My Rant to Apple Fanboys

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by ImperialX, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2010

My Rant to Apple Fanboys by ImperialX at 4:26 AM (2,507 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. ImperialX
    OP

Member ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Whenever the topic “Apple” is discussed on the Internet, it will result in a flame war, no exceptions. This has become one of the commandments of the modern technology community. I myself usually don’t bother involving myself in these debates because I believe everyone has the right to use whatever they choose. However, there is one thing that really gets on my nerves, and has gotten on my nerves for the last few years. Finally, I’m writing this article to express my thoughts. Apple Fanboys – I’m giving you guys the guilty look.

Before we get started, let’s talk about my history with computers briefly. I’ve been using Windows as my primary and only OS until 2007. Because my computer wasn’t nearly powerful enough to switch to Windows Vista, I got myself an iMac out of sheer curiosity and used Mac OS X as my primary and only OS up to 2009. After Windows 7 released, I started dual-booting both OSs. My primary OS right now should be iOS, judging from a pure time perspective. That pretty much sums up my history with computer operating systems.

As a person who dual boots and has spent adequate amounts of time on both Worlds, I can say with confidence that both Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard are very established and polished operating systems. Both have an abundance of applications, can do everything one would expect from a computer. Saying that one is superior to the other is completely based on personal preferences. It’s no secret that I prefer Mac OS X over Windows, but I can say that it’s purely opinion-based. Against a very knowledgable Windows user, I don’t expect to be able to hold up in a fight saying that Mac OS X is technologically superior to Windows, but I don’t think I’d lose either. They’re both very capable and well-designed. Arguing the superiority in the first place is a completely pointless topic with nothing to gain.

Now here is where I’m giving you the eye, you Apple fanboys.

“My Mac never crashes.” “Too bad you’re on a PC. Hur hur hur.” “Look at your bulky piece of rubbish. You have no taste in design.” “Viruses? Shame you’re using Windows.” “OS X runs so much better than Windows.” “I never freeze.” “HAHAHA, look at your BSOD! Bet you wish you had my Mac.” “Look at my iPhone. Can your phone do this?” I can go on, but I won’t. You know what I’m talking about.

You Apple fanboys, in reality, only make up quite a small amount of the entire userbase, but you are loud. Ever since Apple’s founding, you’ve always pushed their products, regardless whether they’re good or bad, radiating smugness at the same time. After all these years of bragging about Apple products, you’ve built up your reputation as the most annoying people to be found on the Internet. To be blunt, you are practically the /b/tards of the tech community.

See, I’ve been on a Mac for years. I have an iPhone and an iPad. My life pretty much revolves around them and I’m confident to say I use them more in a day than most fanboys use in 3 days. But do they crash? Do they encounter problems? Sure they do – just like any other tech products. If I switched from my iPhone to a Galaxy S, can it still fill the niches of my daily life as shown in that blog post? Of course it can.

Yes, a lot of Apple products are good products, and that’s why I use them, but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect, or so great that there are no other alternatives. You completely ignore that fact. You’re stuck inside Apple’s little circle that they refuse to embrace anything from the outside World. What’s even worse is, you’re lying to yourselves too.

See, if you truly owned Macs, you would be lying to say “I’ve never been frustrated by it”. When your friend brings his portable hard drive over, wanting to get some anime of you, and you have to boot to Windows just to copy some files, you know you’re cursing the Mac’s lack of NTFS write capability. When you watch a Flash video, and your fan goes crazy, you know you’re wishing Mac OS X supports Flash as good as Windows can. Stop denying the iPhone 4 doesn’t have a design fault – it does.

Honestly, stop lying to yourselves.

I can understand how you feel to an extent. I’m not stupid – I switched from Windows to Mac OS X because I like it better, and it is, in my opinion, the better operating system. The iPhone 4 is still a brilliant phone, regardless of signal problems. However, as much as I can sympathize with you, I can also tell you just how much you’re missing out, and how much damage you’re causing to your beloved company with your actions.

Indeed, every time Apple comes up with a new product, it gets flamed. Then you fanboys start to defend it. Then the flame war starts. You think you’re the heroes of justice? The fair ones defending the helpless, the one always getting picked on? Wrong. Apple is always getting picked on precisely because of you.

