GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it fell by accident .
it was vertically mounted , and had CoD4 in it .
when i turned it off, i accidentally made it fall and then when i opened the disk tray , the CoD4 disk has a ring on it ...
like a dent, i will take a picture later .
the size of the ring is the same size as those mini disks .

when i put the disk in, it makes a clicking noise and while playing the game, i get the disk error .
hopefully, there is no problem with the DVD Drive, and if there is, ugh ... i don't want to buy another xbox .
i tried putting Halo Reach in, no noise .

so i am guessing there is some problem with CoD4 and the disk drive ?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my xbox is legit !
not modded !
i spent $50 on that game ... -_- .

i haven't fully tested yet ,
but i am gonna go try Halo Reach either today or tomorrow .
hopefully, it's just the disk with the issue.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so long as the drive reads other games and the tray wasn't bent in anyway it should be fine for now, all you are out is a game this time count your self lucky.
If i were you i wouldn't set it vertical from now on, and would watch for disc read errors on your other games as it could be a sign of damage to the dvd drive.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ugh , i want to relocate my xbox .
but i have no other options/choices i can place it at other than my family room since that's where the TV is .

i was considering a monitor with an HDMI port , but atm, i think i have better options/ways to save money .
i could always put it under my TV [since it's on somewhat of a stand] but if lets say i had to move the xbox, it would be a huge hassle . right now, it's just on the carpet which i think is a bad idea for ventilation >_> .

i will probably be playing Reach or MW2 for more than an hour . within at least an hour, i should be able to tell if there is a problem with the drive or not . if there is, what should i do ? buy new xbox or send to microsoft? there wasn't any special warranty when i got it, and it's almost the 1 year since i bought it
ohnoes.png

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your 360 will be fine m8 1000s of people have did the exact same thing and their 360 are fine, It just fucks up your disc. Don't be paranoid over it, If your disc drive is working just now, I can't see there being a problem.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
ugh , i want to relocate my xbox .
but i have no other options/choices i can place it at other than my family room since that's where the TV is .

i was considering a monitor with an HDMI port , but atm, i think i have better options/ways to save money .
i could always put it under my TV [since it's on somewhat of a stand] but if lets say i had to move the xbox, it would be a huge hassle . right now, it's just on the carpet which i think is a bad idea for ventilation >_> .

i will probably be playing Reach or MW2 for more than an hour . within at least an hour, i should be able to tell if there is a problem with the drive or not . if there is, what should i do ? buy new xbox or send to microsoft? there wasn't any special warranty when i got it, and it's almost the 1 year since i bought it
ohnoes.png

i say put it under the tv even if you gotta fight wires to do it, i got mine on top of some card board at the back and front close to the edges so it doesn't get bottom hot so you could try that if you are worried about the bottom getting hot. i also put intake fans at the side it sets on vertically and keep my room and 65 F but you don't have to do that.

though nothing is wrong as of yet, as for Microsoft repairing it.... maybe... if you don't say you dropped it and it's still under warranty other wise you need to get a new 360 dvd drive($20-$40 also may need to buy some tool to do it such as a torx screw driver) to and dump the keys from your broken drive flash to the new one and while your at that you might as well flash hacked firmware too if you don't use Live.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We repair discs at my work, and CoD:MW2 is the number one repair we get. It's known that any slight bump will cause the 360 to spin circle scratched into whatever game is playing. From my experience with customers, when the 360 falls from a vertical position, the scratched are by far the worst.

In an industrial repair machine, the circles never come out completely, because they're deep. Sometimes the game works, and sometimes it's a coaster. Your system's drive should be fine, but unless you can find a nearby shop that repairs discs, you're going to have to invest in a new copy of CoD4.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh ... i ALWAYS use live for my xbox .
if i didn't use live, i'd be investing in PC games .

if i replace the drive, doesn't that mean i can't use xbox live anymore and have a chance of getting banned ?

well... tomorrow i might buy a new Cod4 disc, but for PC instead .
since i play on PC more and is more enjoyable then CoD4 on xbox for me .

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the ixtreme LT firmware is possibly undetectable but if you use live i recommend stock firmware especially if you don't plan on making game backups.
jungleflasher even as a pdf tutorial thats easy enough for most to understand what you'll be doing.
you can use live with normal 360 firmware so as long as you get the stock firmware files and spoof your drives keys to it live should work fine just make sure you get the same model drive that's in your 360.
i don't think you will end up having to do this though.
keep in mind though you might not need to do any of this if the drives ok unless you want to play backups to keep your originals unharmed just giving you info on a worse case scenario.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I did the same to my RE5 when it first came out
suck, but now I don't bump into my xbox anymore

if your xbox can still other games, than there's no worries

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox are not ment to be moved when a disc is in drive... thats what the sticker on the dvd drive said when bought new. This problem happen a lot and was used to called the Ring of Death. But now people think ROD = RROD (Three Red Rings). Your drive is mostly fine, if something is wrong it's probably the laser. And it does recognize the scratched disc as a disc, so its mostly likely fine.

Here in the USA, many movie rental stores have machines that resurfaces the disc for around 5$usd, making them look new and playable again.

Oh and as with putting it under the TV, make sure it has proper ventilation for obvious reasons.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If that disk is currently coastered, try putting toothpaste over the scratch, rub it in and wipe any residue off.
It sounds like a dumb idea but I've ressurected many a game with toothpaste! and besides if it's coastered what have you got to lose?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Option2 I have polished a few of these and got them working fairly well but if you rent it/borrow a copy and do a NXE/hard drive install then you can use the scratched disc to authenticate the game.
Should get some better loading times as well.

If you do want to replace the drive then there are stock firmwares you can use rather than custom.

Edit if it is a year then the original shop should be able to be tapped for replacement.

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
We repair discs at my work, and CoD:MW2 is the number one repair we get.

It's probably from all the people breaking, burning, and toasting their copies of MW2. Commando tends to have that effect on people in real life.

sorry for the link, youtube embedder isn't working for me.

Fun_Zephyr

Trophies
XP
Country
As FAST6191 stated. Rent/hire the game or borrow it from a mate. Install it to the HDD and then use you copy to initialise the game. Once it is installed to the HDD you only need the original to verify you have the original. The install to HDD installs the entire game so the disc does not get read beyond boot.

You can do this on any 360 and it is what I do for ALL my games. It also allows me to tell that my game disc works properly. I would had to get +40 hours into a game to find it was damaged and could nto take it back to get it swapped
smile.gif

ZombiePosessor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
i spent $50 on that game ... -_- .

This is why I pirate shit. Fifty fucking dollars for a disc that can get fucked so easily? You're fucked now, and have to go spend ANOTHER $50 on a shitty game. Plus, wtf is worth $50 anymore now? Oh hey lets play Generic FPS 2010 edition or stupid sports sim 2010. With the lack of originality now in games, who can honestly justify spending $50 of their hard-earned money on bullshit? Unless you used someone else's money to buy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb