My video game music trivia app (Android)

maiden1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.8bitorchestra.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of old school video game music (from the 80-90s) and I made a trivia app for Android, called "Name That Game". You listen to a song from a video game and guess the which game it is. I just released it on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitorchestra.namethatgame

If you get a chance to play it, let me know what you think and if there's anything you want to see in it.

Thanks in advance!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Great idea. There are many music quiz games but I haven't seen one specifically for retro game music. I'm a big fan of game music from the 16-bit era so I will be sure to give this a try next time I'm bored and only have my phone handy.
You should add a multiplayer mode, as I would love to play this with some friends :D

maiden1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.8bitorchestra.com
XP
Country
United States
Amazing! Gotta play that with my friends!

Will you eventually do another app with newer consoles?

Thanks Bimmel,

The good news is that I built this in a way where I can add new games, songs, and systems without having to publish an update on the store. I'm going to be adding more games and songs to the current systems and then add more systems after that.

Any system you were hoping for in particular? (Right now there is NES, SNES, GB and Genesis/MegaDrive)

Reactions: RustInPeace

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks Bimmel,

The good news is that I built this in a way where I can add new games, songs, and systems without having to publish an update on the store. I'm going to be adding more games and songs to the current systems and then add more systems after that.

Any system you were hoping for in particular? (Right now there is NES, SNES, GB and Genesis/MegaDrive)
No, thank you for this great app! Playing this 5 minutes right now and already found a new soundtrack I want to listen to (Shantae). =)

I was searching for this for a long time now because I was not able to do it myself. And to push my knowledge about video game music in general.

Hm.. if you ask me that way, it would be the Gamecube, the PS2 and the Wii I guess. But these files are a lot bigger then the older music pieces, so I'm not sure if this is possible.

By the way, great thing to implement Wikipedia! ;- )

Last edited by Bimmel,

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Shantae is such an underrated game and soundtrack; I admittedly didn't hear about it until the last several years. Virt (Jake Kaufman) who does the music, also did Shovel Knight among other games. Check out his music if you haven't already (https://virt.bandcamp.com/).
Oh yes! I heard that name before, but I did not know that he did the music for Shovel Knight. Thanks.

Awesome that you can get all his soundtracks basically for free.

Last edited by Bimmel,

loco365

Trophies
XP
The app is great, however, I did a two-minute run and the game completely spazzed out on me at the end, repeatedly telling me that time was up for the last question even though I think I had like, 4 or 5 seconds left. You could tap continue, but it kept doing it.

maiden1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.8bitorchestra.com
XP
Country
United States
The app is great, however, I did a two-minute run and the game completely spazzed out on me at the end, repeatedly telling me that time was up for the last question even though I think I had like, 4 or 5 seconds left. You could tap continue, but it kept doing it.

Thanks for trying it out Team Fail. I haven't seen that happen yet, but I'll try to reproduce and fix the issue. What kind of Android device are you running?

maiden1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.8bitorchestra.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this is a really fun game, thanks! Is an internet connection necessary to play solo?

Thanks RustInPeace! Yes, an internet connection is required mainly to stream the music, but also so that I can add new music, games, systems, and make code updates without having to publish and update to the Google Play store.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will there be more consoles added? I'd like to try out N64, and other handheld Nintendo consoles. I'd be awesome at pokemon music.

maiden1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.8bitorchestra.com
XP
Country
United States
Will there be more consoles added? I'd like to try out N64, and other handheld Nintendo consoles. I'd be awesome at pokemon music.

Yes, more consoles will be added. I've had a few requests for N64, so that will most likely be the next one I add. I just want to make sure there's enough activity and updates with the existing consoles before adding more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte