My thoughts on the R4

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Drackel, Sep 23, 2007.

Sep 23, 2007

My thoughts on the R4 by Drackel at 9:49 PM (2,419 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Drackel
    OP

Newcomer Drackel Member

United States
    Well, about a month or so back I picked up a R4 and a G6Real 8.

The R4 spring broke in a month, now I can be added to the list of all the others.
    I don't care how good this cart is if it brakes! What good is that? I love have to use a tool
    to pull the SD card out, and then my kid went to use it and the Sd card wasn't being seen.

I thought I had lost every thing on there, as even the micro reader in Windows wouldn't see
    or read the SD card. After some cursing and then twisting of the R4 with the SD card in it, I
    managed to get it to read.

So this spring being broken and still being able to use it to me is a big risk. I can't say the G6 Real
    is perfect, but at least the HARDWARE doesn't brake! The sad thing is, they know of this issue, why
    not fix it? I'd pay 5-10 bucks more for a darn better spring!

2. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well they did by removing the spring entirely. [​IMG]

3. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Surely if the spring breaks in the old one you can disassemble it and use it springless? It does still have grippy pins or am I wrong?

4. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I've never had a single problem with the spring, I have had my R4 for almost a year and have had minimal problems with it.

Although, I hate the idea of removing the spring, I guess some R4s are just faulty, and are removing the spring to make up for it.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I've had mine for about 7 months and no issues.

6. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've had mine for a month+ and the spring hasn't broken, but I don't see why people see it as an advantage. I'd really rather it be springless like the Cyclo, especially since I once had a Games 'N Music and it's spring broke on me the same day I got it. Fucking Datel's shitty products.

7. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Between friends & myself we have 8 R4’s & not one problem with the spring. It’s going to suck if R4 goes the way of the Cyclo, it’s a bitch to get the micro out of that card. Good news if you can remove the spring the R4 works with out it (search forum for how). Could have been worse you could have gotten a G6 & been one of the many with corrupted ram, no way to permanently fix that problem.

8. nexus7412369

Member nexus7412369 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Mine broke the day after I got it but for some strange reason tis fixed now.

9. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My R4's spring broke about 3 months after I got it. I got a CycloDS and it's great. I might get one of the new springless R4's for my birthday, though.

10. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    The. Spring. Bugs. The. Bad. Word. Out. Of. Me.

Borked about 2 months after I got it. Now I am forced to use tape or else the SD will launch out and knock someone in the eye.

11. Dardon

Newcomer Dardon Advanced Member

United States
    R4 #1 - spring broke after putting the card in, and taking it out. Didn't wanna go back in.
    R4 #2 - spring still work, its about a month old
    R4 #3 - Same thing as number 1, but it was broken out of the box.

I have really bad luck with springs it seems.

12. son2fu

Newcomer son2fu Member

United States
    my spring is still working, how would u remove it if it breaks? and will it be hard to take out the micro sd?

13. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

My spring broke after 2 months, well, not completely broken, it still clicks, just need a bit more of tricks to get it in. :\
    I haven't thought about removing the spring, maybe until it is completely broken.

14. Evilkoko

Member Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Guess i've been lucky, had my r4 since May, and for the first 2-3 months I constantly took out the SD card to add/remove games. my r4 still works fine. I love it!

15. Drackel
    OP

Newcomer Drackel Member

United States
    Did that, as I had no other option. The spring broke in a way that the SD Card wouldn't stay in at all and I wasn't about to tape it.
    Glad to see I'm not alone in this, yet know that when I ordered it. I was more or less just "Testing" these out [​IMG]

I hope to replace it with something different, just not another R4, as my young boy will bet the carp out of my if the thing brakes again [​IMG]

16. wrathek

Member wrathek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    same, had mine since may, no issues. For those of you whom its broken for, did it just break, or did you take the sd out while the cart was in the DS? ive heard thats terrible to do

17. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I've taken out and reinserted my MicroSD 100's of times (i have more than one, so when i want to play a game that's on the other one, i have to switch) and it hasn't broken.
    wrathek: I always do that [​IMG]

18. calvin_0

Member calvin_0 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    gotten my R4 on Feb this year....no problem...i dont see why other people have problem with thier R4...bad luck or bad handelling?...i'll choose the later.

19. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Mine broke, but to be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest - just pull the card in out manually without the 'springiness' or 'clickiness'. Never had any problem whatsoever with read issues etc so not fussed - it's essentially like I already have the spring free version, even though the spring itself is still in there somewhere.

20. Drackel
    OP

Newcomer Drackel Member

United States
    Well, I'm a 36 year old guy, and never let my two boys 8 and 10 do anything other then insert the cart into the DS.
    I always removed the SD card after removing the Cart, and it broke when I went to push it back in after having it in the PC.
    I think there is a reason the R4 went to "spring less" as stated eariler in this thread. It must have become a problem worth changing the manufacturing of the R4, something that cost money to do. So they know there is a problem IMO.