Hacking My Wii SD Slot won't let me write files to my sd card

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBC apps don't work as well. This just happened recently, I didn't drop my Wii or anything. But anything I use my SD card with on my Wii, nothing can be edited or written to the SD Card. I get errors from the Wii menu saying:
"The SD Card is locked. To save, move, or erase data, please unlock the SD Card"
Hbc apps like WiiMC give me errors like:
"Error writing sd1:\apps\wiimc\settings.xml"
and "Error saving"
Configurable USB loader will sometimes work when I try to download cheats but most of the time i get a random error. I also can not download cover art either, and if I try to it makes all my covers disappear. (Until I restart the app)
I have tried using a new SD card, formatting it with the official SD card formatter. Both the SD cards are 2GB.
The SD cards work just fine on my computer, just not my Wii.
Is there any way I can mod my Wii to make it ignore the SD lock feature.

(Does anyone know why this stupid feature was invented in SD cards anyways, It is so annoying and ruins SD card products.)

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Might be an obvious fix, but you didn't mention if you did check the SD Lock switch on the card.

From Nintendo Support: "The SD Card is locked. To save, move, or erase data, please unlock the SD Card."
QUOTE said:
If you receive this error message, it appears that the SD or SDHC Card has a switch set to "locked." Please try the following:

1. Go back to the Wii menu, and turn the power OFF on the Wii console.
2. Remove the SD or SDHC Card from the Wii console, and look for a small switch.
3. Ensure the switch is in the "unlocked" position.
4. Re-insert the SD or SDHC Card
5. Power the console back ON and try again.

If the steps above do not help, try another SD Card. If you receive this error with more than one SD Card, your Wii console may need to be repaired. Please call 1-800-255-3700 for assistance.
-[]D

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I have said, the SD cards work fine on my laptops, they also work fine on other Wii's. Just not mine. I have also made sure the lock switch is off. I even tried it with it on.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
crwys said:
Like I have said, the SD cards work fine on my laptops, they also work fine on other Wii's. Just not mine. I have also made sure the lock switch is off. I even tried it with it on.
Sometimes the switch gets moved when inserting the card, or the switch might not be in the exact position and there is some play. You can use a small piece of tape and try the switch nudged slightly one way or the other to see if this solves the issue.

Otherwise it would be safe to say that the problem does not exist with the switch and lies elsewhere.

EDIT: A quick search gives this link of a same issue this time caused by the SD Card socket's lever counterpart of the SD Card's lock switch. If your feeling adventurous here's another link to fix the same issue: Wii Repairs - Fix Wii SD Card Reader.

-[]D

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help PPSainity.
I forget about the good old tape trick. Works like a charm now on my Wii now.

the_funtom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HBC apps don't work as well. This just happened recently, I didn't drop my Wii or anything. But anything I use my SD card with on my Wii, nothing can be edited or written to the SD Card. I get errors from the Wii menu saying:
"The SD Card is locked. To save, move, or erase data, please unlock the SD Card"
Hbc apps like WiiMC give me errors like:
"Error writing sd1:\apps\wiimc\settings.xml"
and "Error saving"
Configurable USB loader will sometimes work when I try to download cheats but most of the time i get a random error. I also can not download cover art either, and if I try to it makes all my covers disappear. (Until I restart the app)
I have tried using a new SD card, formatting it with the official SD card formatter. Both the SD cards are 2GB.
The SD cards work just fine on my computer, just not my Wii.
Is there any way I can mod my Wii to make it ignore the SD lock feature.

(Does anyone know why this stupid feature was invented in SD cards anyways, It is so annoying and ruins SD card products.)

Take a piece of tape cut it as slim as the notch on the SD Card....and wrap it around the Card. So I examined the wii and noticed that the inside of the slot fits exactly around the SD Card, and if your lock switch has been used often, it becomes loose and then when you insert it inside the wii it gets pushed to lock and when you pull it out it again slides back to unlocked. It sorted out my issue with my SD Card...I have a SANDisk....It worked fine. Try it out guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: