flashermac

OP
Trophies
Website
www.flashermac.netfirms.com
XP
Country
Hola,

I took the plunge and installed a wiinja (v2) last night.

Everything went fine, but I'm getting the dreaded DREs.

I tested Super Monkey Ball and Wario Smooth Moves, both burnt at 2x with Nero on bulqpak dvd-r.

Wario would start, but would DRE after 5 minutes or so.

Super Monkey Ball wouldn't start, DRE'd before the disk channel start button was activated.

I presume its the crappy medias fault, I only had another one bulkpaq disk left anyway, so I burned exactly the same Super monkey Ball iso, again with nero, but this time at 4x, and this seemed to work ok (No DRE, I only had chance to play it for about 15 minutes though).

I just thought i'd report this, as most advice is to burn as slowly as you can with awkward iso's such as we have for the wii.

I'll pick up some decent disks today, and hopefully this should sort it out, but I'll post the reuslts up here FYI.

I should have more time for some proper testing tonight too - original disks didn't DRE, but I'll give Zelda a couple of hours tonight and see what happens.

Cheers

|fmc|

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
burning slowly is just a myth, its a matter of finding the right media/burning combination, technology is much better now then when it was when people said only do 4x, try good media on 8 and 12 and see what happens... wiinja v2 has solved DRE problems, so its a media issue.

flashermac

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
My burner is max 4x, but I presume the problem is mainly the media, I'll test some other combinations tonight - Ive a few GC backups on RiDisk 8cm dvd-r, so I'll test a few of them as well (they very rarely DRE'd on my GC)

Cheers
|fmc|

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Hola,

I took the plunge and installed a wiinja (v2) last night.

Everything went fine, but I'm getting the dreaded DREs.

I tested Super Monkey Ball and Wario Smooth Moves, both burnt at 2x with Nero on bulqpak dvd-r.

Wario would start, but would DRE after 5 minutes or so.

Super Monkey Ball wouldn't start, DRE'd before the disk channel start button was activated.

I presume its the crappy medias fault, I only had another one bulkpaq disk left anyway, so I burned exactly the same Super monkey Ball iso, again with nero, but this time at 4x, and this seemed to work ok (No DRE, I only had chance to play it for about 15 minutes though).

I just thought i'd report this, as most advice is to burn as slowly as you can with awkward iso's such as we have for the wii.

I'll pick up some decent disks today, and hopefully this should sort it out, but I'll post the reuslts up here FYI.

I should have more time for some proper testing tonight too - original disks didn't DRE, but I'll give Zelda a couple of hours tonight and see what happens.

Cheers

|fmc|
Strange that you advise to burn as slowly as possible when in your own experience a game burnt at 2x didn't work but the same game burnt at 4x did! Mind you, I'm not saying that is conclusive proof that faster is better. I think a lot depends on your media, your burner, your chip and your Wii drive itself.

flashermac

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
I never said that faster was better, or that slower was better, I was just posting my findings for my setup, as someone else may find it useful in the future.

I understand the correlation/causation issue, hence my not saying "burn slowly" or "burn quickly", just posting what happened in my experience.

Cheers
|fmc|

jonm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry flasher, I didn't mean to imply you ever said that slower or faster was better, I was actually just replying to pelago saying "Mind you, I'm not saying that is conclusive proof that faster is better"

but I never meant it as any sort of 'telling off' to anyone
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse