CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, um...

It seems the Fly Swatter mode's been cut, or something. Shaking a muncher doesn't summon any flies...

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I seem to be wrong about most of the enemies in the NSMBU theme, they are in fact just sprites (really blurry sprites).

EDIT: (I have to look some more, but it appears that the enemies are just sprites)

Last edited by Garblant,
Reactions: CeeDee

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok yeah, I'm impatient as all getout.
I got the leak of this, and want to ensure that I don't get Banana'd. Just keeping the wi-fi off while playing should prevent a ban, right?

I have no idea why, but it seems like the courses I make are a bit-squashed. Like things seem a bit too close together, I guess I'll get used to it as I go along.

Also for some reason, sometimes when I'm holding the run button, it seems like the jump button isn't registered a few times, which can be frustrating.

Courses are saved to ExtraData, I wonder if it would be possible to make a tool or homebrew cia that can act as a stand-in for the lack of an upload feature?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok yeah, I'm impatient as all getout.
I got the leak of this, and want to ensure that I don't get Banana'd. Just keeping the wi-fi off while playing should prevent a ban, right?

I have no idea why, but it seems like the courses I make are a bit-squashed. Like things seem a bit too close together, I guess I'll get used to it as I go along.

Also for some reason, sometimes when I'm holding the run button, it seems like the jump button isn't registered a few times, which can be frustrating.

Courses are saved to ExtraData, I wonder if it would be possible to make a tool or homebrew cia that can act as a stand-in for the lack of an upload feature?
Try looking at ExtData using JKSM or extdata_dumper. Both dump decrypted extdata. JKSM might be more interesting since it tries to identify exdata it already 'knows (read added from 3dbrew)' so if there is unknown extdata it will likely stand out from the rest.

hoksyjp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
illteteka.itch.io
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I got it last night and I couldn't get over how well designed the Nintendo made levels are!!
Compared to the Wii U version, the black border around the screen bothered me a little, but it's probably mostly to stay at a similar aspect ratio to the Wii U. The New Super Mario Brothers themed levels look kinda low poly :/

I hope we get the ability to send/receive between Wii U and 3DS for our own levels, if that's even possible lol
Overall, I feel like this game fits a portable console very well

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to video games, I'm one of those rare players who look at the positive aspects of it.

The Super Mario Challenge is pretty fun. Haven't beaten all of the courses yet (I'm in World 8) and the medals were worth replaying the courses again.

The course creator's Tutorial Mode was pretty funny. Had a bunch of charm the developers put into. Thole course and tools themselves are exactly like the Wii U version.

The levels themselves look really neat! Am I the onlyvone who thought New Super Mario Bros. U look nice on the 3DS? First, I like how the 3DS can handle U. Second, when playing the U courses the graphics, do indeed, look alike to New Super Mario Bros. 2. Just like 2, U had a high resolution crisp sprite design. I say I like U on the 3DS than Wii U.

The biggest thing that turn people away from this game is the lack of online sharing. Even the reviews themselves says "Why bother playing this game if you can't share courses online?" and give the game a much lower score.

I mean, it's not Nintendo's fault honestly. We got what we wanted and we weren't specific about it either. There's Streetpass, but a bunch of folks will complain about how no one around where they live owns a 3DS.

Streetpass is a huge thing in Japan so I do see what Nintendo was going for. What everyone forget is National Streetpass Weekend. You know, connect to a Nintendo Zone location and Streetpass folks online. That means, share your levels online with random players via NSW. Heck, what about Homepass? No one mentioned about Homepass and that's another easy method to share online.

Overall, it's an excellent port of the Wii U version. Just that many people are upset that you can't share course online, no Mystery Mushrooms, and you can't give Stars nor Comments on the Recommended Courses.

Last edited by LuxerWap,
Reactions: DrkBeam and CeeDee

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually finished Super Mario Challenge today and found out that there is a hidden World 19 that you unlock by getting 40 medals and can only be accessed through the Challenge Levels section of Coursebot. World 19 has 12 levels, filling up the last 3 rows of course slots in Challenge Levels, and you unlock levels past 19-1 by clearing the previous level. After clearing 19-12, you unlock the Bowser Jr. and Pink Coin course elements. I was able to get more than 40 medals without trying all that hard, since there are a ton of levels.

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to
The biggest thing that turn people away from this game is the lack of online sharing. Even the reviews themselves says "Why bother playing this game if you can't share courses online?" and give the game a much lower score.

I mean, it's not Nintendo's fault honestly. We got what we wanted and we weren't specific about it either. There's Streetpass, but a bunch of folks will complain about how no one around where they live owns a 3DS.

Streerpass is a huge thing in Japan so I do see what Nintendo was going for. What everyone forget is National Streetpass Weekend. You know, connect to a Nintendo Zone location and Streetpass folks online. That means, share your levels online with random players via NSW. Heck, what about Homepass? No one mentioned about Homepass and that's another easy method to share online.

Overall, it's an excellent port of the Wii U version. Just that many people are upset that you can't share course online, no Mystery Mushrooms, and you can't give Stars nor Comments on the Recommended Courses.

