Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you are talking about carbon dating, is inaccurate. when something is older than 16 thousands results are extremely off. a shoe found from the civil war was carbon dated at about 36 thousand years old. not very effective

also the worlds oldest tree is roughly 42 hundred years old, the sahara dessert took about 42 hundred years to form, and for niagro falls to erode far back enough to be at it's current state it would take about 42 hundred years, and according to the bible the flood happened about 42 hundred years ago. 2 of every species would be possible to the long lives that people lived back then, people lived longer thanks to jewish law that forbid eating unclean animals (pigs, lobsters, crabs, ect.) allowing for people to live healthier. Also at some point that i dont remeber exactly (sorry) god placed a curse on man that would not allow them to live past a certain age.

There seems to be an intelligence drift in this discussion, atheist/agnostics/non-believers seem to be more knowledgable .sigh.

First of, carbon dating isn't the only means of identifying a specimens age. Maybe you have heard of other isotopes?

You serious about the length of age thing, with all the medical advances... im not wasting my time to be honest, and muslims and jews nowadays dont eat pigs, hmm strange that they only live to the average life span.

Wow curse, thats logical man, I mean here I thought all my life that it was the oxidation of organic substances and apoptosis(cell death) that happens throughout our lives, guess I was wrong, damn this curse :'(

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As far as poorly designed organs go...... what are the odds that a human of such complexity would come out at random, with one flaw, the human body is an extremely complex thing and one organ that isn't the best is not good enough of an excuse.

You seem to have misunderstood the concept of evolution, it is the exact opposite of random. Having the most advantageous traits in a species (a cheetah being particularly fast for example) mean an animal is more prosperous and is able to mate more, so only those 'best' traits get passed on. It's an incredibly slow process, but it is far from random.
No, that's "Natural Selection" which is undeniably fact with even creationists agreeing.

shy.gif

You got me, although natural selection is a part of evolution, I should have mentioned species divergence. In my defence, it is 3am.

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Babies are born with "original sin," and that's why they have to be baptized. To die without being baptized, then, is to die a sinner and hence you go to hell.

My little sister was just baptized, and that's how the priest explained it to me.

That is one view, but the church I attended whilst still practicing would probally deem that statement un-Christian.

My mom was told by a priest that if I was not baptised that I would die and go to hell.

From that point on, Religion played little role on our family.

Believe in yourself. Be a good person. Have great friends. Live your life. Enjoy it

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You got me, although natural selection is a part of evolution, I should have mentioned species divergence. In my defence, it is 3am.

Actually you are right, natural selection is the method by which evolution is carried out. Think of it as micromanagement that ultimately fits in to create a larger picture

chalupa

Trophies
Website
nandatoe.tk
XP
Country
United States
Babies are born with "original sin," and that's why they have to be baptized. To die without being baptized, then, is to die a sinner and hence you go to hell.

My little sister was just baptized, and that's how the priest explained it to me.

That is one view, but the church I attended whilst still practicing would probally deem that statement un-Christian.

My mom was told by a priest that if I was not baptised that I would die and go to hell.

From that point on, Religion played little role on our family.

Believe in yourself. Be a good person. Have great friends. Live your life. Enjoy it
Then i am very sorry for you, i would recommend finding a different church without someone with such blaten lies leading the church. there are some not so good churches out there so be careful (your example) tragically i am pretty sure i live nowhere near you so cant recommend anything sorry.
frown.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Did anyone even read my post earlier?

If you believe in the Bible it is directly evidenced that hell is not a place of eternal torment: http://www.equipministry.com/studies/mythhell.htm
(not affiliated with the site or the church that runs it in any way)

Instead of listening solely to what your church tells you, assess your own beliefs, educate yourself, and make up your own mind.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
totally. at this point it doesn't really make sense to believe in the bible or other holy books. They have been shot so full of holes by science that they aren't even marginally valid.

chalupa

Trophies
Website
nandatoe.tk
XP
Country
United States

If you believe in the Bible it is directly evidenced that hell is not a place of eternal torment: http://www.equipministry.com/studies/mythhell.htm

Instead of listening solely to what your church tells you, assess your own beliefs, educate yourself, and make up your own mind.

I agree with finding things for yourself, whole heartedly.
Be carefull with sights like this though and remember to look up the verse yourself as people like to take things out of context.

for real this time, goodnight.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

That's why I'd love religion to be taught in schools from a very early age. All religions. Unbiased-ly. "These people believe this, these people believe this, these people used to believe this." And then the kids can make up their own minds. And once they do, they'll be much more tolerant and understanding about the rest of the world.