See, if you talk about how bad Windows is and radiate smugness every time you post on a forums, do you honestly think people won’t start hating you? It’s like scoring 100% in your exams. If you constantly brag about it and look down on people, isn’t it natural they’ll hate you, regardless of how well you do? What’s there to show off? If you get a 100%, then keep it to yourself. If you love your Mac, do you have to diss everyone who has Windows? You gain nothing from it, and in return, you not only make enemies for yourself, and also for Apple, the very company you’re sheltering, and protecting with your utmost efforts. No one would make fun of you if you suddenly got 99% if you hadn’t shown off so much. If you did show off, that’s another story. Does this sound familiar to you? Look at the iPhone 4.

The World outside of Apple is a vast and beautiful one. HTC makes some beautiful phones. Android may not have as many apps as iOS, nor are they polished as much, but it can do things your iPhone has never done before. There are so many more games available on Windows than Mac that you can’t play the difference in your lifetime. The iPhone and iPad are still the most developed mobile platform in our current market. Mac OS X offers a ton of slick user enhancements Windows doesn’t have, and has an abundance of beautiful apps. Why can’t you step out of your circle and embrace things aside from Apple? It’s not like you can’t go back – you’re just broadening your views. You don’t lose anything and there’s a whole new World to gain.

It’s time for the tech community to join hands again and put an end to this conflict. As lovers of technology, there’s no reason for us to fight over such a trivial matter. Buy Apple’s products if they’re good, but don’t preach it like it’s the gospel to save mankind. Take advantage of Apple, not the other way around. Apple is a commercial company – they make great products for the money. How about taking a first step today – and boot up with Windows for a week? You’ll be surprised at how good it is.

Original Post: http://imperialx.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/...-apple-fanboys/

2. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    tldr:

What's an "Apple?"

3. DeviousTom

Member DeviousTom GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    My flaming hammer of flame is!!!.... well, it's flaming... but I guess your entitled to your own opinion.

4. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    [​IMG] both of these "rant posts" were exellent and very accurate. Too bad 75% of the people won't read them to the end.

5. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    I own a mac but im not a fanboy i hate fanboys in general I bootcamp mac and own a console from all 3 major gaming companies and like them all but your last sentence was awesome.

6. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    tl;dr except for last paragraph

7. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I read the whole post, and I agree completely. The worst offender on GBAtemp of this is DSGamer64

8. ImperialX
    OP

Japan
    lol, I saw his reply to your sarcastic comment in the free bumpers thread. I think he took you seriously.

9. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    But just to be clear, he's been doing it ever since he joined. I like to pick on him because he is so easy to troll.

10. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    HOLY SHIT I LOVE BLOGS THAT AREN'T IN THE BLOG SECTION

11. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought this might be interesting to read, but I quit after the third paragraph.

*meh.

Wynd

12. ImperialX
    OP

Japan
    I think this belongs to the Computer Systems section. The contents of this isn't really that of a blog post's nature.

13. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    a rants a rant. you aren't going to get much discussion besides "i agree"

14. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I read both articles and I think I'll post this in both threads too.

Simple fact about Macs; my 2nd Generation iPod will crash any Mac (on any OS) within 5 minutes of plugging it in via USB. Snow Leopard did nothing to fix this, and it's nothing to do with viruses either - just bad hardware/software.

...The rest of the post doesn't seem relevant in this thread, so I'll leave it.

15. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    Lemme simplify on why people brag with mac computers.
    Mac vs PC
    That's the reason why people do it.... Man kids these days. Copy everything that is shown on t.v.

16. MaK11-12

Member MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well i'm outta this one.
    I use Linux!

17. imshortandrad

Member imshortandrad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I read the whole thing. I use Apple products, but I don't really brag about it. I just say how it's good stuff, and not that Microsoft is bad or anything.

It's all about opinions, and I just prefer Apple.

18. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    [​IMG]

But seriously though, it probably won't stop. It's how people are, and most are afraid of change in things.
    People love to troll 'round, that won't change either, so why put so much energy into it?

19. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just really really really hate macs commercials where its like "im a mac, and im a pc" >.>;

20. darkranboria

Newcomer darkranboria Advanced Member

United States
    Would you like this as a commercial?

[​IMG]

I wish it was a real commercial [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.