My Wii is full of crap!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tarkus, Mar 12, 2013.

Mar 12, 2013

My Wii is full of crap! by tarkus at 3:49 AM (669 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. tarkus
    OP

Newcomer tarkus Newbie

Brazil
    Hey guys, I haven't touched my Wii for almost two years, and now I'm back in the gaming bussiness (polyphasic sleeper...) so I need to restore my old brewed white box:

My problem is that my Wii is bloated with older and newer homebrews, IOS, cIOS, patches, etc. I've just updated it, formatted it from the system menu, installed the ModMii's pack, but it's not running nice. Letterbomb didn't even work! I had to run HackMii's ELF from Priiloader (which wasn't deleted after the format, nor was BootMii). Looking at MMM I can see a lot of IOS that it doesn't even know what they are. Running recorded games from the Disc Channel don't work, even after configuring Priiloader to use cIOS 249 for it. Loading games from USB works sometimes, and only for some games.

I'm willing to do a complete format of everything, so I can start hacking it again properly. I've read about a NAND format, what do you think? Is it safe? My Wii is at 4.3U with boot2v4, so BootMii is installed as an IOS, which makes me a little afraid.

Thank you!

2. TyBlood13

Member TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

United States
    Update everything with ModMii, that should fix any problems

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    In order to load burned discs from the System Menu, you need to make sure you're forcing BOTH the games and the system menu itself to use IOS249. USB loading only working sometimes could be a compatibility problem with your HDD. That it only works on some games may mean your cIOS is outdated, so maybe you didn't update it properly?

4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Well that was stupid. You shouldn't have updated or formatted. Did some disaster of a guide lead you to those actions, or did you just figure "why not mess with things I don't understand?" instead of doing a little searching?

5. tarkus
    OP

Newcomer tarkus Newbie

Brazil
    Thanks, that solved that burned discs part! :) My cIOS is updated, as it came from ModMii. I think that the USB loading problem is indeed a compatibility problem with my HDD. I've tried running 3 games from the SD and they run well.

I did an extensive research, and as TyBlood13 said, the most obvious thing is to upgrade with ModMii, which is what I last did. Updating and formatting before from the system menu doesn't poses any risks nor can break anything, it just makes things clear and clean for a fresh start, which is something that I really appreciate, and the reason that I, for example, reinstall my computer's OS from time to time.

Also, I think you could add something valuable to the conversation, like telling me what is that I have done wrong and why, instead of using argumentum ad hominem for raising your ego and trying to look like a badass. If you really want to help, then please tell me why shouldn't I have updated or formatted :sleep: .

And guys, I repeat: I would really prefer to start from scratch. Isn't there any safe way of doing it?

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I'm sorry, I was pretty harsh. I'm just in a bad mood.

Formatting your Wii didn't do anything except delete your saves and channels. Re-installing the System Menu would just remove Priiloader, a form of brick protection, and updating past 4.1 is pointless (4.2+ just removes homebrew and tries to brick your Wii if it is a region changed Korean Wii) and does involve some risk, especially if you used the official method.

None of what you did had any effect on your cIOS/IOS (well the update MIGHT have stubbed some cIOS). They weren't hurting anything either. A NAND format is NOT the way to go, I can tell you that. It's just a huge unnecessary risk.

Post a SysCheck with the guide in my signature.

7. KoopaHax35000vr

Member KoopaHax35000vr Idk

United States
    modmii is awesome.