Bitbyte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Last night I was playing some Ultimate Mortal Kombat when all of a sudden my N-card froze as soon as I did a combo with Kabal. I tried it several times but it only happened with Kabal. Then I tried some other roms and they also got stuck at the same point every time, like in Yoshi's Island when I would pass a certain point. So today I did a full format on my Ncard and it told me to put xmenu.dat on it. I never connect/remove USB cables when a device is still powered on, so I shut off the NDS. But then I couldn't even access my N-card anymore; USB mode doesn't work either since my DS doesn't even recognize the N-card anymore. So I read some FAQs and I've tried the L+R+A+B+UP boot method to flash it that way with the xmenu.dat. However, this doesn't work all the time and when it does it says "USB SAFE MODE D14" instead of "USB SAFE BLOCK D14 (ADDR5)" like it states in the FAQs. In Windows the cart is detected as a RAW drive, I can't format it and Partition Magic can't even format it either. So I tried to run the NAND flasher (the NAND_ALL.bat one) and it says it can't even find my cart.

Then I tried to run the NAND flasher one more time, to read the exact error it gave me (for documenting this post), but this time it worked. So if you have the same problem as me, just keep using that combo to access the safe mode and keep trying to run the NAND flasher. If it doesn't work, safely remove the hardware, switch off the NDS and try again.

So now I go the firmware on there (it's udisk.nds that contains the "Operating System" for the N-card) but it keeps complaining for the xmenu.dat. Of course I couldn't put this on there, since my PC didn't recognize it. So then I booted my NDS again and this time it saw the N-Card. I loaded it with the start+select combo to see if that worked. It worked and I pressed cancel on the format menu, then it said something like "error: no flash found". I restarted and my NDS didn't see the N-card anymore. So I tried a couple more times and I accessed it fine. I did a quick format since I had already done a full format at the start. Then, while still in the quick format code screen, where it says everything's done, I connected my NDS again to my PC. Again, it didn't pick it up. So then I rebooted my NDS, I loaded the N-card normally, with the USB plugged in, and finally I could access the cart on my PC. I restarted and everything was working fine, the menu was working again, along with the USB. Copied over some games, tested them, saves working again and the games are working as they should, without any freezes
smile.gif

I hope this helps anyone who might have this problem in the future.

quartercast

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore

It seems you don't quite understand how the N-card works. This should be the sequence you take:

1. Plug in your FireLine and N-card and connect it to your PC
2. Turn on DS whilst pressing L+R+Up+A+B. This will get you into safe mode, where you can flash the bugger using the upgrade batch script.
3. Once flashed, simply turn it off (dont disconnect FireLine)
4. Turn DS back on whilst pressing L+R+Down+A+B to do a quick format.
5. After formatting, the N-card should automatically transfer you into disk mode, at which point you can copy the xmenu.dat system file across (the DSYSTEM preference folder should automatically be generated in newer firmware versions).
6. Eject the USB disk from windows and then disconnect the FireLinker from your DS

There's no need to unplug either cartridge during the entire process, just leave them in the DS. To enter disk mode in general, simply switch your DS on with the Firelink connected up and you'll be given the option to go to disk mode or the main menu. If you're having disk problems, you can substitute step 4 with a full format or use an SD card formatter.

Bitbyte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
--SNIP--

It seems you don't quite understand how the N-card works. This should be the sequence you take:

1. Plug in your FireLine and N-card and connect it to your PC
2. Turn on DS whilst pressing L+R+Up+A+B. This will get you into safe mode, where you can flash the bugger using the upgrade batch script.
3. Once flashed, simply turn it off (dont disconnect FireLine)
4. Turn DS back on whilst pressing L+R+Down+A+B to do a quick format.
5. After formatting, the N-card should automatically transfer you into disk mode, at which point you can copy the xmenu.dat system file across (the DSYSTEM preference folder should automatically be generated in newer firmware versions).
6. Eject the USB disk from windows and then disconnect the FireLinker from your DS

There's no need to unplug either cartridge during the entire process, just leave them in the DS. To enter disk mode in general, simply switch your DS on with the Firelink connected up and you'll be given the option to go to disk mode or the main menu. If you're having disk problems, you can substitute step 4 with a full format or use an SD card formatter.

I do, of course I know how to use it, been using it for quite some time. What you just described is the general method, yeah, but I'm talking about a different problem; you see, I couldn't even use those key combos all the time and like I said the NAND_all.bat didn't even want to work. You are just giving a tutorial on how to install the firmware to your cartridge for the very first time. The problem (and solution) I gave was for when you messed up, for when you forgot to put the xmenu.dat on the cart after a format. Of course it won't work like that, since it holds essential information for the firmware to use and boot the menu.

clarkey999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys
Im goin off my head here folks. I upgraded my kids NCards with 1.45---2.53 supposed latest firmware ( nand_stable 25) menu and on all the games I now get the error Data could not be written. Turn off the power and reinsert the card. Of course when I do this it changes nothing . the games are all listed as before but when trying to load them the same error comes up again. I reformatted and tried running the nand_stable 23. this seemed to run ok but when I turn on again it still says 2.53 in the corner and the error still comes up . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help me someone out there . My kids are drivin me crazy over this. I have reformatted before and after the firmware flash and loaded the appropriate xmenu.dat . I think I am doing something wrong . I want to go back to a firmware rev and menu option that will work again . can someone please point me in the right direction with this. thanks to you all in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)