My wiikey wire installation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by huni, Sep 11, 2007.

1. huni
    OP

huni Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2007
    Canada
    Hey,

I just finished installing my wiikey and I took a few pictures in the process so I'm just posting it here so maybe it can help someone.

I have my Wii since a few weeks after the launch last year and I did all the updates online so before installing my wiikey, it was NTSC-U 3.0U.

I did a lot of reading online about wiikey and all this stuff lately and finally, I ordered my wiikey from divineo.com and received it two days later with the genuine hologram, so I am assuming this is an original Wiikey chip, not a clone, but who really knows anyway! I also ordered a triwing screwdriver from divineo because they are cheap anyway and I didnt want to strip any screw.

Before beginning, I have to say that I dont have a lot of soldering experience and I did install my chip without any problem at all and it wasnt that hard after all, just needed to go really slow and be very careful. I didnt feel very confident doing the quick-solder method so I decided to simply do a classic wire install.

So, first thing first, I followed this guide (http://www.wiimotemods.com/73/) to unmount my Wii console. The guide was pretty accurate, except for maybe one screw, but anyway, it was pretty easy to figure it out.

I then used some 30 gauge wire that I had in the basement and cut 6 small wires of about 4" each. I then applied a little flux to each tip of all the wires.
    Then I spotted to right points on the Wii board (http://www.wiikey.cn/images/installWiiKey.pdf) and added a little flux to each either and I was ready to solder one wire to each point.

Here is a picture of the points on my Wii board with the wires soldered to it:

[​IMG]

After that I soldered the other end of each wire to the corresponding point on the wiikey:

[​IMG]

Since I wanted to make sure that the wiikey chip would not touch anything it wasnt supposed to, I didnt tape it at the normal place. Instead, I put some electric tape on the metal plate in the upper part of the Wii drive board (just over the place where the chip normally goes) and then I put the chip on the tape and taped it it place with some more electric tape. I also put a piece of tape on the soldered points on the board and here is how the final job looked like:

[​IMG]

I think my wire installation looks cool and wasnt too hard to do all by myself. I'm sure it would have been more difficult to do the quick-solder method.

So, after putting everything back in place and all the screws, I was ready to give it a try.

First, I tried my originals and everything was working good. Just after, I tried the backup of Metroid Prime 3 that I had just downloaded and burned and to my great pleasure.. it just worked!! You should have seen my smile at this very moment :-)

After that, I tried the only other backup that I have for now, which is Mario Party 8, but it didnt work the first time. It appeared in the channel, but when I tried to start it, I got a DRE message.

Since Metroid was working, I assumed it was just a bad media issue and I burned the iso of Mario Party again and this time, it worked like a charm!

So I think I will have to buy myself some better media since the ones I use right now are pretty cheau TDK DVD-R and I guess I will have some trouble now and then if I dont change brand.

I'm aware of this 1.9b firmware update for the wiikey but I understand that it is mostly for the gamecube backups and since all I want is play Wii backups, I'll just wait for now.

So, all in all, this is it, I hope my little experience will help someone.

Mat

2. SPiko

SPiko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2007
    United States
    Thanks for posting pictures. I htink Im gona go with the wired install as well.

3. hakdizzle

hakdizzle GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2006
    United States
    USA
    pretty good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice