My Windows 8.1 laptop won't boot properly

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,320
  • Replies 17
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm sorry the post is so long, but I want to explain what happened so maybe someone can tell me how to fix this, also I'm not sure if this is in the correct thread.
My computer was working fine until about two days ago, when programs started to stop responding whenever I did pretty much anything, I was still able to do some stuff though. The next day, as soon as I got on the computer, the first thing I did was attempt to clear some files out of my Downloads folder, because I rarely do. While I was doing that, the Windows Explorer windows I had open stopped responding, I left it alone, and then came back and continued to clear files out of my Downloads folder, then the windows stopped responding again, I switched over to the Skype window I had open, and then tried to delete more files, Windows stopped responding entirely, and the whole screen went white, and a window appeared in the corner of the screen saying "Windows Explorer has stopped responding." I couldn't even end the process, so I waited a while, and came back to my computer, but it was still stuck, so I shut off the computer, when I turned it back on, it wouldn't boot properly. It would try to load, and then show the Windows 8 BSOD, and then an error for a split second, and then would try to boot again. I've tried using the Kaspersky Rescue Disc, but it wouldn't mount drive C:/. I also tried to run our Windows 8 x64 setup disc, but it would just stay at a black screen after trying to load, next I'm gonna try running Ubuntu from a USB, and I'm gonna try to grab a few of the files that I need off of my hard drive.
This actually had happened with my computer before, but with no warning at all, and the only way we were able to fix it was by installing Ubuntu, and then re-installing Windows 8. I want to try and avoid doing that this time since there are some files I want to save. I hope someone can help.

(Also, typing on an iPad is horrible.)

D

Deleted User

OP
Bump?
I got Ubuntu to load off of a USB. I'm having issues accessing my C:\ drive.

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
What I did was boot Ubuntu from disc, install it and then do a clean install of Windows 8.1 over it. Maybe MediCat DVD can help you. Your Windows Recover Disc might have scartches on it hence not being read properly.

D

Deleted User

OP
Here's MediCat: https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-dvd-a-multiboot-linux-dvd.361577/

Its a multiboot LiveCD thats caked in testing software and it should see if there are issues with your memory or hard drive. It's what ive used to figure out whats wrong with a computer.

I'll try that in a few minutes, thank you.
Can I unpack this so I can put it on a USB drive?

It's also good to get an external hard drive and save precious files there.

I'd do that if I could, but we don't really have the money right now for a good external HD.

What I did was boot Ubuntu from disc, install it and then do a clean install of Windows 8.1 over it. Maybe MediCat DVD can help you. Your Windows Recover Disc might have scartches on it hence not being read properly.

Yeah, the first time it happened to my laptop, I did that too. I want to get at least one file off of my computer, though, so I've been trying to mount C:\. I'll probably end up doing that afterwards if MediCat doesn't work properly.
Also, this happens with the 32 bit disc as well, and something similar happened last night with a Windows 95 disc I made a while ago. I can't remember what happened, I was so tired when I tried it.

D

Deleted User

OP
oh
1160 bad sectors
2w5927d.png

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I was gonna say that this sounded a little bit like you were on the road to HDD failure. You can try to run tools like chkdsk or whatever it's called that will help to prolong the HDD's life, but getting a new one probably wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I was gonna say that this sounded a little bit like you were on the road to HDD failure. You can try to run tools like chkdsk or whatever it's called that will help to prolong the HDD's life, but getting a new one probably wouldn't be such a bad idea.
How much do new HDDs cost, usually?
i'm poor. if i wasn't, i'd have a new laptop by now

D

Deleted User

OP
So... does anyone know of another way to mount a drive as read-only? I've tried these so far:
Code:
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/theunverse
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/theunverse
mount ro ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/theunverse
mount -ro ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /media/theunverse
mount -ro ntfs-3g /dev/mapper/sda2 /media/theunverse
I've been doing all of this on root, and I also used mkdir to create 'theunverse' before I did anything. (I also have a 'therarestpepe' one, but I decided to make a different one.)

D

Deleted User

OP
Finally got it to mount with this command:
Code:
sudo mount -t "ntfs" -ro "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/theunverse"
When I go to theunverse, there's nothing there.
EDIT: It says I don't have permission to access it.
EDIT AGAIN:
Code:
sudo nautilus
This lets me access the files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...