My very first Wii softmod attempt

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Foxi4, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2010
  1. Foxi4
    OP

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Most of you guys will yell at me for not using the "Search" button. Most of you will also be wrong, I do know about it and I did used it already. I've read multiple threads and most of them gave me necessary answers. All I am intended to do now is to review what I have to do with a "just-unboxed" Wii to make sure it's not going to get bricked/semibricked. I had to work for quite a while to get the necessary funds, I can't afford a new one if I screw up and I sincerely believe that the warranty at the store doesn't cover softmodding, so... Here's how it goes (hopefuly)

I do believe the Wii was manufactured before the boot1 was changed, sooooo...

1. I update the Wii to 4.2 to prevent any auto-updates or via-game disc updates, download Internet Channel from the Wii Store.
    2. Prepare a new, empty SD card that's non-sdhc and fill it with the HackMii and Bannerbomb
    3. Proceed with the installation according to the insctructions provided.
    4. Install DVDX
    5. Install BootMii as a Boot2 hack, dump the entire NAND for later recovery purpouses
    6. I disable the WiiConnect24 option

Of course it's a very shortened version, I just want to make sure I'm making everything right... Any objections? Did I understand something wrongly?

2. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    From what I remember about the instructions, I believe you did fine. [​IMG]

3. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    dont update officially.

4. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    ...why not update? Before any homebrew is installed, the Wii is "clean" for the updater ^^; Just askin... X3

5. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    updating to 4.2 will destroy your vulnerable boot2 and stub ios's.

dont do it.

6. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    Ah, I get it now... So, I have to first softmod it, then update it unofficially and then access the store to get Internet Channel?

7. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    yup and no.

internet channel is included in xzxeros guide.

8. wiihacker3000

Member wiihacker3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that does not make sense... i have a wii was 3.2U and i updated it to 4.2U officially and used Xzxero's guide to hack my wii and i have a 4.2U wii with HBC latest, Preloader, Bootmii as boot 2, usb loader GX and every thing works fine, no problems!!! i say update officially and use xzxero's guide.

9. wii knee

Member wii knee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Use Xzxero' guide, but 'walk through' each step before actually doing it, especially if english is not first language.

It's a great guide but it's easy to mess up a tiny step, so do it slow, carefully and you'll get it right. If there's something in the guide that you can't seem to find how to do, ask here.

good luck

10. KiiWii

United Kingdom

11. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    I think KiiWii's right here, the latest update does change the Boot2. I totally forgot about that... geez, there's so much literature and guides to read before acually starting anything that anybody could get lost in it... An unofficial update seems safer to me, I don't trust Nintendo's admins XP

12. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know, you can overwrite Bootv2, the version doesn't matter (kinda like with IOS). The version of bootv1 is what "diables" BootMii, and this one can't get updated. So, he has a vulnerable Bootv1, so he can overwrite Bootv2.

Though, again...not realy shure...

13. wiihacker3000

Member wiihacker3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i did it over 1 month ago since i broke my last wii and switched it for a older 1 at game stop and i used Xzxer's guide bec ive done it before so i updated officially (funny thing is i updated 3 wii's officially that day) and then hacked it and installed bootmii as boot2 and backed up my nand.

14. KiiWii

United Kingdom
  15. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    I've just re-read the xzxero's guide from the sticky and... the very first thing it says is to update to 4.2... slightly confusing... @.@ http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171...t=0&start=0

EDIT: Sorry, my bad... It was just a headline before the "Updating procedure" ^^;;; Grr...

16. wii knee

Member wii knee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As I stated, read the whole thing through, first!!!

It's saying that the manual is for updating to 4.2 (if you're not on it) and/or modding 4.2 when you are there.

But it is NOT telling you to update online. You have to download the files to your SD card.

READ FIRST. Be patient. do the intall/update after you've read it through. (you have to fight the urge to just do it, I know)

17. KiiWii

United Kingdom
    imho, i cant find anything concrete to say v4 wont wreck installing bootmii boot2, I would just recommend not taking the chance and updating offline first.

boot1 is where the exploit lays, but boot2 is overwritten by the 4.2 update (to remove bootmii) so i guess its designed not to reallow bootmii there.... could be wrong.

Plus updating offline negates the need to uninstall stubbed IOS's AND you can install pre-patched IOS along the way.

18. Foxi4
    OP

pip
    Poland
    Hehe... you're right, It does feel like you have the power in your Wiimote at arms reach X3 Alright, I think that now I know everything I should before attempting to softmod, Thank you all guys for helping out so quickly. I'll report this thread and ask for locking it now ^.^

19. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bootmii works as boot2 even with boot2v4. Have a friend on 4.2 who's running it. Boot1 is what matters, not boot2 version.

20. wadzinsky

Newcomer wadzinsky Advanced Member

United States
    KiiWii, I updated my Wii to v4.2 recently. Then I decided to softmod it. BootMii can be installed at Boot2 even on a 4.2 wii. Boot1 IS where the vulnerability lies. 4.2 update only wrote over Boot2 to get rid of the BootMii loader lying in its place. They called it Boot2v4 I am assuming because the Wii will not overwrite files it thinks are newer on an update. So by increasing the Version #, the file must be newer and then must be installed. If it was the same version or lower, it would be left alone.

I hope this helps with the confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.