My Shield TV won't let me take screenshots anymore.

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sonic Angel Knight, May 21, 2018.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sometime ago, I noticed that I am unable to take screenshots on my system. I used to be able to do it but for some reason, I can't. I dunno why. I have been making sure that I don't mess with it at all outside of what I can do. Is not routed, and I only sideload apps from trusted sources. I usually just watch twitch app, hulu and some videos I have saved on the system storage, not much else. The reason why I wanted to take screenshots was for the games I play on it, but if anyone else experience this problem or has a solution, please let me know. :)

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    How exactly does it not work, is the option just gone or does the option not work?
    Maybe the option was removed in an update, there are plenty of 3rd party apps for taking screenshots though.

3. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Did you update the system software recently?

4. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The function for taking screenshots has a lock on it an just says Screenshot content protected.

My system is on 6.3

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'd guess it's probably being disabled as a security measure, to avoid apps sneakily taking screenshots of sensitive data, so there should be a setting to enable it somewhere.

6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Yeah if you have apps with sensitive content they generally are coded to disable screenshot while open, to prevent fraud, piracy etc.

Try close everything down (double tap O and close each backgrounded app), then to take screen shot hold O select screenshot.

I noticed mine (also on 6.3 latest) says I dont have permission to perform this operation, even after giving permission via settings>apps>app permissions>camera>system apps>Nvidia overlay....

EDIT: Also tested: settings>apps>app permissions>storage permissions>show system apps > nvidia overlay menu = turned it on and now says "screen shot content is protected"...

Last edited by KiiWii, May 21, 2018
  7. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    I just took a screenshot in the Youtube app.

So maybe it's an app by app thing.

8. Dungeonseeker

Dungeonseeker GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2016
    The error means the app you're trying to take the shot of has been coded to not allow shots to be taken. It's a per app thing and not a global thing.

9. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I tried on mine and I cant even take a shot of the menus.

10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Same problem, that's what is wrong. I can't take any screenshots, not just intentionally protected one like hulu, netflix. :)

11. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I tried a bunch of stuff and just have a padlock icon on the screen shot one and it says "screenshot content is protected" regardless of where I am on the system or in app.... weird...

12. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If this issue is part of nividia shields updates, someone should tell them about it. I dunno if it was intentional or a problem, but I'm surprised no one has said anything about it. I searched all over google. :blink:

KiiWii likes this.
  13. Dungeonseeker

Mar 28, 2016
    Yep, mines the same too. Just tried it and can confirm screenshot feature is global locked.

I wonder if Nvidia forgot to give a system service the required permissions so now it's locking them for everything?

KiiWii likes this.
  14. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    How bizarre!

Thanks for confirming too.

Also: can eithier of you (@Sonic Angel Knight ) recommend any killer apps for the shield TV?

I've been using reicast/dolphin/yabasanshiro retroarch etc :)

15. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Killer apps? Not sure what you mean.

Also I'm kinda upset that they haven't update the twitch or hulu app for over 2 years now. I tried contacting nvidia by email and they said "Use the support function to submit request on the device you are using" to gain priority. Either way, I did both multiple times and never get anything different. :blink:

KiiWii likes this.
  16. Dungeonseeker

Mar 28, 2016
    I mostly use mine for light gaming and streaming via Kodi. It's perfect for when I go to my brother's as he has no console at all, it's small, light and easy to transport.

GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA LCS, HL2, Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3, Bully etc. TBH I rarely turn it on at all when I'm at home as between my PC, PS 4, Switch & Tablet I can do most everything it does anyway, that's also why I wasn't aware of this issue.

KiiWii likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice