n-card=good gift?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by wiithepeople, Nov 25, 2007.

Nov 25, 2007

n-card=good gift? by wiithepeople at 7:42 PM (3,919 Views / 0 Likes) 46 replies

1. wiithepeople
    OP

Member wiithepeople ^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D

United States
    I want to get an n-card for my friend for x-mas (cuz it's cheap XD). I've heard some good stuff about it, I've heard some bad. My other friend's got an n-card and he says it's great, but I've heard a lot about ppl getting saves deleted and problems coming up when trying to put games on it. The n-card has 100% compatibility, right? So does the n-card play games well, or do problems come up? If so, what are the problems? All I care about is commercial games, not homebrew or anything like that. With that in mind, should I buy a n-card or go with something else like the r4 or m3 real?

BTW If I buy the n-card, it'll be from Dealextreme.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to say, if I don't get the n-card for my friend, I'll get the $35 m3 real (english) +rumble pack from DX, + a 1gb microSD (from ?). Reasons are: 1. m3 real is cheap and has good support, and 2. it comes with rumble pack. My friend couldn't care less about gba. But he's got a phat ds, so the rumble pack won't fit. So, if I get the m3, I'll just open up the package, program the microSD and put some games on for him (cuz he's got really slow downloads), and keep the rumble pack! He doesn't know it comes w/ rumble! HEHE I'm evil right? hey, he won't have use for it anyway...so... [​IMG]

2. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    Go for an R4 or an M3 Real.

More versatile and less problems. I'm not exactly sure if the n-card has 100% compatibility.

3. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    Can you elaborate? I know the r4 is good, I have an r4 (look in my sig) and I love it. Can you explain how the r4 or m3 real has less problems?

4. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    hell no get a r4ds

5. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    r4? The m3 on DX is almost the same price, but m3's got some more features (like SDHC support), plus good support. I have an r4, and it's great, but it seems the m3 is better. If I don't get an n-card for him, I'll get an m3.

6. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    I think you need to flash the DS in order to use the N-Card... I'm not too sure..

~Nero

7. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    No, not according to gbatemp's flashcart comparison chart thingy.

8. Rankio

Member Rankio GBAtemp Fan

United States

Obviously these people are using the "new posts" button and posting and don't actually own an N-Card.

The N-Card would make a great gift. They're cheap, have 100% compatibility and you do NOT have to flash your NDS for them to work. Just make sure the card is updated to the latest firmware.

9. Izmar

Newcomer Izmar Member

United States
    The N-Card is a great tool.
    It doesn't have all the super fancy stuff,

but it sure as hell gets the job done at a very attractive price.

It would be a great gift!

and off the record, I think the R4 is over rated, and the people that own them praise them so much because they dont want to look dumb for buying one! lol

and the n-card/clones is under rated! I myself have a DS Fire Link Cart 16Gb (2GB), that I bought from DX! It's fantastic.

10. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I hate my R4! It lags on zelda bosses! Buy an N-Card! R4 owners are retards!

11. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I played the game all the way through and didn't have one slowdown. Could be the media you used. Kingston Japan ftw!

12. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    The slowdowns were almost imperceptible. Id say 95-98% of full speed. I was using kingston japan co1g.
    W/ ncard, you dont have to worry about media type. All games are full speed.

13. Joboman

Newcomer Joboman Member

Canada
    n-card is the cheapest solution! it's amazing! other than slow transfer rate, it has 100% compatability, and no need to patch games. you can skin it and everything with the proper firmware update. doesn't come with a cheating program though.

14. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    I don't think my friend's into cheats [​IMG]

I guess I'll get him an n-card. If he doesn't like it, he can buy an m3 real himself [​IMG]

15. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    The R4 slows down on many games unfortunately, even with a Japanese kingston SD-C01G. Put an R4 next to a real game on Zelda PH, Final Fantasy, etc and they are much slower. However, an N-Card plays exactly like the retail game.

Bottomline: They are worth it. I have games I like to play often on my N-Card and new games / crapware to delete on my R4.

16. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Sure...

The R4 is not overrated at all. But it is true that there are many cards (like the N-card) which are almost as good as the R4 is. Carts like the CycloDS Evolution and M3 Real are even better!

17. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    just from what ive read in reviews and my experience with the R4 i think at this moment the best is a M3Real

18. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    No. Wrong. The best is Ncard.

I dislike the whole R4, M3, G6 corporation.(They are owned by the same people) They have a monopoly on the Flashcart market. They also have poor product support. The smaller Flash carts are the best.

Get an Ncard!

19. Rankio

Member Rankio GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was hoping for that N-Card reader to come out or be more popular. The write speed is pretty slow and also drains the battery of your DS.

20. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States

The ncard has a great skinning communnity, but the skin sites are mostly in japanese. Ncard is a lot easier to skin too. No screwing with what color FF0011 translates to. The ncard allows you to say how much of each color you want. (1-32) Ie 31 red 1 green 1 blue produces red text. Its easier to find the good skins when their are fewer(NCard) that it is to wade through childish crap(R4) to find a suitable skin.