My Theory of Why the Wii U Can Not Succeed

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Dear Leader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    Hello Comrades.

There I present to you my glorious theory about the future of the Wii U and why it's not possible for it to succeed.

Let us first look at sales of previous Nintendo console sales before the Wii:

NES: 62 million
    SNES: 49 million
    N64: 33 million
    GameCube: 22 million

Before the Wii, Nintendo did not target the super casual gamers. Therefore, these numbers represents the true core Nintendo fans. The number of Nintendo fans have been going down over the years.

For the Wii, Nintendo targets the super casual gamers.

Wii: 100 million

However, I know for a fact that over 80% those 100 million people are super causual. Why you ask me? I tell you. Let's see the sales of core Wii games.

Mario Galaxy: 12 million
    Super Smash Bros Brawl: 11 million
    Zelda Skyward Sword: 3.5 million
    Zelda Twlight Princess: 5.8 million
    Metroid Prime 3: 1.3 million

Now, just tell me. If 100 million people own Wii, why is there not even close to 20 million copies sold of ANY core Nintendo game? Because most people who buy Wii got it for Wii Fit or Wii Party. Super casual people, not Nintendo fans.

Now keep in mind, the number of core Nintendo fans is even smaller than the GameCube due to the decreasing trend. If you extend the trend ignoring the Wii, there's only about 12 million total core Nintendo fans to buy the Wii U at this moment in time.

Now, you may be wondering where that about the super casual gamers are? Well, let me tell you

1) They are okay with the Wii they own and don't care to upgrade
    2) They don't know the Wii U exist because they super causal and Nintendo doesn't do good marketing
    3) They moved on to smartphones and tablets
    4) Nintendo hasn't been targeting the super causal market with the Wii U anyway

Therefore, the Wii U is failing because it's not possible for it to not fail. There's only about 12 million people still left to buy the system.

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    go back to your "chemical bomb world war 2 zombies ops" Kim Jong-un

and leave nintendo zeldi and pokemon alone

calmwaters likes this.
  3. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    But do you actually find anything that prove my argument is wrong?

Also, DPRK is peaceful friendly country. Why you think it's called "Democratic People's Republic of Korea"?

4. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    You could just order your entire population to buy one.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    sorry, i don't have an opinion about console sales, i read your post but i am neutral, i just wanted to make some joke about your picture

6. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    Can no one find good counterargument? I openly challenge anyone to find a solid logical counterargument against my original post.

7. ßleck

ßleck Console Peasant

Jun 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    I don't know. Help.
    I find it funny how no one took this seriously because of your avatar. Also you remind me of somebody... Are you Kirito-Kun? Is this one of your undetectable personalities? :rofl2:

Sorry if I went too off-topic.

8. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Maybe a lot of the Wii owners ended up selling their console or getting a PS3/360 instead. Just because there's 100 million consoles sold, doesn't mean there's 100 million people playing it. You make 12 million copies of a game sound bad.

oh well, nintendoomed.

9. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    You define success as being market leader or to achieve some unit sales milestone. Nintendo has had just a handful of unprofitable quarters in its 100+ year lifespan and is currently back to profitability. The Wiiu can continue to exist as a 3rd place contender and still eak out a small margin with quality 1st party software much like N did with the GCN.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/31/45...quarterly-profit-despite-terrible-wii-u-sales

In contrast, MS is still billions in the red overall for the xbox division and nobody says a word.

10. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Glad I'm not the only one who thought this :rofl2:

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Welcome to GBA Temp, where logic is nonexistent and the logical post people try to make continue to make wholes in the time-space continuum. I remember hearing about how bad that division on Microsoft's end.

12. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    In my country, people are executed for not taking me seriously.

I assure you I am very genuinely Kim Jong-un. Not know what this other person is, but no one else matches the glory of me. Magnificent leader of North Korea since by dear father Kim Jong-il died.

Now, let's not get sidetracked, as this is serious thread. We taking about the future of Nintendo's console, and by extension, Nintendo as a company. So you have anything to add to subject?

migles likes this.
  13. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Kirito-Kun isn't clever enough to be our glorious sun god Kim Jong-Un, holy be thy name.

Pretty sure the Wii U can't succeed because it's a bad console at a very basic level.

14. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    I agree with you because you is "communist" as said in your name. Have a hammer and sickle:

However, I think biggest problem is Nintendo has no core fans left. The bad hardware stops other hardcore gamer from taking the system. But lack of fans is biggest problem.

15. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada

Nintendo as a company will be around for a loooooong time. Hell I will put 100 bucks down and say that Sony or Microsoft bow out first before Nintendo. Sony more likely.

the_randomizer likes this.
  16. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    You do know GTAV only sold 26 million and 160 million 360/PS3 that is only 16% of people that own either console also own GTAV.... So Mario Galaxy sold 12 million and the Wii sold 100 million so only 12% of people that own a Wii own SMG.... That isn't that far off from each other so I'm guessing the PS3/360 were also failures right? GTA is also one the few top selling games across both consoles the next biggest seller that wasn't CoD or GTA was Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 at 11 million sold and Halo 3 at 12 million. So GT5 saw 13% of owners and Halo 3 saw 15%.... All the consoles saw this trend that people that buy a console don't actually buy every triple AAA game.

Next big game for the PS3 was Uncharted 2 which only 7% of PS3 owners own and 360 was Halo Reach sitting at 11% of 360 owners own. I really don't want to go any lower than that because even "system seller" MGS4 also only saw 7% as well.

Guess PS3 and 360 had over 80% super casual as well then if that is what you think sells a console

17. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Ummm, you're missing a few core nintendo titles:
    MarioKart Wii: 34.26 Million Sales
    Super Mario Bros. Wii: 27.88 Million Sales

Nintendo fanboys are spread across quite a number of Nintendo Franchises:
    Mario
    Zelda
    Pokemon
    Metroid
    Star Fox
    Super Smash Bros.
    Animal Crossing
    Pikmin
    Kirby
    ...and more

So if you divide those 100 million people up, it's no wonder why not many single games have sold over 20 million copies.

And I would argue that Nintendo has been marketing to the casual gamer. I've seen multiple television advertisements that would be appealing to the casual gamer, and a lot of the Wii U's features (TVii, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, and Internet Browser) appeal to the casual gamer. The Wii U is cheaper than the other consoles of it's generation (what type of "casual gamer" pays $400+ for a console???) and the ability to play on the Wii U tablet, leaving the tv available for other uses, also appeals to the casual gamer. I really don't see much validity at all in your argument, yes quite a few people will not see an immediate need to retire their old Wii for a shiny Wii U, but with a lack of new games coming out for the Wii it's sure to happen eventually.

18. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Well, if they sold them, you'd figure someone had to buy them. (Of course they could have just left them collecting dust on the shelf, in a box in the attic ... or even thrown them out so I guess point taken) :lol:

19. Dear Leader
    OP

Dear Leader Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Pyongyang
    Those are not the kind of games that sell systems, and they also have super casual appeal. That's the kind of game a super casual may buy, just because he sees it in the store shelf. Not everyone who buy Mario or Kart is really hardcore Nintendo fans. I'm checking size of core fans by taking a look at games only core Nintendo fans will buy.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I see this thread ending well.:creep: