OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I'm at school at the moment, and we had to write a review of some movie in English. I chose Saw IV, and the result is below. Thought I might as well post it, so you guys can read another review of Saw IV and help me finding any errors as well. I'm not too convinced that my English is perfect, so if someone can find some errors I'd really appreciate it.

QUOTE said:
Saw IV review
By Maikel Steneker

The three first movies in the Saw series have been quite different to each other. While the first movie heavily relied on deep characters and a lot of mystery surrounding them, the second movie concentrated on the gore that made the first movie so successful. The third movie introduced a completely different story, in which someone actually had to be saved. This made the third movie more of a medical thriller than another horror movie.
Overall, the first three movies were reviewed positively. For the fourth movie, it was announced that the directors were planning to drastically change the movie – again. Darren Lynn Bousman, the director behind Saw II and Saw III was to direct this movie as well. However, this time, the result is disappointing.
Before I tell about the story, I will summarize what the first three movies were all about. In the first movie, two men are locked down in a room. They are chained, and the saw they received cannot break the chains. A lot of strange events happen, and in the end one of them cuts off his foot to rescue him and his fellow-sufferer. This whole happening is revealed to be a test by a serial killer who goes by the name of Jig Saw. His sick game continues in the second movie, which relies heavier on gore. The third game seemed to finish the trilogy – the movie is about a nurse who has to keep Jig Saw alive as long as possible. In the end she fails, and the serial killer finally dies.
Saw IV starts with a shot of the autopsy of the body. It is confirmed that Jig Saw is dead, as his brains are removed and his body is cut open. The stomach reveals a startling surprise; one of the famous tapes Jig Saw records his messages on is found. On this tape, he reveals that – while he is dead – his “tests” will not die with him. It is revealed that one of the cops who has been fighting against Jig Saw all this time is in the middle of one of his little games. And he hasn't got much time.
I will not continue to tell about the plot of the game, as it will spoil all the shocking detais the movie is all about. I will reveal that the actors are again very realistic. The fright can be read from their faces, and the panic flashes through their eyes. Even Tobin Bell, the actor of Jig Saw, returns, and he is as scary as always.
The movie has some clear downsides too. The music in this movie is not nearly as memorable as the music in the first movies. The movie does not add any real improvements over the other movies. The plot is practically the same as the plot from the other movies. The one thing that Saw IV proves is that the powerful formula is dying. Jig Saws reasoning, which was brilliant in the other movies, is not so genius after all, and the history that's supposed to explain Jig Saws past just doesn't make enough sense to impress the audience.
In the end, Saw IV fails to impress. It's just another Saw movie, nothing more, nothing less. The series aren't ruined yet – far from that – but it's obvious that the writers couldn't came up with a really original plot this year. That said, if you are a fan of the gore that Jig Saw introduced in the first Saw and continued in Saw II and III, go and see this movie. If you watched the movies because of their twisted plots, think twice about watching this movie and look for some other thrillers this season.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
By god, are you saw obsessed? lol (just looking at your avatar)

I watched saw 5 the other day and it was pretty average. But i'm interesting in watching the prequels (i haven't seen any before)

Reading your review now.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
OSW said:
By god, are you saw obsessed? lol (just looking at your avatar)
Maybe I am at the moment
tongue.gif
Nah, I just saw (no pun intended) the movies again a while ago, and when someone asked me if I'd like a new avatar I asked for a jigsaw avatar
smile.gif

QUOTE(OSW @ Nov 7 2008, 12:46 PM) I watched saw 5 the other day and it was pretty average. But i'm interesting in watching the prequels (i haven't seen any before)

Reading your review now.
I'll see Saw 5 soon. I don't expect that much from it, because I found Saw 4 less entertaining than the previous movies. Still, I'll give it a chance.

But the review, was it any good?
unsure.gif

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is it me or are they taking saw a little far? soon it will just be like friday the 13th. All they are doing is ruining the good name the film has made for itself.

nice review.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
thegame07 said:
Is it me or are they taking saw a little far? soon it will just be like friday the 13th. All they are doing is ruining the good name the film has made for itself.
Yeah, I completely agree. The first movie was awesome. It had a lot of gore, but it was the story that made it so good. The second one was a lot worse, but in the end it was still pretty clever, and it made you feel like you had seen a great movie, even though it wasn't as good as the first one. The third one had a different spin to it, but again you had the feeling that they were getting worse.

Saw 4 was just too much. It seems like they had to think of some way to continue the series. Spoiler for the ones who haven't seen the movie yet:
I thought the thing about the events of 3 and 4 being at the same time was pretty clever, but that was pretty much it. The last part of the movie just wasn't that smart anymore, and the flashbacks of Jigsaw's past were interesting but not that special either.
That said, they haven't yet completely ruined the series. I'm definitely going to watch Saw V, and chances are I will really like it.
QUOTE(thegame07 @ Nov 8 2008, 11:41 AM) nice review.
Thanks
smile.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I found a funny trend in RT's saw series review scores.
Saw - 46%
Saw II - 36%
Saw III - 26%
Saw IV - 18%
Saw V - 12%

First it's been dropping by 10% each movie, down to 8%, down to 6%. Will Saw VI get a score of 8%? Ha

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm honestly not surprised that these movies got such terrible ratings -- They're more like someone's sick twisted fantasies put to film -- there's zero entertainment value to be gotten from Saw movies, and if there is, then you're a sick bastard
tongue.gif

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good review.

hankchill said:
I'm honestly not surprised that these movies got such terrible ratings -- They're more like someone's sick twisted fantasies put to film -- there's zero entertainment value to be gotten from Saw movies, and if there is, then you're a sick bastard
tongue.gif

Don't call me a sick bastard

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Nice review!

The first Saw was ok, an average horror, all the rest have been trash in my opinion, I cant believe they churned out so many so quickly.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
OP
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
hankchill said:
tongue.gif
If you like the Saw movies you're either a sick bastard, or you just love the story. I don't think anyone saw the great plottwists in the first three movies coming!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1