Sadly, I can't really agree with you due to the fact that they removed several features that many users loved. These features include (but are not limited to): Amiibo support, online sharing (which you mentioned), several easter eggs and minigames, and a few more.Also, instead of using sprites from the 2d platforming title, New Super Mario Bros. 2, they simply compressed assets from NSMBU (Which looks a bit off compared to all of the other themes).

I know first time players won't mind but, this title is of lower quality compared to the other ports that Nintendo has done in the past, and it's simply saddening that they would allow it to be sold in this state.

(I'm not angry either, I'm just disappointed.)

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to video games, I'm one of those rare players who look at the positive aspects of it.

The Super Mario Challenge is pretty fun. Haven't beaten all of the courses yet (I'm in World 8) and the medals were worth replaying the courses again.

The course creator's Tutorial Mode was pretty funny. Had a bunch of charm the developers put into. Thole course and tools themselves are exactly like the Wii U version.

The levels themselves look really neat! Am I the onlyvone who thought New Super Mario Bros. U look nice on the 3DS? First, I like how the 3DS can handle U. Second, when playing the U courses the graphics, do indeed, look alike to New Super Mario Bros. 2. Just like 2, U had a high resolution crisp sprite design. I say I like U on the 3DS than Wii U.

Streetpass is a huge thing in Japan so I do see what Nintendo was going for. What everyone forget is National Streetpass Weekend. You know, connect to a Nintendo Zone location and Streetpass folks online. That means, share your levels online with random players via NSW. Heck, what about Homepass? No one mentioned about Homepass and that's another easy method to share online.

As someone who never had Mario Maker for Wii U, I can safely say I don't mind the missing features. I've still been able to find plenty of fun levels, and you can even change the list of levels given to you by hitting New Batch. It helps that you can filter courses by difficulty too, allowing you to see only Easy, Normal, Expert or Super Expert courses.

Reactions: DrkBeam and CeeDee

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to

Sadly, I can't really agree with you due to the fact that they removed several features that many users loved. These features include (but are not limited to): Amiibo support, online sharing (which you mentioned), several easter eggs and minigames, and a few more.Also, instead of using sprites from the 2d platforming title, New Super Mario Bros. 2, they simply compressed assets from NSMBU (Which looks a bit off compared to all of the other themes).

I know first time players won't mind but, this title is of lower quality compared to the other ports that Nintendo has done in the past, and it's simply saddening that they would allow it to be sold in this state.

(I'm not angry either, I'm just disappointed.)
Silly thought l, but I do think they removed those aspects due to hardware limitations (Mystery Mushrooms) and that it's not Mario's 30th Anniversary (Minigames).

Yes, U's theme does look a bit off, but I do think it holds up pretty well. Comparing to New Super Mario Bros. 2, yeah the sprites do look almost look similar.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do tend to see much much more complaints than positive thoughts in general about games.
Mario Maker 3DS? "no online"
Mario Maker Wii U? "no sloped ground"
Sticker Star? "ttyd was better"
Color Splash? "still not ttyd"
Pokemon SM? "too many cutscenes!"
etc etc.

Ironically, back in 2015, people LOVED the idea of a gimped Mario Maker on 3DS, with Game Boy themes and half the course elements!

The game is wonderful, but it is overlooked for "you cant play online therefore it is complete shit" that 99% of people online complain about. It's really nice either way, even without online.

Mystery Mushrooms likely aren't a hardware issue, but possibly an issue with licensing, or them just wanting to keep something other than online uploading? exclusive to Wii U.

Reactions: LuxerWap

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mystery Mushrooms likely aren't a hardware issue, but possibly an issue with licensing, or them just wanting to keep something other than online uploading? exclusive to Wii U.
It seem more likely that it's an attempt to get users to buy the wii u version. If it was a problem with licensing, then they would have only included the costumes of characters that Nintendo owns.

Also, somewhat related, I'm going to try to see how the game would look if I replaced the 2D assets of the NSMBU theme with some tilesets from NSMB2. This will most likely take a long period of time, due to the fact that I'm just getting familiar with the software that seems to be the best fit for the task (GIMP).

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maaaaan, I actually hate playing this on the 3DS. The actual core content is fine, it's the fact the game plays in 16:9, and not the 3DS resolution.

Now, I've played it through my capture card and holy wow I enjoyed it so so so much more. The aspect resolution scales perfectly to a standard PC monitor and the NES themes look great. Of course, the NSMBU theme still looks a little funky, but it isn't all that bad.

The game also feels like it plays a little differently to the Wii U version... It's hard to describe. It's like the controls are less responsive or something. Like you're working with ice physics all the time.

But all in all, I'd say it's a good release, and worth it if you can live with the top screen being how it is.

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm loving the game, I just beat challenge. I'm pretty sure Nintendo took the stuff away for when switch port is made.
Here's my save for anyone that wants it, my only request is that if someone collects 40 medals in it to please reupload it here.

Attachments

• smm.zip
    567 bytes · Views: 199
Last edited by Svaethier,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: