Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just finished this game.
My impression ?
I kind of liked it, but I have some complains.
First of all, the camera sucks badly.
It really moves too much around and most of the time where is not supposed to be.
You can control it with the d-pad, but sometimes it just has a mind of it's own and goes somewhere else.
I really felt my worse enemy in this game was the camera, and to some extant the controls as well, because they feel illogical; sometime the movement is related to the camera point of view ( i.e. hanging from a ledge you tilt the stick right to move toward the right of the screen ) but some other time is related to Lara's position ( hanging from a cliff you have to pull back the stick to jump to the right ) and so on.
The waggling is really kept to a minimum this time around though, so I can't understand people complaining about the few motion sensing moves.
The aiming cursor is nearly useless ! In previous games was used to shift the camera around, now it's fully replaced by the d-pad.
You can still use it to shift the camera by pressing C, but then I would expect it to disappear when C is no longer pressed because it's only bothering me, and this is expecially true because any weapon aiming in the game is totally automatic.
To go around my dislike for it, I had to play by pointing my wii remote away from the screen, then the aiming cursor would vanish.
Also for a game of this caliber, and it's stellar franchise and the high production scope, I would expect it to be generally more polished, like so many little glitches happens here and there ( Lara walking trough objects, or not dying after a long fall in the wrong place getting you stucked in that particular area ), and even the menus are too minimalistic and don't even use the wii pointer capability ( which by the way is put to use to solve some really easy puzzles throughout the game).
Also the game was supposed to sport huge levels.....but I only find it to be very linear.
I was forced to follow a certain path all the time and if I tried to go anywhere else in the game I was gonna terribly die by falling hard down a pit or banging my head against some invisible walls.
And finally the size of the adventure.
It didn't take me more than 6- 8 hours to finish, and I took my sweet time too.
I don't really mind this factor, as nowadays I actually prefer games that are on the short side ( so I can play more games in less time
wink.gif
).
I found the graphics kind of pleasing, although the framerate was a little jerky at times, and I'm not even trying to compare it to the Higher Definition version, but somewhere in the middle of the game I found out that the flash lite I've seen in some xbox360 videos, is present here too but only used 2 or maybe 3 times throughout the whole game and always very briefly and totally unnecessary places., but it's there and it's automatic !
No health packs to speak of ( you regain you health automatically as well ) and no ammunitions either !
I was worried I was wasting too many clips while I encountered the first enemies, but when I found out I had unlimited ammos, I went loose with it, and so did my tension and ammo saving strategy.
So what drove me to finish this game, was actually the somehow interesting story, and the atmosphere of the gorgeous looking levels.
I was curious to see how would it end.
But all in all, I can't say I am particularly impressed with this game, it just feels rushed and somehow incomplete, and even the motorcycle levels seem redundant, as for the actual driving of the vehicle, wasn't very funny either.
My thought is, how can they let those things happen on such a high profile franchise ?
Wasn't Tomb Raider almost dead as such, and despite all the money that has been made on it, and eventually the danger to loose it for good, they go on and publish something that might alienate some older fans and newcomers alike ?
The publishers should really treat it as a work of love and give it all the passion they can and make sure the game is at least perfect from a technical point of view. Then people might like Lara's story or not( just as you like a movie or not ), but at least , they' d treat it with the respect it deserves.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It feels like a game that is completely unfinished. I played the PS2 version at a friends house recently and even that version seems like its had more work & the levels are bigger!

The Wii versions levels also seems to be a whole lot smaller. Also in other TR games you shoot stuff, in this game you don't seem to get your gun out much. You just jump about and solve really easy puzzles.

Bad port, with many things removed from the other versions. Developers really really need to take a look at Call of Duty: World At War to see how to do a good version of a multiformat game on the Wii.

From what I've heard about the PS3/360/PC versions this is just another TR game, which is a shame as Legend did so much for the series.

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
I've only played the first level (was big enough...), but yes, it seems like it could have taken more time in development (oddly placed secrets, weird camera, nearly no items). It seems like a step back from previous titles again
frown.gif

And... How do I invert the friggin camera?!? That simply can't be possible that there's no option for this. It sucks so bad, I press the wrong buttons all the time, even after like 2 hours.
blink.gif

I'm very sorry that I've played ALL games in ALL these years inverted, sorry EIDOS.
dry.gif

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OMG......
I had Tomb Raider Anniversary lying around for several months now, but never got the time to play it....until now, after I finished Underworld, I felt I wanted more.
Man, TRA is sooo much better in any way, the camera, controls, pointers, menus, music, sound effects ( you can hardly hear any of those in TRU ).......
I'm looking forward to finish it, but the levels seem huge and I'm getting even lost sometime.....I believe it's a good thing though.
There are even enemies to shoot at, med packs and ammos......you name it, a full fledged TR game!
Seriously , how can those guys screw it up that much with newer releases ?
Couldn't they just use Anniversary engine ( and the infinitely better camera controls) when they build a new game ? I mean they did it already well in anniversary, how can they fail in such an epic way ?
I remember when TR was regarded as a dead franchise because the mediocrity of sequels after sequels and it took them a big effort ( going to a new direction )and a brand new game to save it, and now they risk to destroy it all.
Honestly, at this point I might not care about future TR anymore.

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, Anniversary was superior in every way. I can't think of a reason other than laziness for dropping so many features. Well, auto-healing and unlimited ammo is kinda nice. I mean, I've always had dozens of med packs left in TR anyway. Hmmmm, as I think about it - - - no. It's better if you can search for them, and for ammo. It's just more interesting.

Also, this game has BUGS, it's unbelievable. Sometimes I can't believe which WEIRD things happen on screen. This game is seriously f_cked up. Neither the less, it's nice. I will finish it
smile.gif

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do all weapons have unlimited ammo? I'm just in the first level now, with the standard gun with unlimited ammo. But that also the case in anniversary.

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
kedest said:
Do all weapons have unlimited ammo? I'm just in the first level now, with the standard gun with unlimited ammo. But that also the case in anniversary.

Yes I confirm that all the weapons ammo are unlimited.
As harryk wrote, it takes out the fan of exploring. I mean why would I bother to search a dark corner or an alley when I don't even care for the collection of the hidden items ?
Having a reason to look around makes you want to EXPLORE, but it seems this is precisely what they want you NOT to do....otherwise you might get stuck in a corner.
Like I said I sort of enjoyed the game, but it felt like an empty shell, just a demo version of the full fledge videogame it should have been.
It's mostly Lara alone in some kind of temple, the game feels lifeless.
There's even talk about a major bug in the Wii version which might happen at the end of the Coastal Thailand level.
They seriously messed this one pretty well up.

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, there are several game ending bugs reported (but that's not new, thinking of TR5), but I was happy not to run into any yet.

I actually like the feeling of Lara alone in a huge temple or massive world, that's pretty nice. But I would have preferred med packs. I always run into every corner, like I always did, and then think: "Hm, there's nothing here; kinda odd".

The weirdest thing, though: In other versions (PC: Anniversary and Legend) there were jumps where Lara barely caught the edge, so she was wriggling on the edge until you press a button (or she would fall). The animation still is in the Wii version, but there's NO BUTTON for saving here. She doesn't fall down either. So she just freezes and hangs there until you press 10 buttons and wave the nunchuk and hope she recovers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)