Hacking My review of the new Sky3DS

JimBonza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Posted my question on your vid but I'll post it here too just in case anyone else can answer too:

On the subject of cycling through the games. Could you test whether repeated mashing/ pressing of the button could skip games or do you have to go through the whole process per game before you get to #8 for example?

Another Q, is it possible to use Powersave 3DS with this? (Assuming you have one).

Cheers.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good stuff - quick, concise and to the point. My only concern is your wording - you said "you can only load 10 games onto your microSD at a time" at 2:25, and that's not entirely true. You can only load 10 games in general, once you've played 10 games, you won't be able to add anything new. You should probably add an annotation clarifying that, you make it seem like you could use 10 games "at one time" and then switch to 10 other games "another time", which to my knowledge you can't do. Other than that, spiffy! :yaynds:
On the subject of cycling through the games. Could you test whether repeated mashing/ pressing of the button could skip games or do you have to go through the whole process per game before you get to #8 for example?
I'll speak from personal experience - don't try to speed things up and most importantly, don't remove the cartridge while the light is on. Don't do anything, just let it do its job. The light indicates access to the SD card and I have corrupted saves by fiddling with it while it was busy - you don't want that, for obvious reasons. ;) Repeatedly pressing the button doesn't seem to do much at all, but better safe than sorry. :P

scottsan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good stuff - quick, concise and to the point. My only concern is your wording - you said "you can only load 10 games onto your microSD at a time" at 2:25, and that's not entirely true. You can only load 10 games in general, once you've played 10 games, you won't be able to add anything new. You should probably add an annotation clarifying that, you make it seem like you could use 10 games "at one time" and then switch to 10 other games "another time", which to my knowledge you can't do. Other than that, spiffy! :yaynds:
I'll speak from personal experience - don't try to speed things up and most importantly, don't remove the cartridge while the light is on. Don't do anything, just let it do its job. The light indicates access to the SD card and I have corrupted saves by fiddling with it while it was busy - you don't want that, for obvious reasons. ;) Repeatedly pressing the button doesn't seem to do much at all, but better safe than sorry. :P

Thanks Foxi4, that's a huge flaw and I will make note of it.

JimBonza, I've tried a couple of different things like tapping on the red button, even plugging/unplugging the cartridge.
Sometimes unplugging/plugging in the cartridge makes it skip over to the next game

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
JimBonza, I've tried a couple of different things like tapping on the red button, even plugging/unplugging the cartridge. Sometimes unplugging/plugging in the cartridge makes it skip over to the next game
You are playing with fire and begging for SD corruption. :P Really guys, don't remove the flashcart while it operates - yes, it will switch the game (the header is very tiny and copies quickly), but you have a high chance of corrupting the save file (as I have done myself :rofl2:).

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, basic console logic - don't touch the card or power button while *this symbol* (or I guess light) is visible.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, basic console logic - don't touch the card or power button while *this symbol* (or I guess light) is visible.
In my case there is no signal because I chipped the LED off while opening the cartridge to show you guys its guts - I don't have a *this symbol* to go by and I thought it froze! :rofl2: Don't patronize me, this was a huge sacrifice for me! :cry: (:P)

Reactions: Danjal

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In my case there is no signal because I chipped the LED off while opening the cartridge to show you guys its guts - I don't have a *this symbol* to go by and I thought it froze! :rofl2: Don't patronize me, this was a huge sacrifice for me! :cry: (:P)
Haha, you made a sacrifice for the greater good - you're excused :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
well in the chinese forum, there was a picture of it showing up in cyber gadget....so i'm *assuming* it will work,unless that picture was included for no reason and was just someone using cgse
The cart does copy save files somewhere, they're not read directly from the SD - I know that for a fact since mine got corrupted when I removed it while it was switching games. If it mimics a real cartridge, it probably also mimics having a save file chip, and if that's the case, I can imagine it working just fine with a save dongle. Of course it should only see the save file of the currently selected game. :P

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I'm curious about is what happens if you press the red button while a game is running. I assume that like the MT-Card it just ignores it and doesn't kick you out of the currently running game?

What about pressing the Home menu, while your game is suspended, and pressing it?

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The one thing I'm curious about is what happens if you press the red button while a game is running. I assume that like the MT-Card it just ignores it and doesn't kick you out of the currently running game?

What about pressing the Home menu, while your game is suspended, and pressing it?
I'm pretty sure I read a post saying "Do not touch the button while in-game."

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I read a post saying "Do not touch the button while in-game."

I'm still curious what actually happens though.

Seems like a major design flaw if it does kick you out of the game. I did a review of the MT-Card a while back and that one just ignored the button if the game was running.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on? :unsure:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's Amazon prime
    Cool. I got Prime
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    prime deez nuts
    okies :D put 'em here :O
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The mutated Axolotl was awesome
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bet you don't pirate game either
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They really wanna get the head
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    legit nobody irl knows I'm trans(it hasn't been long enough yet)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Be really careful out there. There are people who use trans people to their advantage, and its really sad in general. :(
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    also scary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Nobody is safe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves