinad

Germany
    F-Card firmare, MK5 firmware and so on are all ripped from N-Card and just switched some images,
    AFAIK no one else then the [inactive?] N-Card team has the sources~

----

I Just have the feeling your Cart is damaged and dies on certain actions, like you mentioned ... Because in the whole time Im taking an eye on the N-Card forum I never heard of such a problem =/

14. Deos13
    OP

Newcomer Deos13 Member

United States
    yea,an that would be an ok statement.Except the fact that it plays yugioh,Zelda an a host of games perfectly fine.Including all homebrew.Thanks for all the help man,but I dont think this will be solved..

As for fixing it,by switching firmwares.You say they just switch images,well then that wont help either.Looks like im fucked xD