My XenoPS chip can´t read Ps1 games

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by KirbyPink, Nov 16, 2010.

1. KirbyPink
    OP

KirbyPink GBAtemp Fan

Jun 30, 2006
    Gbatemp
    Right, i have a Ps2. It has the XenoPS chip installed on it. It can read Ps2 games, burned ones,just fine.
    A normal Ps2 is a no-no. Yes, a original Ps2 DVD it can not read. I even tried the same DVD.
    Ive read that it can play Ps1 games. So i download Resident Evil 2 CD 2, run it trough ePSXe and Psxfin. Works just fine, no error at all.
    Start burnining it on IMGburn with no issues. Then i read it trough the EMU again, instead of ISO file i read it from the CD.
    Works fine , no error.

So, i insert a Ps2 burned DVD into the Ps2. Run it and it plays. I turn it off and insert the Ps1 CD.
    And.....! Nothing.

Huh.

I go into the memory card section and is greeted by:
    This CD can not be read.

I go over to my friend who has a chipped Ps1 console.
    Put it in.
    And....! Works.

Okay.

The cd works fine. The ps2 can not read it.
    Do i need to uptade the Ps2? Is XenoPS not compatible with some Ps1 games? Do i need to hold a button? What am i doing wrong?

2. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Does the game work from your burned disc in the emulators? Many ps1 games had pretty good copy protection and i don't know if any burner with any burning software burns the protection correctly on disc.

Also, does it read ps2 CD game backups?

Does it have a funtion to disable the chip? Something like hold reset for 3 seconds on boot. Did you try that?

3. MFDC12

MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    my chipped ps2 will only play ps1 games if i set my drive to debug mode (it is somewhere in the options, i cant remember where but you need to press triangle somewhere and switch it). maybe that will work?

4. KirbyPink
    OP

KirbyPink GBAtemp Fan

Jun 30, 2006
    Gbatemp
    Yes, the burned CD works fine on Emulator like i said.

By Ps2 CD game, you mean burn a Ps2 game on a CD?
    That i don't know. Ive had trouble finding any information about the chip at all.

5. dilav

dilav GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 22, 2006
    United States
    If I remember correct it was a MI clone, I installed one of those and it had problems, maybe a bad chip tho. Does Triangle + Circle bring up a menu, maybe you can change some settings? Also maybe the SX wire is not soldered correctly.