GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
>samsung
there you go, samsung was great in the crt era, but not anymore.
good brands are LG (overall the best price/quality ratio), Sony (if you don't care about $), AOC (cheap and reliable tv's) and JVC (I haven't tried one yet, but seem to be pretty good looking at the specs and the brand history).

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean isn't 5 years a good lifespan?

Not really. At least 10 years for a good LCD TV.
My Sony Bravia 46' is already 8 years old, and it gets used for 16 hours per day, minimum.
Correctly maintained, MTBF for LCD displays is around 50-100k hours.

If I were to get a new screen, I'd go for better refresh rates (120 or 144Hz) rather than higher resolution, since I feel
higher res on consumer-sized screens is a huge waste of money.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
>samsung
there you go, samsung was great in the crt era, but not anymore.
good brands are LG (overall the best price/quality ratio), Sony (if you don't care about $), AOC (cheap and reliable tv's) and JVC (I haven't tried one yet, but seem to be pretty good looking at the specs and the brand history).
Now this is straight up funny.

LG Oleds have the worst price/quality ratio - simply because they are the 'expensive tech' on the market. If you not scale quality into infinity.. ;)

On LCDs LG still is one of the main proponents of using IPS panels which is generally seen as "worse quality" in the TV field, simply because of inferior black level. (Compaired to VA, it has better side view color stability though.)

Sony "being better" than other LCDs is almost entirely wrong nowadays, except for two of their flagships each year. On the rest they tried to coast by with "image processing" as their stand out feature. Sony doesnt produce their own LCD screens anymore. They buy them from korean or chinese manufacturers (to be fair, everyone is). In the past years their market performance was cringeworthy, they've outperformed no one on most of the characteristics - then tried to win it with "image processing". Now they are at least trying to deliver great products in the high price segment again. You'll pay a premium is correct - in most cases you'll dont know why. But at least they dont give you crap. Sony.

AOC - is a taiwanese panel manufacturer. One of the biggest in fact. And you are sure to find its panels in many more well known brands TV sets. But it doesnt sell under its own brand in the west. (?)

JVC is basically bankrupt. Or whatever the japanese equivalent of that is (getting bought out by other japanese companies.. ;) ). They've liquidated most of their TV manufacturing, have sold their entire business in europe to be taken over by a OEM, and manufacture their US market products out of one remaining plant in Thailand.

Here is the fallacy with "going with brands". Its the fashion victims way to decide what to buy.

Reasoning:

- SKUs: Have flaship products, but also produce cheap crap.
- Cycles: Tick/tock - innovate for a year, cash out for two years. Repeat.
- Getting your entire manufacturing sector moved from Japan, to Korea, to China/Taiwan. In the end, chances are - that "quality brand" from 10 years ago is in an entirely different market situation today.

I dont want to help you to get a TV that you cant ruin by screwing in the mounting bracket in the back "too much" - all I want is for people to remember one thing.

Marketing doesnt like tech geeks. Because they don't buy brands. They buy good products.

If you are still advising people to buy high price items based on brands. Get out of the advising business. Now. You are officially a victim and helping no one.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
well, I'm talking from my personal experience with those brands in general.
I know brands change (hence my stay away from modern samsung despite making marvelous crt monitors and tv's back in the day) but for what I've experienced LG produces good tv's for a fair price, sony offers excellent tv's for a good amount of cash and my AOC tv was cheap and is compatible with absolutely everything (1080p, has an s-video input with is now extinct, vga input, proceses 240p correctly and has little to no lag). that may very well change in the near future, but doesn't make my statements less correct.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So guys how do you think it's a capacitor? It's the glass I went with my finger over it and the Crack expanded and made glass crackling sounds. Weather was pretty normal and it's probably about 5 years old. So from my view it's definitely the panel. But still weird. Okay sometimes my window did smash against the TV from the side but you can't really do much when you're playing smash. Could be the abuse over time. I mean isn't 5 years a good lifespan? Just to be clear tho on that day that this happened nothing was moved or hit.
If a capacitor exploded inside your tv, it may have enough force to break your screen, this may very well be what happened.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
well, I'm talking from my personal experience with those brands in general.
I know brands change (hence my stay away from modern samsung despite making marvelous crt monitors and tv's back in the day) but for what I've experienced LG produces good tv's for a fair price, sony offers excellent tv's for a good amount of cash and my AOC tv was cheap and is compatible with absolutely everything (1080p, has an s-video input with is now extinct, vga input, proceses 240p correctly and has little to no lag). that may very well change in the near future, but doesn't make my statements less correct.
I've experienced that cola is great to drink, and I've had good experiences with water. Orange juice is good as well, but at a price and grape juice is even purple, so it fits with what I am wearing today. All from personal experience.

Here is what you essentially said from a market logic perspective:

Buy from a chinese manufacturer, because they are cheap and have everything, but also buy from the top japanese brand, because they are good, and buy from the currently most popular korean brand (which is assosiated with quality for something entirely different), because they are fairly priced (but they arent as cheap as the chinese products?). Oh, and look at JVC, which at least for europe are TVs manufactured in turkey and by manufactured I mean - buy chinese panels and electronics, screw them together in turkey (because shipping them assembled costs more money).

All of that is contradictory.

Then you've noted, that you only recommended those "brands" because of personal buys (one each) you've conducted - and now you feel that others should buy what you've bought.

All of that is based on feels.

In old roman days they had charriot races, pretty much every day of the week. The had four teams. The blues, the greens, the reds and the whites.

Thats the level of most peoples decision making. It hasnt changed since then.

The funny thing is, that the real answer to this question is "get the cheapest chinese TV that fits your need", especially on "smaller screens" where edge lit LCDs are fine.

