my usb drive i had for a few years is now defective

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by migles, May 16, 2015.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    I had this 8GB usb drive for a few years, and just recently i tried to install windows 7 using it, and always giving the error that appears when a cd is scratched to the point it can't be read

at first i thought it was a faulty hdd.. but later i realized it was the pen i was trying to install...
    i ran h2testw and here is the result
    i want to ask, if i can do something about this pen, for example format and forcing that sectors to be unpartitioned (therefore software will not use them)

and i thought the driver controller would deal with theese bad sectors, marking them and not use them..
    i formated it several times and even removed the partitions but apparently they are still here...

2. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Although I don't think it will work on USB flash drive, you could try chkdsk X: /R in command prompt and replace the letter X with your USB drive letter.

3. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Are you plugging in the drive directly, or through a hub?

Reason I ask is that I had an SD reader once that was faulty, which led me to believe I had purchased a corrupt SD card. Perhaps a similar thing could happen if you're going through a hub.