Gaming My SSBB NTSC-U + PAL Wii + Wiikey experience

zebrax0r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all.

I thought I'd post my experience in getting SSBB: NTSC-U working flawlessly. I've noticed lots of different methods/suggestions/conjecture about the game working or not working. I thought if I posted this, it might give people a little hope
smile.gif

1. First and foremost, I had updated to PAL Wii firmware 3.2E as soon as it was available, via system update

2. I have a Wiikey installed, running 1.9g firmware ( the last known firmware since team Wiikey seemed to vanish from public visibility as far as Wiikey development goes
hate2.gif
)

3. I wrote the NTSC-U full DVD9 ISO to a dual layer MKM003 @ 8x in my Pioneer DVD-215 running 1.18 firmware, using imgburn (beta version, cannot be publically disclosed).

4. I didn't set a layer break manually

5. I set the book type to DVD-ROM (defaulted)

6. I did not write the disk at low speed

7. I did not patch the ISO in *any* way

8. Once written, I CRC verified the DVD+R DL media...then popped it into the Wii

9. Asked for a channel update - let it update...and out of principle (call me old school if you want) I did not yank the power at 15% to avoid duplicate channels.

10. Confirmed duplicate channels existed.

11. Played game

So...

* No "001" errors
* No poor streaming/loading of movies
* No game crashes
* Sub Space Emmisary works just fine

I guess it begs the question - what are the factors that make it NOT work, for so many people
wink.gif

Cheers.

z

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't quite understand what I did wrong in that case =/ ... (see my topic in this forum for details)

Hm, maybe it could be the booktype. What does that do to be specific?

zebrax0r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Selxis said:
I don't quite understand what I did wrong in that case =/ ... (see my topic in this forum for details)

Hm, maybe it could be the booktype. What does that do to be specific?

Hi Selix.

A DVD booktype is what is known as a physical descriptor of the format. It is a flag at the lead in/near lead in offset of DVD media that "tells" the reader/writer device what TYPE of media it is.

Traditionally:

* DVD+R media has the booktype of DVD+R and can be set to DVD-ROM in burner firmware
* DVD-R media has the booktype of DVD-R and can be set to DVD-ROM in the firmware of only very special writers/firmware (such as the NuTech 0082 series drives)
* DVD+R DL media has the booktype of DVD+R DL by default, but, with almost ALL writers on the market is default generated set to DVD-ROM for "compatibility" purposes
* DVD-R DL media has the booktype of DVD-R

As you might have guessed, the DVD-ROM booktype is widely regarded as being higher in "compatibility" with reader devices, hence, so many manufacturers opt to set their booktype this way.

As to what you've done wrong...a few suggestions:

1. What model of burner are you using? I'd hope it would be fairly current with the very latest firmware running
2. What MID was the DVD+R DL media you used?
3. How/what burning engine did you use?

Cheers.

z

MelonSmasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You just have luck with your laser some other people have a bad laser.

just luck....
People i dont suggest doing this just take your time and remove updates etc and do it carefully the chance you brick your wii will reduce extremely.

grtz niels

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
zebrax0r said:

1. What model of burner are you using? I'd hope it would be fairly current with the very latest firmware running

Cheers.

z

My burning device is called Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A and I assume it's the latest firmware. What do you mean MID? It's a MediaRange DVD+R DL, 8.5GB. I burned it in imgburn.

zebrax0r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Selxis said:
zebrax0r said:

Cheers.

z

My burning device is called Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A and I assume it's the latest firmware. What do you mean MID? It's a MediaRange DVD+R DL, 8.5GB. I burned it in imgburn.

MID == Media Identification code. It is the unique flag in the media lead in that tells the user (and writer firmware) what manufacturer/stamper made the disk and also allows the firmware on the writer to correctly allocate write strategies associated with that particular brand/dye type/speed descriptor.

Your MID can be ascertained using numerous programs. Imgburn can do it...DVDInfoPro can do it...etc.

zebrax0r

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Selxis said:
Disc-ID is RICOHJPN-D01-67.

I cannot find the MID using imgburn.

RICOHJPN-D01 is the MID of your media
smile.gif
. You've found it.

I've successfully made working backups of the original using:

MKM001 @ 4x
MKM003 @ 8x
RICOHJPN-D01 @ 2.4x

Helps?

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get it then... i've tried an unmodified version of smash and the PAL guide but to no use... maybe it's my burner?? Or the discs...

DiNo29

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
SSBB US and Wiikey 1.9g here too, and it doesn't work.
My problem is simple enough, I got a launch wii and the laser is badly set up.
I'll open my Wii next week to try to set it up well.

For those who can't manage to get the game to work :

If the game doesnt boot at all, you did something bad.
When you have a laser problem, it still ask you if you want to create a savegame, and then you get a loading screen, before it try to access the second layer and send a DRE.
If you get a black screen at the very beginning, and got a pal wii, set it to 50Hz (then deflicker off in the game's options and back to 60hz)
If you get a loading screen and then a DRE when it should read the intro movie, then your laser is off. It may work with better quality media at different burning speeds, but it's still off, you'll probably have to open your wii.

Selxis

Trophies
XP
Country
how do I fiddle with the laser in the wii? Cause the last problem you stated sounds an awful lot like that one im having...

I highly suspect that the media I use is poor... I ordered 10 pieces of Memorex DVD+R DL discs in hopes of better results.

Pici

Trophies
XP
Country
France
fuckduallayer said:
You just have luck with your laser some other people have a bad laser.

just luck....
People i dont suggest doing this just take your time and remove updates etc and do it carefully the chance you brick your wii will reduce extremely.

grtz niels

Let's admit that i have a bad laser, so my game does not work.
But what happened when I put this game in my wii ? Did this DL damage my laser ? I say that because now just a few game are working, for example no more heroes worked flawlessly before and then it never worked again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1