Hardware My sony ps3 is not reading my games?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Laser lens (or entire reader) often break on PS3 :(
A friend of mine (with a PS3 FAT) had his optic block replaced two times already. It broke after playing games with intensive read access (Gran turismo5).

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 2 year old PS3 Slim is in a similar situation. It stopped reading Blu Ray disks (PS3 games and movies) intermittently, but reads DVDs with no problem. I've deduced that it's the Blu Ray lens that needs a good swabbing. If that doesn't work, I may have to have the lens or entire optical drive replaced. I've also heard that there's a chance that running a "Restore File System" from the PS3s Recovery Mode may fix this problem as well. I'm a bit hesitant to try this however, because it's on kmeaw's CFW. Although I've read blogs and tuts on this matter that it shouldn't matter what FW it's on (because it's restoring files in the boot process before the FW launches) I'd still like to hear from anyone that's had to run a "Restore File System" on a CFW'd PS3 for whatever reason.

EDIT: I went to run my PS3 into Recovery Mode to run the aforementioned "Restore File System" option, but it's working just fine now. I've since decided to obtain a PS3 Lens Cleaner Disk just in case the problem resurfaces. In the meantime, I've also come across an interesting "workaround" that involves: 1) inserting a PS3 game disk, 2) waiting for the disk to not register on the XMB, 3) launching a game title from the Game option, 4) exiting the game to the XMB, and 5) *poof* the disk magically appears on the XMB. I'll keep you posted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: then sly and daxter and ratchet and clank