My Wii has artifact problems, what do I need to know to send it in?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by spoonman54321, Sep 28, 2013.

1. spoonman54321
    OP

spoonman54321 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    I made a NAND backup before actually doing any hacks, so I can restore it. I haven't looked for the steps on that yet but I'm sure if I look it won't be hard.

Is there a way to backup my system as it is now, then just restore it on the new Wii I get sent or will I have to do everything again from scratch on the new replacement Wii?

Any tips on making this process smooth? As it stands right now, the Wii is my favorite system I own and I don't want to do anything to lose the perfect setup I have with it, but the artifacts just keep getting slowly worse and I don't want it to burn out completely before I'm able to even restore the backup.

Any tips at all are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Did you have WiiConenct24 on while the system was off? Some Wii will have artifact because WiiConnect24 turns Wireless on and fan does not spin when system is off (overheating the GPU).

You cannot use NAND backup on any other Wii, it is uniquely tied to the WIi you have right now. Better to buy another Wii and start over again.

3. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    nope, I disabled WiiConnect24 immediately when I hacked it... but this system was bought at gamestop used about two years ago so anything could have happened to it before that. I guess I'll just restore the backup I have now and then send it in. Nintendo is pretty good about giving replacements for a reasonable charge on a wii out of warranty based on everything I've read.

I'm sure I can probably find it, but do you happen to have the process I would use to restore the NAND backup I made of this Wii so I can send it to Nintendo without them seeing an obviously hacked wii?

4. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Did you have bootmii on boot2 or IOS254?

Also it is likely cheaper to buy an used Wii than to pay Nintendo for a replacement. Replacement only has 30 days warranty I believe?

5. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    honestly, I don't remember. I did this two years ago and just kept the NAND backup file I made following the guide that was up at the time. boot2 sounds familiar, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not too sure about just buying another used one. I almost want to buy a new new one but that isn't that cheap.

6. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Well the replacement you get from Nintendo are used, not brand new. Does your Wii goes into bootmii first?

7. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    No, it goes right to the system menu. Then I can launch homebrew channel for NES - PS1 games or CFG USB Loader for GCN/Wii games.

I guess my other other option is to get a Wii U which I want anyway for smash bros when it comes out and then hack the virtual Wii installation. How reliable is that now? Should that be something to seriously consider in your opinion?

PS: Thank you for all your help.

8. SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    It has artifact problems because its an older model and the gpu has been overheated.

Nothing can be done to fix it unless you pay a repair fee. For some its bad, for others its not. I had artifact problems but they weren't a nuisance like I've seen with others.

9. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    I know why it's doing that and I'm OK with paying a repair fee if it's something like $50. Getting another used Wii would be around $80 and a brand new one is about $120 so $50 isn't bad. I'm just trying to get all my options out in front of me so I can decide.

At this moment the artifacts aren't SOOO bad, but they are noticeable and they bug me just because they indicate that at some point the system will completely fail. I want to be in a position to avoid that.

10. SolidSnake95

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Not necessarily, if you treat it right and turn off wiiconnect. I had mine for a long time and it lasted. Got rid of it though so I don't know whats up with it now.

11. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    It's well ventilated, dusted regularly, and WiiConnect24 has never been on since I've owned it. We'll see how it goes.

12. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Are the artifacts like this?
    [​IMG] ?

There's an old myth that Resident Evil 4 overheat the GPU of old wiis, I know that seems clueless, but have you played it recently?

Well, anyway, the only thing you can do now is change your wii's gpu or buy a new wii

13. SolidSnake95

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Mine wasn't that bad thank goodness.

Leo Alves likes this.
  14. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    OH HOLY CRAP NOOOO. Mine are nowhere CLOSE to that bad. Just a few stray pixels here and there. Noticeable, but also ignorable (no that's not a word...) and no, I don't even have RE4.

Leo Alves likes this.
  15. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    keep calm, it's only a matter of time, it will gets worse (Just kidding, i hope you can fix it)

Every time I reset or turn off my wii, huge green and red artifacts appear on the middle of the screen... when i saw it the first time, I was scared and thought the GPU was overheating, but later i discovered that the problem was on my CRT TV, because when I tested on an HDTV nothing strange appeared on it, I had some relief...

and about your NAND backup, as trumptet says you can not use this on another wii as a real nand, but i think you can emulate it using Sneek or Uneek, i am not sure because i never tested it

but maybe someone can confirm it

16. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Isn't it possible to flash the NAND onto another Wii using ohneschwarzzeneger (can't spell it)?

You need to get the keys.bin of the new Wii and the program will convert the old NAND to be compatible with the new Wii. Then you can just restore it. Right?

17. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    this sounds promising. think it would work if i took a NAND of the system in its current (hacked) state, then restore that to the new wii? How would I go about getting the keys file from a new wii? What is this program you're referring to? Any links?

18. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    Link
    Don't get your hopes up too much though :)

I'm not familiar with when/how this program should be used or what it does exactly. You'll have to research a little bit.

19. spoonman54321
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2013
    United States
    hm. seems like it would actually be a safer bet to hack a new one from scratch. at least i remember it being easy, although time consuming. maybe i'll just live with the artifacts as they are for now and see how the new hacks develop over the next while.