Hardware My "Steam Machine"

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my machine. It's not super beefy but so far it does what I need it to very well.

Old shell vs new shell vertical
pdOcAIA.jpg

Old shell vs new shell horizontal
RGkXxpL.jpg

Inside the new PC shell
1LYtP12.jpg

Completed Project
hMcfuK0.jpg

Specs

Motherboard: dell m5dcd motherboard
RAM: 2x HYNIX 4GB 2RX8 PC3 10600U for a total of 8GB of RAM
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.50 GHz (upgrade from my old Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30 GHz)
GPU: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card
Storage: 1x 1TB HDD and 1x 2TB HDD
VR Support: Trinus VR software + plastic Google Cardboard headset + gyroscopic mouse

Only two things left
- 4TB HDD. Games are getting damn big LMAO!
- a SSD to move my Windows install to for faster booting.

Last edited by LightyKD,

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a gpu upgrade would do you better off. Unless that i3 is complete garbo. That may need a psu upgrade too

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a gpu upgrade would do you better off. Unless that i3 is complete garbo. That may need a psu upgrade too
I just got the GPU so it's here to stay for now. I'm still playing catch-up from the PS3/360 generation so aside from Shenmue 3, there isn't much in the new games department that grabs me. The newest games in my PC collection are the new Senran Kagura and Onechanbara games and they barely use up much power.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I just got the GPU so it's here to stay for now. I'm still playing catch-up from the PS3/360 generation so aside from Shenmue 3, there isn't much in the new games department that grabs me. The newest games in my PC collection are the new Senran Kagura and Onechanbara games and they barely use up much power.
Why did you get an old outdated GT730:sad:
Return it if you can. Get at least a GTX 950.
Or you can keep the GT730 BUT it doesn't matter if you get an i5 or an i3 as both of them will be technically bottlenecked by the GT730

Last edited by raystriker,

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by the sticker on the Dell case, OP has a 3rd Gen i3. Since a GT730 trumps a GTS 250 although technically the GTS 250 is faster, I'd say JC2 will run pretty well at reasonable settings.
True. If he upgraded his GT, though, it might run pretty damn well with higher settings.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont understand the idea of installing the plain Android X86.
It'd be better to use Android VMs like Bluestacks etc OR BETTER YET http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc :wub:

I explained that in my Android x86 thread. This steam machine is being strictly used from a TV. Remix OS was made for desktops used for work. I can easily add the OUYA or another TV launcher to plain Android and use my 360 controller to navigate. Speaking of which, my damn install is still going. I started at 11pm est on Saturday and today at 4pm est I was only at 63 %. -word to the wise, dont do a large Android x86 install unless you are sure of things lol.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing Android x86 as a dual boot went horribly on my PC. Now I'm using Andy Android emulator and so far it has given me some surprisingly good results. The one main issue I have with it is getting the emulator to use my 360 controller as a controller and not as a mouse. I might test with some Bluetooth gamepads later today. My other issue is figuring out how I want to access Andy from Steam and also getting Steam to load faster on startup. I'm not trying to wait around on my desktop as steam updates upon every boot into Windows.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh wow. Good luck trying to find a decent half-height GPU better than a 1050. Even an i3 is really good for gaming,as your big bottleneck would be your GPU. But your new case only uses half-height cards (and looks like it doesn't support 90 degree mounting), severly limiting your selection. a 1050 is not much better than what you have there - especially when compared to the almighty 1080 and whatever Vega throws at us.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Oh wow. Good luck trying to find a decent half-height GPU better than a 1050. Even an i3 is really good for gaming,as your big bottleneck would be your GPU. But your new case only uses half-height cards (and looks like it doesn't support 90 degree mounting), severly limiting your selection. a 1050 is not much better than what you have there - especially when compared to the almighty 1080 and whatever Vega throws at us.
The GTX1050 is waaaaaay better than the GT730.
Also, there is a GTX1050Ti low profile by MSI.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's a low-end pc, but as long as you're happy playing the games you like and run it at decent fps there's nothing wrong. Sure i would've choosen the 750 ti over 730 or now the amd rx 260.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: