Hardware My switch doesn't charge, won't turn on, or is otherwise not functioning at all. Where do I start?

Ra-D-OH-3H

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Boot atmosphere and check any buttons on joycon .You must checking buttons and touch sound in the system without video.Check in dock station .Nintendo switch boots fine without lcd.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1 . Check caps in LCD data line . (short`s)
2 Check shorts in the caps around tegra area

mgabe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got my power meter today and I’m getting 15.00V but 0.00A which I guess is scenario 2 in this thread. I’ve tested continuity and it’s good between the two points with red arrows pointing. Next step is a battery replacement? Looks like those are about $30 so if there’s any other checks worth doing first? I don’t have a microscope myself but have a multimeter and now this USB-C power meter.

Attachments

• C674B82D-5579-411B-BEE0-E9A0DDDB1A1C.jpeg
    C674B82D-5579-411B-BEE0-E9A0DDDB1A1C.jpeg
    811.5 KB · Views: 207

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Boot atmosphere and check any buttons on joycon .You must checking buttons and touch sound in the system without video.Check in dock station .Nintendo switch boots fine without lcd.

1 . Check caps in LCD data line . (short`s)
2 Check shorts in the caps around tegra area
I bought a new LCD and i got the same result :( so its the board that got damaged when I shorted it with the LCD cable
Is there any hope for fixing it? @CHTechRepair

Ramsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new LCD and i got the same result :( so its the board that got damaged when I shorted it with the LCD cable
Is there any hope for fixing it? @CHTechRepair
There is... In most cases you shorted either the m92 with power or the p13 with video. I would suggest checking capacitors next to the m92 chip. In most cases the bottom left vertically laid capacitor leads to the p13. If that is shorted you need a new p13. If any others are shorted I would suggest removing the m92 and checking if it is still shorted. If it is with the m92 removed and no pads soldered together on accident. You burnt the cpu.

There is... In most cases you shorted either the m92 with power or the p13 with video. I would suggest checking capacitors next to the m92 chip. In most cases the bottom left vertically laid capacitor leads to the p13. If that is shorted you need a new p13. If any others are shorted I would suggest removing the m92 and checking if it is still shorted. If it is with the m92 removed and no pads soldered together on accident. You burnt the cpu.
If you need specifics on p13 capacitor lmk I can upload edited photo with it circled

If you need specifics on p13 capacitor lmk I can upload edited photo with it circled
Nvm I had one done

Attachments

• aQ8GXOo.jpg.jpg
    aQ8GXOo.jpg.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 183

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal

Nvm I had one done
Thanks, i'll check the caps again!
A bit more info, the console does boot! I can start a payload from RCM so its just the screen.
The screen does some flicker, like really quickly from black to white to black again. The backlight obviously works because its in a different cable.

Check the link, it shows what happens.

Last edited by dicamarques,

Ramsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, i'll check the caps again!
A bit more info, the console does boot! I can start a payload from RCM so its just the screen.
The screen does some flicker, like really quickly from black to white to black again. The backlight obviously works because its in a different cable.

Check the link, it shows what happens.

I'll be dead honest I have never seen that before. Very intriguing! Have you tried unplugging the screen and docking the console? To see if it is booting fully or if it's getting stuck on the boot and performing that weird loop. Also when you start your payload does the screen operate correctly or still wack out

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
I'll be dead honest I have never seen that before. Very intriguing! Have you tried unplugging the screen and docking the console? To see if it is booting fully or if it's getting stuck on the boot and performing that weird loop. Also when you start your payload does the screen operate correctly or still wack out
I can't dock it for two reasons, I don't have the dock and the memory is completely corrupted (possible brick from a CFW).
This switch was given to me like that, with a bricked emmc.

Ramsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't dock it for two reasons, I don't have the dock and the memory is completely corrupted (possible brick from a CFW).
This switch was given to me like that, with a bricked emmc.
Ah ok I must have missed that part earlier on I am sorry. I didn't read the previous messages very recently. I am not really sure how to get passed bricked memory. Is that something that is replaceable. Or how were you expecting to fix it.

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Ah ok I must have missed that part earlier on I am sorry. I didn't read the previous messages very recently. I am not really sure how to get passed bricked memory. Is that something that is replaceable. Or how were you expecting to fix it.
Currently I just want to try to fix the screen. Then I might try to revive the memory, if i'm not succesful it's just going to be a android tablet xD

Ramsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I just want to try to fix the screen. Then I might try to revive the memory, if i'm not succesful it's just going to be a android tablet xD
Ah understood. I would start with p13 and m92 then easiest options for replacing and getting a good result. I would honestly be under the assumption the memory would effect the video and output production. Due to software running the rest od the board. And if your memory is bad it may not have any chance of good video production

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Small (big) update, i managed to make it boot the oficial OS!, everything without using a screen!
So, now i'm waiting for my USB-C to HDMI adapter to arrive and see if i can use the console has a "docked switch"

(the screen died when I tried to reconnect the LCD cable without turning the console off)
Now i'm wondering, if I don't have image on the LCD or the HDMI, could this mean i have the P13USB chip dead?
@CHTechRepair any tips here?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's a guy on Youtube that has ample videos about switch repairs. Search Tronicsfix. Dude's got some enlightening videos about repairs.
He repairs. He's a repairer that repairs. And does reparations of devices needing to be repaired. And sometimes they are beyond repair, but there's a lot to learn about the repair process.

dicamarques

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
There's a guy on Youtube that has ample videos about switch repairs. Search Tronicsfix. Dude's got some enlightening videos about repairs.
He repairs. He's a repairer that repairs. And does reparations of devices needing to be repaired. And sometimes they are beyond repair, but there's a lot to learn about the repair process.
Thanks for the tip, i've seen some videos from him, but i'm still trying to find someone with the same issue as me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: Useless but a true art