My Xbox doesn’t turn on anymore

MonsieurDaz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone, sorry to bother you with this but after a few years without using it, I decided to play the original Xbox.
However, it simply doesn’t turn on. No image on the TV, no light around the power button, nothing. At first, I thought it was the PSU (as I read on the internet), but when I unplug the hard drive’s flex cable, I hear a noise as if the console was turning on, and then nothing.

Could it be the hard drive ?

The console has a chip, but I have no idea which one or anything. A friend of my father’s hardmodded it for me when I was a teenager. If you need more information, guide me and I’ll give it to you.

Thanks a lot!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah something must have leaked in the system most likely a clock cap after 8-12 years if your xbox has a clock cap it'll corrode itself regardless of condition but even after a few years of non use wont be enough to kill your hard drive check for any corrosion underneath the dvd drive if some it means the cap has corroded the traces

Reactions: scroeffie

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, sorry to bother you with this but after a few years without using it, I decided to play the original Xbox.
However, it simply doesn’t turn on. No image on the TV, no light around the power button, nothing. At first, I thought it was the PSU (as I read on the internet), but when I unplug the hard drive’s flex cable, I hear a noise as if the console was turning on, and then nothing.

Could it be the hard drive ?

The console has a chip, but I have no idea which one or anything. A friend of my father’s hardmodded it for me when I was a teenager. If you need more information, guide me and I’ll give it to you.

Thanks a lot!

Yeah something must have leaked in the system most likely a clock cap after 8-12 years if your xbox has a clock cap it'll corrode itself regardless of condition but even after a few years of non use wont be enough to kill your hard drive check for any corrosion underneath the dvd drive if some it means the cap has corroded the traces
I hope whoever softmodded it "unlocked" your XBOX so that you can use any hard drive. That gives me an ideaa......

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope whoever softmodded it "unlocked" your XBOX so that you can use any hard drive. That gives me an ideaa......

Unlocking your softmod xbox will render it useless until you relock it with another xbox with the same eeprom only a tsop or chipped xbox will allow you to unlock it and play without the xbox locking you out and it still has to be the same eeprom for that to work

Hopefully you backed up your eeprom info on a pc so you can change it and use it in another xbox

D

Deleted User

Fixed an Xbox recently by fixing corroded trace. Only had to do 1 trace and its been running good.

NeMesiS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought those traces prevented the XBOX from turningoff as it would reset and not power off... (From my experience)
Have you tried re-soldering the PSU where the connector is for the power cable?
This is very common especially for the FoxLink PSU's!

I had a case where I bought 2 nonworking consoles from someone turns out he had pulled the consoles
apart and put 1.6 PSU in a 1.5 console and vise versa... Swapped em back and they were fine... (Not in this instance)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, to answer your question, they're a fusion Brit-pop/J-pop/electronic band with a woman...