My Xbox Won't Read Certain Games...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by mrtimotei, Dec 4, 2011.

Dec 4, 2011
  1. mrtimotei
    OP

Member mrtimotei The Legends' Proxy

United States
    My Xbox is having a really strange problem... (This will be long)

I barely touch my Xbox. I haven't played it in 3 months. The only reason why I play it is usually because I get gold, or they have those free gold weekend things...
    Anyway, I wanted to play Modern Warfare 2. So I put the game in, and it just said, "Play DVD." I know this usually means the game didn't read correctly, so I opened the tray and closed it again. This time it just said, "Play Game." Not, "Play Modern Warfare 2." So I tried once more to open and close the tray. Same problem, "Play DVD." It basically keeps saying either that, or, "Play Game." So, I did try to play the game, and I just got message saying the disk was dirty, and had to be cleaned. But I took a good look at the disk, and there are no scratches. CRYSTAL CLEAR! So I tried a different game, Halo: Reach. Reads it perfectly fine. I tried Borderlands. It worked. I then played an original Xbox game, Blinx 2 (Which is also "scratched-free"). It read the game, but when I played it, it loads the game, then it gets to this white screen, no noise, and then fades black, and hangs... Can someone explain why these games are having problems?

TL;DR Version: 2 of my games, MW2 (Xbox360) and Blinx2 (Xbox) won't read, but every other game will. What is the problem? The Xbox, or the Games?

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    My guess would be the games themselves, have you tried them on any other Xbox?

3. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    I haven't gotten a chance yet... I know I will when I do get the chance...

4. iluvfupaburgers

Member iluvfupaburgers FUPA Luva

Ecuador
    this used to happen to me too with L4D 2. what i used to do was play a game that worked first than change game. for some reason it fixed by itself though

5. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    Okay, so this fixed Blinx2, but MW2 is still unreadable...

6. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    How's the top of the disc looking? No deep scratches?

7. mrtimotei
    OP

United States
    The top? Er... nope. That's clear too.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    A friend of mine had the "Play DVD" problem with a copy of Mirror's Edge. However, I wouldn't know how exactly to fix it as their disc was one of a batch of bugged discs. You could try getting a cleaning cloth (if you need one, go find a glasses-cleaning kit at walmart or something) and wiping the disc clean for at least two minutes, to be thorough. Remember, smudges and fingerprints can cause these things to happen just as much as scratches can.

However, when it says "Play Game" the game will still work correctly. A lot of times, when I go to play Alan Wake the dashboard says Play Game and it still plays fine.