Hacking My situation, need help.

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've passed on my Wii for a while now. I have a chip in it, and the system is on 4.2U, now I want to update and play Galaxy 2, Kirby, DKCR, and Xenoblade. How can I go about updating, is it easy? The last time I updated something messed up and I had one of the screens (Gecko?) I think upside down and mirrored and I had to do everything opposite.

Anyway, can anyone get me on the right path to doing everything? Is letterbomb the best way?

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm so out of the loop with this. Would using these updates fix my mirrored screen? Sorry for the questions guys I'm overwhelmed by how big this scenes gotten since 2008.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The mirrored screen is only in the homebrew channel, right? That's a problem caused by NOT having the official IOS installed. Only things to loose by official updates are region free(that's lost on 4.2 already) and the HBC. So basically, just try the new games, and if they want an update, let them update. Just be sure that the games are from the correct region, a wrong region update will brick your Wii.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
JoostinOnline said:
Updating your System Menu would probably disable your chip.
No, it won't. Like WiiPower said, you'll only lose the Region-Free option of your Chip, which can be restored via Homebrew anyways (Priiloader, Startpatch, Pussieloader, etc.), so not a big deal.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
JoostinOnline said:
No, it won't. Like WiiPower said, you'll only lose the Region-Free option of your Chip, which can be restored via Homebrew anyways (Priiloader, Startpatch, Pussieloader, etc.), so not a big deal.
I know that 4.2+ disables region free, but I thought you had to update the firmware of some modchips before they would work with 4.3. Is that not the case?

Edit: Man, I've really been off my game lately. I'm having to look up a lot of stuff that I previously had memorized, else I risk saying something incorrect. I'd like to blame it on my extra work load, but I've been this busy before without it affecting me. I feel like a newbie again with all the questions I have.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
JoostinOnline said:
Blue-K said:
JoostinOnline said:
I know that 4.2+ disables region free, but I thought you had to update the firmware of some modchips before they would work with 4.3. Is that not the case?

Edit: Man, I've really been off my game lately. I'm having to look up a lot of stuff that I previously had memorized, else I risk saying something incorrect. I'd like to blame it on my extra work load, but I've been this busy before without it affecting me. I feel like a newbie again with all the questions I have.

Nah, you know A LOT OF GOOD STUFF!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wii modchips are not real modchips, they are drive chips. They work so well for 1:1 copies from the same region because of this. There's no real way to detect the modchip for nintendo's software, because it communicates with the drive, and that's modified by the chip. Region free with modchip's is a hack where the chip returns wrong values from the disc. And these values don't add up correctly with the signature if the system menu takes a closer look. That's why modchips will never be region free again on their own, they will always need a software hack for this for 4.2+.

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, so I went with the ModMii way, for 4.2U and I believe it went well. However, I've noticed a few things go wrong so far, I'm posting an image.
xbz23l.jpg

Now, do I need the same SD card in my Wii with the files I copied over, or can I use my original SD with all my saves? I select the HBC channel when I turn on my Wii and I get that error, but going to SysMenu and then HBC works fine.
Also, I got a copy of Epic Mickey I wanted to try out, and it shows up fine on my Disc Channel, but when I start the game it just goes to a black screen, its all NTSC as well.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
since u have a chip, install a non-fakesigned (ie. Not Patched) system menu IOS (IOS70 on 4.2 Wii's). Also if u installed a cMIOS, overwrite it by installing MIOSv10. You can grab both of these in wad from from ModMii's download page 1, then just install them with a wad manager. That should allow your chip to function properly and then u should be able to play games from the disc channel again.

Also, u say you start the Wii then launch the HBC, it doesn't work... then you go on to say that when you launch the HBC from the system menu it works fine... which begs the question, where were you launching the HBC from the first time when it failed? Did u try launching it from priiloader? What version of priiloader do u have installed? Older versions cannot boot the latest version of the HBC directly. To fix that, either upgrade priiloader, or install a HBC forwarder dol as a file in priiloader.

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
since u have a chip, install a non-fakesigned (ie. Not Patched) system menu IOS (IOS70 on 4.2 Wii's). Also if u installed a cMIOS, overwrite it by installing MIOSv10. You can grab both of these in wad from from ModMii's download page 1, then just install them with a wad manager. That should allow your chip to function properly and then u should be able to play games from the disc channel again.

Also, u say you start the Wii then launch the HBC, it doesn't work... then you go on to say that when you launch the HBC from the system menu it works fine... which begs the question, where were you launching the HBC from the first time when it failed? Did u try launching it from priiloader? What version of priiloader do u have installed? Older versions cannot boot the latest version of the HBC directly. To fix that, either upgrade priiloader, or install a HBC forwarder dol as a file in priiloader.

The first time it was directly from first boot after the system turns on, it had Wii - HBC- then two other options to choose from with the reset button on the Wii. I'll update priiloader if that's the case because I don't remember the last time I touched it.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
greco78 said:
The first time it was directly from first boot after the system turns on, it had Wii - HBC- then two other options to choose from with the reset button on the Wii.

that would be bootmii @ boot2 your talking about... it sounds like u updated your HBC but not bootmii @ boot2... to fix the problem, reinstall bootmii @ boot2 using the latest hackmii installer v0.8

I'll update priiloader if that's the case because I don't remember the last time I touched it.

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XFlak said:
greco78 said:
The first time it was directly from first boot after the system turns on, it had Wii - HBC- then two other options to choose from with the reset button on the Wii.

that would be bootmii @ boot2 your talking about... it sounds like u updated your HBC but not bootmii @ boot2... to fix the problem, reinstall bootmii @ boot2 using the latest hackmii installer v0.8

I'll update priiloader if that's the case because I don't remember the last time I touched it.

Well I got those WADs you mentioned I installed them, I installed the Red Wii theme earlier so now instead of priiloader, it boots to the System Menu instead on startup. I don't think it's still 100% right because I burnt two copies of EM, one was run through BrickBlocker, the other was normal. One asked me to update, the other black screen with my Wiimote off.

Again sorry guys, I'm trying my best but something's still off.

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
You need to install priiloader (if you haven't already) and turn on the System Menu Hacks, specifically the one that blocks disc updates.
I've done just this, is there any other setting? The game still won't run, it goes to a black screen.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
greco78 said:
DeadlyFoez said:
You need to install priiloader (if you haven't already) and turn on the System Menu Hacks, specifically the one that blocks disc updates.
I've done just this, is there any other setting? The game still won't run, it goes to a black screen.
It does that when running from the Disc Channel?

greco78

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so thanks again guys I've got everything up and running so far so good. The only problem I have now is with Gecko OS. What's the latest version of the OS because the one I have won't install and says error. So I have to go to MultiMod and go through a bunch of folders to run the boot of the OS. Is there a way to fix this and get it on my HBC? Also, the cheats, is there a good program to go with? A tutorial perhaps?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.