Any of the brands you named, uses chinese or taiwanese panels they dont have produced, Sony does for sure. They buy them by certain quality characteristics on an open market. You will never "see" which one is better. There are hardly any platforms that test which cheap TVs are better in what aspects. You are buying blind. Good luck.

Thats the actual 'recommendation' but it sounds so much worse than 'I've bought LG, and think I didn't through away my money for crap, so now you should buy LG too.'

If anyone is listening to that as an informed opinion - it cant be helped.

I'm for the blues, and think that I'm a great expert on the sport of chariot racing, so you should be for the blues too. Also, I'm an expert on drinks, as you can see in the first paragraph.

Last edited by notimp,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay I was at my local store and I'm kinda triggered. I'd like to have a direct led TV or a oled but both start at about 1.1k. Definetly to much. It's so hard to decide on some the motion interpolation sucks and many edge lit ones have some sort of vignette around the corners. The best thing is probably to go for a full HD one about 300 bucks.

bigretromike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why should it be the cause the mount is on the chassis of the TV in pretty sure this doesn't stress the glass panel. It has been hanging for about 2 years
Using bad VESA mount is bad. For me it looks like it hold the rare structure but the tv in center went down and pull the top left/right side with it. Same like you would hold someone hands while pushing his back with your leg. First thing that came out in my mind when he wrote that he did not hit it with anything.

Edit, him is you. Sorry.

Edit2: yes, but look the 'points' on screen. They are in places where the screws should be for VESA mount. But without looking at it closely I can just shoot blindly

Last edited by bigretromike,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Check out Philips TVs then. They're pretty good priced.
Thats because they are another chinese OEM using that brand (recently bought) to sell into western (this time usually european) markets. :)

They usually use MediaTek SoCs and Android as a platform.

And yes, in europe they are currently one of the cheap goto brands, while in the US they are TCL and Vizio.

TCL still refuses to bring FOLD to europe so their products are less interesting here.

All those three brands are chinese manufacturers trying to enter western markets (Vizio being a house brand).

Last edited by notimp,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thats because they are another chinese OEM using that brand (recently bought) to sell into western (this time usually european) markets. :)

They usually use MediaTek SoCs and Android as a platform.

And yes, in europe they are currently one of the cheap goto brands, while in the US they are TCL and Vizio.

TCL still refuses to bring FOLD to europe so their products are less interesting here.

All those three brands are chinese manufacturers trying to enter western markets (Vizio being a house brand).
The vast majority of electronics originate from China. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Not everything Chinese is bad quality, but if you cheap out and get the cheapest thing possible it's going to be bad quality.
Apple products are made in China too.

Reactions: DinohScene

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I agree, it is not. :)

To clarify -

I use

- japanese
- korean
- chinese/taiwanese

as almost "price groupings" caused by globalisation. :)

The entire production of panels moved from Japan to Korea to China/Taiwan - and TVs became cheaper with every move.

Today - most manufacturers are buying chinese panels. Notable exceptions are Samsung (korean) of course (scale, so still good prices), or LG (korean) ('best' tech with WOLED, so they can produce at higher prices); But I'm sure they are building factories in china as well.

Sony (japanese), Panasonic (japanese) and others in the TV world only exist as customers of other manufacturers panels who add their electronics package to them ("better image processing"). Thats it. Otherwise they arent price competitive.

So when you are looking for best value - look at chinese manufacturers. Everyone else is. :) If you are Sony and others (even Samsung, ...) you are buying chinese panels, then "upbranding" them with your own electronics package - and then reselling them. Generally speaking.

What I wanted to lay out is, that it make no sense to say "LG is so price competitive" (the are 'not' (comparatively)), when in todays market the chinese brands are. Because manufacturing already went from Korea to China - to become cheaper. So LG cant have the price advantage here. :) Neither can Sony. :)

Even Samsung (big Volume, scale - also korean) is loosing it to chinese manufacturers.

The best value currently lies with chinese Manufacturers that try to get a footing in western markets themselves. They are willing to undercut the competition, no one else is. Some (not all) of them are using known brands (Philips) they have bought. So going by "brands you know" - is especially silly here (same brand different company ;) )

Especially in the small screensize category I'm very much a proponent of "buy chinese LCDs" these days. Best value. And since no one tests a good subset of cheap TVs anyhow... (You are buying blind...) ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Check out Philips TVs then. They're pretty good priced.
Went for an Philips one :) got it for 600€ at my local dealer. I once again inspected the dead Tv, but can't really judge the Mount.
Atleast nothing that would be obvious, the screws are too short to have caused any damage or maybe press against the back.
https://www.amazon.de/Philips-50PUS7303-12-Ambilight-Triple/dp/B0794ZR5QJ

To be honest you guys made me a bit scared to mount my new Tv on the same mount.
But I'll trust this one I guess.
I did attach a picture of where the mounts are, atleast appoximately, its a very approximate marking lul.
123.png

Reactions: linuxares

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I used a ton of VESA mounts, that isn't the issue. For me it looks like something exploded inside like a transistor or something in those lines. You will never know until you open it up.

EDIT: @notimp
I disagree. A lot of LG and Samsung use chinese screens. You need to look for the RIGHT versions to find the Korean screens. For Samsung a while it was know if the monitor (TV or Monitor) had an S at the end, then it was a Samsung screen. Else it was chiense OEMs. I don't know if they still do this, but 10 years go. This was how they did it. So it was very easy to find the good once.

Today I would say most panels are pretty much the same, atleast on the LCD and LED screens. OLED however you really need to look for the top once.

Last edited by linuxares,
Reactions: wicksand420

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it