Hacking My Wii U died, are my games dead too?

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U stopped working, and I had a crap ton of games installed on USB. I know HDDs are linked to the system that formatted it, but is there any way to recover the contents, and somehow use them on another Wii U, or do I have no choice but to erase it all and start over? (As a side note, is there any way to use the games installed on the HDD with Cemu?)

gaga24

Trophies
XP
Country
Pirated games goes to HDD, but game ticket goes to NAND. Your new wii u will not have those tickets. So, no, you can not use it again.
You have to start all over.

If your games are genuine, go to eshop and download it again.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you cannot recover your games and no you cannot use the games on the hdd on cemu. It only worked on that one Wii U period, if it's dead you've completely lost them.

What you could do next time if you get another Wii U and have a lot of extra space is download the games but keep them (they'll be WUP files) that's the only way to really have a back up, then you'd just have to install them again.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's theoretically possible to backup the HDD key from eeprom (you did dump it as part of the nand backup, innit?) and install it on the replacement console (assuming the other parts of the key remain unchanged, chiefly the actual disk and its USB interface) - but I'm not aware of a tool to do so being actually available to the public

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My Wii U stopped working, and I had a crap ton of games installed on USB. I know HDDs are linked to the system that formatted it, but is there any way to recover the contents, and somehow use them on another Wii U, or do I have no choice but to erase it all and start over? (As a side note, is there any way to use the games installed on the HDD with Cemu?)
You can dump the files from it if you have a SEEPROM and OTP backup: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wfsdump-pc-util-for-dumping-wfs-devices-wiiu-file-system.478480/
If you don't, the files are lost unless you can repair the Wii U, since the needed keys are console unique.

Reactions: Ryccardo

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think instead of trying to figure out how to use the hdd on another Wii U (which is difficult) why not tell us why the Wii U is dead, and maybe it's not.

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stopped powering on, think something fried out in it. Ended up trashing it, seemed like too much trouble to fix

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1