My Supercard SD One Experience

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by peepoop, Jan 9, 2007.

Jan 9, 2007

My Supercard SD One Experience by peepoop at 5:35 AM (1,733 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. peepoop
    OP

Newcomer peepoop Member

United States
    So far my Supercard SD experience has been nearly flawless.

Here's the quick summary-

- I ordered from RealHotStuff.
    - My SCSD has a red circuit board.
    - I'm using the new Supercard OS "1229"
    - My MicroSD is a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II (the fast kind): http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1874)...icroSD_1GB.aspx
    - I've formatted my MicroSD as FAT16 with 64k clusters. (haven't tried formatting any other way)
    - I am not using clean roms. My roms were clean, then I patched them with the official Supercard software, v2.58. I did this to enable direct saving as well as the quick reboot key combination.

When I run the SD speed test, I'm told that my MicroSD is really slow and that on a scale of 1 to 32, *5* is the speed I should use. This is TOTALLY INCORRECT and is way too slow. I'm able to set my card speed to "4X" (whatever that is on the 1-32 sale, I have no idea) and so far it has worked flawlessly.

The intro video for Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is flawless and runs at FULL SPEED.
    The intro video for Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is flawless and runs at FULL SPEED. I've played this game for about 30 minutes so far and I've hit the start and select buttons non-stop for about 30 seconds. I didn't experience a single crash or freeze.

I just got my Supercard today and so far so good. I'm not saying that Castlevania won't crash in the future, or that other games won't have problems, but from what I've seen today I really don't have anything to complain about.

2. astonius

Newcomer astonius Member

United States
    Sounds a lot like my experience (at least with the Castlevania games). I don't know why so many people are having problems with Supercard DS Ones. I have a Kingston 1GB (Japan) that was detected at 30x speed. I've tested about 25 games, including the big troublemakers such as Castlevania DoS and PoR, Metroid Pinball, Animal Crossing Wild World, and Final Fantasy III with absolutely no slowdown or crashing whatsoever. I haven't tried any download play, but then again I don't really care too much about it. Have you tried it yet?

3. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm pretty sure it's a bad batch, sorta like how the G6L that came out first in China were mostly messed up..

I mean also look at the DS-X, there's a perfect product that been plagued with defective units due to bad production quality control

4. dOoBiX

Banned dOoBiX Banned

United States
    Hmm, my SCDS from realhotstuff has a green circuit board! [​IMG] What does that mean?

5. callandor

Newcomer callandor Member

Singapore
    my normal sandisk 1gb plays everygame flawlessly but dos intro is abit stuttery and por freezes, will be getting either the high speed one or the kingston faster speed one when i return to singapore.

other wise it's all good, haven't had any major problems.

i'll go try the supercard patcher and see if this affects anything

6. peepoop
    OP

Newcomer peepoop Member

United States
    Well after playing Castlevania: POR for a little longer last night I did run into a few crashes.

Hitting start and select doesn't seem to trigger them, though. It'll just crash randomly in the middle of playing.

The (broken) microsd speed autodetector claims that you'll need to set the speed to at least 25 to get POR to not crash. I tried setting it to 25, 26, 27, and 28, and on all of them the game will freeze up after five to ten minutes of play.

I'm beginning to think this is a supercard software problem and not a microSD speed problem.

I haven't come across any problems in any other titles yet. POR seems to be the sole troublemaker for now.

7. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    I heard the GUI is really pretty...

That true?

8. coroner4

Newcomer coroner4 Member

Canada
    I, for one, don't like it.

9. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    I think it's a great card.

Mine is a red board & my micro SD slot is NOT spring loaded

.......BUT......

A coworker of mine (that also has a red board & bought it from RealHotStuff.com also - 2 days later) has a spring loaded micro SD slot on the DSONE!

Go figure!!!

We both love the DSONE!!! [​IMG]

10. grayswan

Newcomer grayswan Member

United States
    yeah mine arrived monday and I'm loving every minute. no problems at all.