My story of being stupid and wasting money

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by mantorras, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mantorras
    OP

mantorras Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hello people.

Here's my sad story.

So i d'loaded SSBB ISO think ing i had DVD+R DL's that a friend of mine gave me a couple of months ago. But then i didn't find them anywere in my room!

And i thought "what the heck, i'll buy one of two of them".

So i went to the shopping center. Entered a store and saw the Verbatims. 6.99€ for a +R DL and 6.20 for a -R DL. I was like, "whoa", right?

I almost bought one of each because i wasn't sure which type was right.

*note: the ISO was on my laptop and i was spending the next 3 hours out of home so i really wanted to burn the game meanwhile, so i'd play it as soon as i arrived home*

But then i thought, "screw this expensive store. i don't even want jewel cases, maybe i'll find a store with small spindles".

And there i was, in another store. There weren't spindles for DL's but atleast there were 5-packs at 26€. Much better of a deal, 5,20€ each!

"but what type to buy", i thought!!! "i think +R is more apropriate but on the other hand i use single layer -R and they work fine, plus they're Verbatim anything should work!"

And i added to my self "maybe i won't open the cardbox until i get to the internet and find out which type is right", so i could trade them back in case i was wrong.

AND SO I BOUGHT THE DVD-R DL 5-PACK

When i arrive to where i was heading to, i remembered that i couldn't get in with a cardbox, only my laptop (it's a hospital). so i said "WHAT THE HECK, I'LL RIP THE BOX APART, OPEN ONE DVD BOX AND PUT THE DVD IN MY COMPUTER, THEN I'LL BURN IT INSIDE"

*sigh*

When i got to the interwebs inside the hospital i read that -R DL's give a lot of problems [​IMG]

I was starting to feel bad, but still i hoped for the best and burnt one copy, the ISO was just Brickblocked and Regionfrii'd. My Wii is 3.2E 1.9g.

Needless to say that when i arrived home it didn't work. All i was getting was a black screen after starting the game.

But THEN, i read that i MIGHT get lucky if i use one DVD5 copy first. And so i did!
    I regionfrii'd and Wiiscrubbed the clean ISO and burn one RITEK, then pulled the 15% update trick!

When i booted back the DVD9, something different happened!
    Instead of a black screen it gave me an Error #001!

Then this morning i searched some more and found out that the cause could be the -R. DAMN DECISION YESTERDAY!

I went the store #1 trying to say that my mom bought these 3 DVD-R DL (they are sealed and intact) but i wanted +R, and sadly she lost the invoice!
    And they were like "no invoice, no trade".

So i ended up spending 7 more euros (6.99) to buy a single Verbatim DVD+R DL which i'm burning right now, same process as i did with the -R one.

Moral of the story:

I've spent 33 euros just to play SSBB before the PAL launch.

I have 4 useless DVD-R DL in jewel cases, 3 of them sealed and intact, one of them also sealed but with the wrapper "touched" by the pen i used to open the cardbox.

I feel stupid and today is my birthday!

But srsly what do you think i should do to the 4 DVD's? ebay them? Do that multiple ISO disk Gamecube thing works with dual layers? -R? I could get a shit ton of Gamecube games in there.

/end

2. mantorras
    OP

mantorras Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2008
    Aaand... success. I feel good and bad at the same time.

Well, at least lessons can be learned.

All you PAL kids with 3.2E firmware and a LEGIT Wiikey 1.9g need to play SSBB is a regular DVD5 and a proper DVD+R DL

DVD5: ISO regionfrii'd and Wiiscrubbed ONLY FOR UPDATE PURPOSES
    Pull the mains when the update is at 15%
    DVD9: ISO regionfrii'd and brickblocked
    Play the hell out of SSBB USA without duplicated channels
    ????
    Profit

It's only working at 50Hz though.

edit: lol working but poorly if the intro is any indicator. Maybe the laser power pot trick might help?

3. acky

acky GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2006
    Yeah I didn't know which to use either when I got to the store. I guess I got lucky taking an uneducated guess.

4. CockroachMan

CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Jan 14, 2006
    Brazil
    Brazil
    Your story sucks.. I want my 2 minutes back..

lol.. use the -R disks for backup purpose.. the Wii might not read it well, but your PC will..

5. Javacat

Javacat GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2007
    I feel stupid for reading your story about being stupid [​IMG]

6. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    I've got a story about wasting money that is quick and to the point.

I once bought a Game.com for £4.

7. dakeyras

dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Netherlands
    The game.com made the suicide rate go up.

8. taggart6

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

IT"S A TRAP!

9. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    TL;DR

10. mantorras
    OP

mantorras Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2008
    Just to update, my SSBB now runs so fine it's almost unbelievable. Even all the cutscenes and videos etc.

Happy ending after all. The sad part is that i don't know how to play this shi-

11. Mewgia

Mewgia drifter

Dec 16, 2006
    United States
    Boston, MA
    expensive disks are expensive

srsly, $10 for ONE disk? Wow :/

12. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    Burn the discs.