My view on religion.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nestea80, Apr 17, 2007.

Apr 17, 2007

My view on religion. by Nestea80 at 8:21 PM (13,340 Views / 0 Likes) 240 replies

1. Nestea80
    OP

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada

Last edited by Nestea80, May 14, 2016

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Totally. Sorry I have nothing else to say but you've said everything I could have said.

- Sam

3. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I could say so many things, but I won't even bother. These topics just get out of hand and turn into flames. It hurts though when I see people with these opinions.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I believe in Cloister the Stupid.

Joking aside, to me most religions exist to either control people or to make people feel that life isnt meaningless. I don't have a religion I feel its all just one coincidence and that I don't need to feel like I need a reason to exist but then I enjoyed the Doom film so what do I know?

A lot of people say if there was no religion there'll be no war, which is bull because as humans we'll always find something to fight about, be it land or whether the hats should be blue or red its just our nature really.

I do hope that this doesnt become a flame war and that people will discuss in a mature manner, what difference would it make to you and your beliefs if others dont agree?

5. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Totally! Dwarfers for life!

- Sam

6. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    tl;dr

(i'm an atheist btw)

7. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    tell that to the evangelicals and their crazy ideas.

How dare we go up against god by proposing such logical arguments as evolution, I mean come on people science and facts mean nothing when compared to creationism /sarcasm

8. ugly_rose

Member ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I have only one thing to say, and that is that religion, regardless of which, is very deep. [​IMG]

9. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    SO'S YOUR FACE!!...sorry...couldn't resist [​IMG]

10. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Whenever there exists the unexplained. People will try to fill the gap. The universe to our eyes is majestic beyond comprehension. It is only natural to believe that there is a being at least a bit more majestic that created it. No matter how far science goes in explaining the universe, there will always be a knowledge gap. There will always exist the unexplained. There is always the possibility that science will find proof of a creator, as doubtful as that may seem. At that point, the scientists would take "God" as a given, and go about trying to understand "God".

I lost my faith a long time ago, and despite efforts by others to "right" me, it hasn't come back. Certainly if "God" wants me, he can have me, but he'll have to knock on my door for a change, and not the other way around.

I'm not of the mind that religion hurts people. I think people do as they please with or without it. I don't think it makes people any better or worse than they would be otherwise.

Oh, and by the way... don't start no flame wars, or I'll start playing a little god myself. [​IMG]

11. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You make a lot of sense to me, but I've never really cared for religion anyway. It's just another label.

12. Nestea80
    OP

Member Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yeah, no flame wars here. I just hold a strong disbelief in any god. My dad is a baptist and he reads the bible like every morning. All my friends believe in some sort of god. It's actually embarrassing sometimes to be an atheist around my family friends when we're all praying. Nobody knows I'm an atheist, because I dont' want to tell them or they'll think I'm like ... Satan or something. So I just play along with them.

Religion hurts people financially when they spend 10% of their income on the church ... or when they watch Peter Popoff on tv and send in donations to get miracle water and miracle cloths that supposedly bring miracles to their lives.

Religion has become VERY socially acceptable. What if I believed in Zeus, and worshipped him night and day? Would people take me seriously still?

I don't know what was wrong with me when I was younger. I truly believed in God. I prayed ... I believed. I think younger minds are just more malleable, but I eventually grew my own mind and figured things out for myself. Life is a mystery. The universe is a mystery. Just because I don't have the answers to questions such as "How did life begin?" doesn't mean I'll take the easy route and say a higher being made life. I'll just leave it as an unknown. Being an atheist doesn't mean I don't have morals though. It's still possible to be good without a god.

Life after death? I don't see any. Is it really that difficult to picture yourself not existing anymore after you die? I look at it this way ... I didn't exist 1000 years ago. So, I think the day after I die ... I'll feel the same way I felt 1000 years ago.

13. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    If that ever happens then what will happen is people will want to know how God came about, what created God and so becomes an endless cycle. I doubt the unbelievers will take the old no one created God, God has always existed.

Damn thinking about this makes my mind hurt.

14. noamkot

Newcomer noamkot Advanced Member

Israel
    I hereby send you the wrath of God from the Holy Land [​IMG]

But seriously, I totally agree with you but it's much easier for me cause my parents are not religious (if anything I come from a partially communist family) and I was brought up a secular in a pretty secular society.
    Most people are bounded by their early education and the axioms that they received from their parents and culture, people seldom question the foundations of their perception of the world and you can't blame them for that.
    Personally I have no problem with religions and I don't give a damn if the man next to me believes the earth is flat and that birds carry the sun up every morning, as long as these people respect other people around them and don't consider them potential convertees.

15. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I don't go out of my way to let people know I'm an atheist, but I don't dodge it when it comes up. Most people consider my brand of atheism (weak atheism, I don't actively deny there is a supreme being) as agnosticism anyway, that's cool, whatever works for them.

..and the people that are "hurt" by giving their money away for hope or prayer cloths or whatever... they would find a way to pay their way out of their troubles in an irresponsible way regardless, I'll just bet.

..and even though I'm an atheist, I do believe the sun is carried up into the sky by birds..
    ..sounds perfectly feasible to me.

... those birds must get really hot!

.. poor birds.. :'(

16. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Sometimes I wish it was all like it is in Discworld, and we'd just be passangers on the back of a Turtle.

17. henry_uk

Newcomer henry_uk Member

United Kingdom
    I used to be a Christian, I dont practice it anymore BUT I had to point this out. "Everyone who died before Jesus was born goes to hell, because the only way to God, is through Jesus." is not entirely true to what christians believe. Appreantly, Jesus preyed for the souls of all that came before him and therefore delivered them from that fate....

And that whole baby thing, where did you come up with that notion?

18. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    all my friends are catholic, my family is Anglican, and Im deist, though I sometimes just call myself atheist so I don't have to explain anything

I was brought up Anglican, going to church each Sunday etc, but once I went to catholic high school, it was just too much.
    first, people actually made fun of me for being Anglican, nothing serious, really just my friends.. but still, it always shocked me.
    I remember being forced to speak during mass, explaining I had no idea what I was supposed to say since I'm not catholic, they assumed this was some crazy excuse..
    Every religious education class held no answers, my teacher couldn't even define the difference between what a sect, a cult, and a religion is.. honestly it all just seemed like an effort to make student's more intolerant of other religions

Eventually I just gave up, stopped going to R.E.. biggest waste of time.

but still, all religions are okay by me, as long as they don't make up people's minds before they hear the issue

edit-
    and also, one of the main things that just proves it to me;
    if there is a god, mos def should be playing down from the sky all day, every day

19. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    It seems like some of your ideas on christianity have been molded by what you've been taught while you were raised. However, why do you think there are so many denominations?

An example of one of these ideas is the traditional belief of "everlasting torment", however, if you take a look at an article such as this (no I am not affiliated with that site/church/whatever in any way) you can see why there is such disagreement within christianity. In this particular case it arose as a result of a mix of catholic dogma and mistranslation.

You have to educate yourself and determine your beliefs on your own.

20. Thulinma

Newcomer Thulinma Computer Magician

Netherlands
    I agree with everything, am an Atheist myself, and so is almost everyone I know.
    However, I'd like to point out a slight mistake in the topic post, the burden of proof actually IS with you, not with the religious people.

Scientifically speaking, everything is true until it is proofed false.
    For example: millions of people can never see a unicorn, but that doesn't prove they don't exist. However, only 1 person needs to see one to prove they DO exists. Assuming the person wouldn't be lying, of course.
    Yes, generally speaking it is impossible to prove something is true, and very easy to prove something is wrong. The trick is striping away all the wrongs until the only possible right remains.

Ok, I'm rambling now, sorry, stopping [​IMG]