/dream

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm catholic and don't believe in half of what the church says. what does that mean i dont know. But what separates different religions pisses me off. Not the fact that it IS a religion, but that it's a different religion, or a religion that has subdivisions. An example: Shuni and Shiite muslims. They demand different mosques, etc because one believes Muhammad's wife deserved the something, and the other believes his sone deserved tthe soemthing (or something)

And ATM, all christians i know are like the christians in borat who sing and dance and clap and celebrate that jesus is good. All catholics, like myself site down like people and listen to an old man with liver spots (aka: priest) preach about god. Note: i say christians focus more on jesus and catholics focus more on god. Also, more christian priests are young, and more catholic priests are old.

And offtopic, which priests were accused of child rape? Catholic or chrisitan?

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see sources for the inaccurate carbon dating. That'd be interesting to see.

Aside from that, there's still ice cores, geological formations, and oh, say, light from stars more than 6000 light years away that point to the earth being more than 6000 years old.

And if people did live longer, it'd still be pretty difficult to gather up 2 of every animal seeing as new species of animals are still being discovered to this day. Not to mention the impossibility of fitting these animals on a single ship and still making it sea-worthy.
when god sent Noah to get two of every animal he ment two dogs two ants two cats, not two african bull ants, two jack rusle terriors. kinda generic stuff. I saw a video clip with the stuff about carbon daiting, i will see if i can go find it for you.

Fair enough. But if I give you that, you've got to give me that, for example, "dog" somehow getting to a thousand different breeds of "dog" in a couple thousand years don't make sense. And that would be for every species of animal. When you don't believe in evolution.

Though, the logistics don't fit. Ants rely on an entire community in order to survive. A penguin is going to need a much different climate than an snake. And all these animals are going to need food and exercise and the right climate and all of this just simply can not fit on a single ship.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
This is my view on religion:
religion.jpg

Where religion is the box and the kittens are people.

Religion is a man-made box to try and understand God.
But we don't need to understand God, silly kittens.
God's there and you're there, just shut the fuck up, get the fuck out of the box
and live.

(I can say alot on my 'views' on religion but shit like these don't end. Discussing thing that don't end causes you to frown and frowning gives you alot of wrinkles. I just stick to what I believe in and just smile once in awhile.
biggrin.gif
)

PS: I didn't read all the other posts except mthrnite's since it was plastered across Dr. Phil's head.

tongue.gif

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Azimuth have you ever read the Bible? Because I have read plenty of books about evolution, and the big bang. I have watched countless shows about evolution, and the big bang. And I have been taught that evolution is fact by every teacher I have ever had. Hell was made for people that deny God, (Jesus walked in Hell when he died for three days, pretty weird) it's not good to come to God out of fear but out of understanding. In the beginning we were no different from animals (besides our intellect) until we gained the ability to understand good from evil. You're right that the human body isn't perfect, it's burdened with sin, and this sin is what kills us (the spirit of death was created when we consumed the forbidden fruit). As for people who were born before Jesus, they ended up in Abraham's bosom and will be judged after the rapture. I also don't understand the big bang, not a giant exlposion causing a pool of acid to form microscopic animals. But how can you even reach a specific point in time when there is an eternity behind you? I never really understood that. Christianity is the oldest religion, it also is one of the only religions to explain past events accurately and also to be supported by geographical events. You may also consider the Torah code, and predictions in Revelations. I don't base my faith out of evidence but out of my relationship with God and how he affects my life. Well, that's all I can type right now because I have a shit load of homework, talk to you in a couple of hours.

merely reading and watching don't mean shit if you don't understand the concept and evidence backing it up, Big-bang theory is much debated and there still isn't a definitive solution, the newest addition is the expansion theory(the beauty of science is that it evolves with our increased understanding, unlike you know what).

Hell is just a tool used to guilt and scare people into believing crap they otherwise won't, fire is used because it is a primitive fear that people 2 thousand years ago could easily comprehend. You would think god with all his wisdom could come up with something a little more creative.

The perfection I was talking about isn't sin and such, it is the fact that our bodies have numerous physical shortcomings, but since we were created in god's image i dont see how this could be.

Umm Christianity isnt the oldest religion, here is a brief list: Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Judism(you mentioned the torah, so wtf?)

Big bang didn't cause microscopic organisms, it created the universe from a single explosion of infinitely dense matter occupying a point in space. What you are talking about is the creation of rudimentary life in the early earth, caused by interaction of lightning ammonia CO2 nitrogen and oxygen to create primary organic compounds, this has been reproduced in a lab, thus verifying the hypothesis.

Yup Christianity is super accurate, http://ezinearticles.com/?Questions-Your-P...-Hate&id=103223

If you have a relation with an old guy in the sky, thats all you man. Im not going to interfere with that
smile.gif

I understand what you are saying: that's how I feel, everyday my relationship and understanding of God changes, it gets better and I begin to understand more and more as time goes on. You can never reach an "ultimate faith" or "ultimate relationship" with God it just keeps progressing until you die. Usually my understanding rises the sharpest through pain and hard times, I hate this town, but now that I look back on how my experiences allowed my relationship to grow, I wouldn't want it any other way.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is my view on religion:
religion.jpg

Where religion is the box and the kittens are people.

Religion is a man-made box to try and understand God.
But we don't need to understand God, silly kittens.
God's there and you're there, just shut the fuck up, get the fuck out of the box
and live.

(I can say alot on my 'views' on religion but shit like these don't end. Discussing thing that don't end causes you to frown and frowning gives you alot of wrinkles. I just stick to what I believe in and just smile once in awhile.
biggrin.gif
)

PS: I didn't read all the other posts except mthrnite's since it was plastered across Dr. Phil's head.

tongue.gif
OMFG thats funny. True too.

Oh yeah, about the guy the dude above me quoted. CHRISTIANITY IS NOT THE OLDEST RELIGION, RETARD! JUDAISM IS! JESUS WAS A JEW! BUDDHA BELIEVED THAT JESUS WAS A GOOD MAN, BUT NOT A MESSIAH (or something like that) as for taoism and hinduism i dunno.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Though, the logistics don't fit. Ants rely on an entire community in order to survive. A penguin is going to need a much different climate than an snake. And all these animals are going to need food and exercise and the right climate and all of this just simply can not fit on a single ship.

Termites + Noah's Ark = ??

Don't try to argue with logic against religious people, they'll just come out with more crap to back up their ideas.

@skullstatue, its common to find god when you are at your lowest, you feel helpless so you look up expecting an answer.

I donno who said this but "I pity those who look up before they look down"

masterj27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, I try to stay away from religion. I have a relationship. I have a relationship with Jesus Christ because I know that he is God. People can try to use science on one side or the other, and it can make for an interesting debate, but for me it all comes down to how it affects my heart and the people I know. I do enjoy arguing that the Bible is dead on historically, and after reading "Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel, and atheist turned Christian by deeply researching the authenticity of Christ and his claims, I further believe even science can help back up the bible. But sometimes I don't care how everything got here, I just know that I have a deep desire that is real to follow and serve Jesus Christ my Lord and Savoir. And before the ranting begins, I am not better than anybody else here, and I'm not here to tear you down, but to build you up on a rock that is Jesus Christ. Sometimes we just have to accept something that we cannot fully understand. It goes against everything the world has tried to teach us, but sometimes in a relationship with God or another human being, we have to trust the relationship even if we don't understand everything about it.

Even though science has an answer to everything, how can you look at the stars, or the mountains, other human beings, or anything with breathtaking beauty and think that it just appeared?

"If you're right, and I'm wrong, neither one of us has lost anything, but if I'm right and you're wrong, I have gained everything, and you have lost everything..."

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though, the logistics don't fit. Ants rely on an entire community in order to survive. A penguin is going to need a much different climate than an snake. And all these animals are going to need food and exercise and the right climate and all of this just simply can not fit on a single ship.

Termites + Noah's Ark = ??

Don't try to argue with logic against religious people, they'll just come out with more crap to back up their ideas.

@skullstatue, its common to find god when you are at your lowest, you feel helpless so you look up expecting an answer.

I donno who said this but "I pity those who look up before they look down"

You're right again, I am willing to confess that I am weak and insignificant, I am a drop of water before the sea that is my God. God carries me when I am hurt, when he is carrying me I feel closest to him.

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from anguish,
sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints,
so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied,
“The years when you have seen only one set of footprints,
my child, is when I carried you.”

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Way to prove my point, no logic in that argument, sorry seems like you just rambled on about something.

heres my version, from southpark

I want to walk hand-in-hand with Jesus on a private beach for two.
I want him to nibble on my ear and say 'I'm here for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In like 2 hours I'll have 1Gbps Internet lol