Hacking My Wii died, is there any help for me....?

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Long explanation here, have to build two clocks to tell the time on this one......

I had one Wii, that was running on 4.1u and I softmodded to load homebrew. I never installed BootMii, knew/know nothing about it, and most importantly have never needed to do anything with it.

Flash forward to getting another Wii. Did not save the same directions I softmodded with, but knew this community was available for help and updated instructions, which came in handy because the second Wii was 4.2u and needed different instructions anyway.

So I followed the Softmod and Wii 4.2u and lower guide sticky. First time through I made it to the end (deleted the stubs which was new for me) and bam, my Wii is working on 4.2u, kinda. I have a legit NSMBWii, and the Wii won't recognize the disc, saying it needs to be updated. The disc worked before the Softmod, but not after. I took a risk and used the disc as a reset of sorts, and let the disc update my Wii. Really, no problem the Wii updates fine seems to be back to "virgin" status and NSMBWii works again.

So I start over....

Not sure just what I did different this time, but everything works now, including recognizing the NSMBWii disc for what it is. I partition a hard drive and start putting my backups on there(I think I even boot one or two of them), all no problem. I then use Loadstructor to make some game channel wads, and install some other WiiWare wads with WadManager.

Well now my Wii shits the bed....

There were a large number of wads, and I knew the system memory did not have room for all of them, so I only installed a portion of them and was going to reset my Wii and transfer the channels to my SD card then install more channels. Only, when I reset my Wii, I get the warning page that says Press A to Continue, and when I do, nothing happens. The Wii goes blank and won't load the system menu.

Now the second time I softmodded, a little voice in the back of my head said to install BootMii, so I did, but I had to install it as Boot2 and prepare the SD card or some such. (Been a while since I did it, and don't remember everything that went down.) I know BootMii successfully installed, because the Homebrew Channel has a BootMii option (or some such) when I pushed Home after the second softmod. I made a copy of that SD card so I would have everything it had, but am lost. Can my Wii be recovered with BootMii? If so, how? If not, is there any way to recover it? Ultimately, I can buy another one just fine, but it is really a matter of principal to get this one working. I hope I gave enough details (and hope even more that it is fixable).

If anyone is able to help me, I would really appreciate it if your instructions were VERY explicit since I get lost in alot of the terminology and such of this community. And ultimately, thanks in advance for any help, time, or advice.

RisnDevil

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bootmii showing up in the HBC means it's installed as an IOS which does absolutely nothing for a brick especially if you didn't even use it to make a NAND backup. (in which case you could at least use an infectus to flash your NAND again)

If you installed bootmii to boot2, provided you have the bootmii folder on the sd card properly, it should have booted up directly to bootmii before anything else happens. Being a new Wii I doubt you did install to boot2 or even could.

What you should have installed was priiloader so you could have easily fixed this what likely is a banner brick. One of the wads you installed likely had a bad banner which caused the brick. If you had priiloader, you would have been able to load that by holding reset when you boot your Wii to get into the priiloader menu and then load up the HBC and wad manager and uninstall the bad wad (or possibly wads since you did a batch installation). Also if ANY of those wads that you installed were IOS or system menu wad's that is a different story and under no circumstance should you uninstall those given an option to.

If you really did follow xzxero's guide, you should have done this step and installed priiloader and if so, you should be able to fix the brick by doing the above.

RisnDevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
juanjoish said:
try using the gamecube controller method, in order to run an autoboot disc....

Can you please explain what you mean by this?

Fudgenuts64 - I can't get a game to boot/get to the Wii menu to boot a game to do this "fix."

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have a bootmii backup for a bricked wii?

But

sysmenu can't be loaded due to the sysmenu being missing
or
the wad needed to run sysmenu is missing

and

you have a wii in which bootmii can't be installed to boot2?

I think you're fucked.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RisnDevil said:
juanjoish said:

Fudgenuts64 - I can't get a game to boot/get to the Wii menu to boot a game to do this "fix."

Did you try what I told you? Do you know if you installed priiloader before this? Does holding the reset button as you turn your Wii on bring you to any menu?

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did u copy everything u backed up, back on to the sd card and boot ur wii with the sd card in it?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RisnDevil said:
juanjoish said:

Did you try to search?

Open up a gamecube controller and press up+down+left+right at the same time (can't do that without opening the controller) with a disc in that has a system update on it (such as NSMB but I'm not sure anyone has ever tried it with that game before)

Anyway, holding those at the same time when you turn your wii on puts it into some kind of recovery mode.
err... and the controller needs to be plugged into port 4.

google away or search these very forums for more details.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_BootMe is something you could try but for it to work you'll either need to be chipped or heavily modded (such as cIOSCORP) for it to work.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Do you know what drive this Wii have?
It might work to get a modchip and use a autoboot disc that boots up wadmanager.

Problem is the D3-2 drivers, but the old wii might have a working dvd-drive that a modchip can work with.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linuxares said:
Do you know what drive this Wii have?
It might work to get a modchip and use a autoboot disc that boots up wadmanager.

Problem is the D3-2 drivers, but the old wii might have a working dvd-drive that a modchip can work with.

To expand on what he was saying, new Wii's can't be chipped but you can pull the drive from your old wii, install a chip ( a reccomend a Wiikey2 with a solderless clip) and put it in the new Wii just long enough to fix it. You can swap the drives again after that.

+1 for linuxares
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: gn