My review of the new Sky3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by scottsan, Nov 14, 2014.

1. scottsan
    OP

scottsan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2009
    United States

Seems to work! :P

VinsCool, MarkDarkness and Foxi4 like this.

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    No video love on iPad. :(

3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Lol, love that coffee cut at 0:04

4. JimBonza

JimBonza Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2014
    Posted my question on your vid but I'll post it here too just in case anyone else can answer too:

On the subject of cycling through the games. Could you test whether repeated mashing/ pressing of the button could skip games or do you have to go through the whole process per game before you get to #8 for example?

Another Q, is it possible to use Powersave 3DS with this? (Assuming you have one).

Cheers.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Good stuff - quick, concise and to the point. My only concern is your wording - you said "you can only load 10 games onto your microSD at a time" at 2:25, and that's not entirely true. You can only load 10 games in general, once you've played 10 games, you won't be able to add anything new. You should probably add an annotation clarifying that, you make it seem like you could use 10 games "at one time" and then switch to 10 other games "another time", which to my knowledge you can't do. Other than that, spiffy! :yaynds:
    I'll speak from personal experience - don't try to speed things up and most importantly, don't remove the cartridge while the light is on. Don't do anything, just let it do its job. The light indicates access to the SD card and I have corrupted saves by fiddling with it while it was busy - you don't want that, for obvious reasons. ;) Repeatedly pressing the button doesn't seem to do much at all, but better safe than sorry. :P

6. scottsan
    OP

scottsan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2009
    United States
    Thanks Foxi4, that's a huge flaw and I will make note of it.

JimBonza, I've tried a couple of different things like tapping on the red button, even plugging/unplugging the cartridge.
    Sometimes unplugging/plugging in the cartridge makes it skip over to the next game

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You are playing with fire and begging for SD corruption. :P Really guys, don't remove the flashcart while it operates - yes, it will switch the game (the header is very tiny and copies quickly), but you have a high chance of corrupting the save file (as I have done myself :rofl2:).

8. scottsan
    OP

scottsan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2009
    United States
    Thanks, I won't be doing that again :)

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Tell me about it - I was three levels in on Resident Evil: Revelations and now I have to start over! Blast my impatience! *shakes fist* Those 5-10 seconds take forever! :angry:

:P

10. Danjal

Danjal GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    So, basic console logic - don't touch the card or power button while *this symbol* (or I guess light) is visible.

11. Yourstrulyxx

Yourstrulyxx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2013
    Canada
    Question, has anyone tried it with a powersave or cybersave editor? Curious if it'll work.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In my case there is no signal because I chipped the LED off while opening the cartridge to show you guys its guts - I don't have a *this symbol* to go by and I thought it froze! :rofl2: Don't patronize me, this was a huge sacrifice for me! :cry: (:P)

Danjal likes this.
  13. Danjal

Danjal GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Haha, you made a sacrifice for the greater good - you're excused :P

14. LurkerA

LurkerA ㊣New3DS

Apr 8, 2010
    United States
  15. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Never would have figured that out on my own. :)

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well in the chinese forum, there was a picture of it showing up in cyber gadget....so i'm *assuming* it will work,unless that picture was included for no reason and was just someone using cgse

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The cart does copy save files somewhere, they're not read directly from the SD - I know that for a fact since mine got corrupted when I removed it while it was switching games. If it mimics a real cartridge, it probably also mimics having a save file chip, and if that's the case, I can imagine it working just fine with a save dongle. Of course it should only see the save file of the currently selected game. :P

18. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    The one thing I'm curious about is what happens if you press the red button while a game is running. I assume that like the MT-Card it just ignores it and doesn't kick you out of the currently running game?

What about pressing the Home menu, while your game is suspended, and pressing it?

19. Danjal

Danjal GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty sure I read a post saying "Do not touch the button while in-game."

20. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I'm still curious what actually happens though.

Seems like a major design flaw if it does kick you out of the game. I did a review of the MT-Card a while back and that one just ignored the button if the game was running.