My Wii Bricked after sitting Idle for 6 months

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mikeycooly, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Mikeycooly
    OP

Newcomer Mikeycooly Member

United States
    After turning my wii on after it sitting for about 6 months, I got " System Files are corrupted" message. I can boot into maintenance mode, bootmii, and recovery mode.
    Before deleting the other IOSs I was able to run the hackmii installer through the maintenance mode and run the HBC.
    After reading these forums it seemed that I needed to get rid of a "bad" IOS. So I went through and got rid of all I could except the system IOS which is 30 for revision 3.3.
    However, I still am receiving the error also, I am unable to boot into the HBC channel because I don't have any IOS but 30. I do not have a NAND backup.
    I can also still boot maintenance mode, bootmii, and recovery mode with only IOS 30.
    Any Suggestions? I can not autoboot the "pink fish disc" because it is 3.3 apparently is there anything I can do in recovery mode to fix it? Thanks!

2. DigitalSquirrel

Member DigitalSquirrel GBAtemp Regular

United States

Try popping in Animal Crossing or something, install a newer sysmenu off it. I think it is 3.4... Don't quote me though, then you can run a 4.0hackup install.

3. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    If you have bootmii then your wii has been on at least once in the last 3-4 months.

Did you make a NAND backup when you installed bootmii?
    You may have to hunt down a system menu wad and install via WAD manager. Also, check out a program called NUS Downloader. You can download IOS directly from the Nintendo servers and automatically spit out a WAD that you can then install via WAD Manager.

4. Mikeycooly
    OP

United States
    I installed bootmii after "System files are corrupted" because I was able to boot the hackmii installer in maintenance mode.

I do not have a NAND backup as the backup would also be corrupted since I installed it after it was corrupted.

I cannot start the WAD manager because I only have IOS 30. Also, maintenance mode seems to be unable to configure wifi because of some wiiconnect24 problem so I am unable to use programs rtthat download.

Also I should mention I have a wiikey v1 and a launch wii.

5. wrettcaughn

United States
    I apologize for not reading all the way through your first post the first time.

Not sure why you deleted all IOS... Was there a thread on this site that told you to do that?

With bootmii the third button on the screen is a .dol loader. Try booting WAD Manager through that. The dol has to be on the root of your SD card and you might want to name it WAD Manager.dol instead of boot.dol so you know what it is.

6. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    what idiot or what thread is giving you the idea on going mental to decide to delete all your'e required IOS's? this is getting way beyond a joke now.

7. Mikeycooly
    OP

United States
    There wasn't a specific thread but what I got from the many brick threads was that there was a "bad" IOS that was preventing it from booting and the solution was to remove the "bad" IOS. So I removed with Any channel deleter all the way down to the last one which I couldn't remove without fully bricking it. Which I realize now was most likely a poor decision.

Also booting a dol through bootmii fails. Even if it's in the root directory.

8. wrettcaughn

United States
    I think recovering a system with only IOS30 to work with may be beyond the abilities of anyone on this site. Sorry dude but you might want to give Nintendo a call and get ready to pay some postage and repair costs...

9. UranusKiller

United Kingdom
    thy mean channels not ios's, and lets face it only idiots get bricks nowadays, only those who actually test creating channels/creating animation etc and receive bricks but recover aren't. But those that install anything such as channels without protection should just leave it alone and go play pokemon.

10. Mikeycooly
    OP

United States
    I can use bannerbomb in maintenance mode and I can boot the wad manager. Which WADs should I installed to fix this issue.

11. UranusKiller

United Kingdom
    IOS36 etc.

12. DigitalSquirrel

United States
    Fuck using any WADs, go ahead and use Wakinokos 4.0 updater and get your normal sysmenu back.

13. OtakuGamerZ

Member OtakuGamerZ GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I recieve homebrew update via wii's internal e-mail which means turn on and check mail or have a blue light until it self asploads bricks like yours.
    Speak of the devil...Pokemon HG & SS

14. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    He already said he can't configure WiFi, meaning he can't use the updater app.

15. DigitalSquirrel

United States
    Oops, thats what I get for not reading... fine use the wad installer to install 4.0 menu.

16. Mikeycooly
    OP

United States
    I now have reinstalled some WADs and the HBC. What should I do next?

17. DigitalSquirrel

United States
    Get an offline sysmenu updater and find a 4.0 channel wad.

18. wrettcaughn

United States
    exactly what I told him in my first post... it might take a few more people giving that answer before he finally does it...

19. WiiLee

Member WiiLee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    use waninkokos 4.0 updater it is safe

20. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    He's already said he cant configure wifi on the wii. Waninkokos updater wouldnt do him any good.

What about using bannerbomb and installing preloader then use the preloader autoboot dischack to autoboot a disc that has a higher update on it.

EDIT:

I seen you were able to install some wads and HBC back.

Are you able to load the wii menu at all now? Seeing how you never deleted the ios it uses.

If so just find a game that has an update on it and run the update.