My r4ds software is all borked character-wise

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by MrBThatsMe, Apr 4, 2007.

Apr 4, 2007
  1. MrBThatsMe
    OP

Newcomer MrBThatsMe Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi,

I just got my r4ds (and a memory card) and I'm desperate to get going with it but I've fallen at the first hurdle. Reading guides, I learnt that you must copy _DS_MENU.DAT and _DS_MSHL.nds to the root directory of the TF card. DONE. However, I also see that you need to copy a certain 'shell' folder over too. Unfortunately, because everything on my cd is labelled as [][][][] and such, I have no idea what to copy over. Obviously my cd and r4 aren't English but i've downlaoded the 1.07 kernel from the r4ds site to partly solve this problem.

Could someone please give me some info on the shell folder in question? Is it simply an empty folder that I could create myself or am I missing some files by doing this?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    i'd use this guy's program, i've NEVER touched the CD or online downloads.
    http://blogs.moddz.com/trolleyguy/
    run the program, then choose utils, and install update pack... im PRETTY sure thats all i did. when u add games and stuff from that program, it'll make directories as it goes (ex: you add ur first rom, it'll make a folder called ROMS)

3. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    You can get the files in the cd at the R4 webpage: http://r4ds.com/index-en.htm. They should be at the download section. Try using the chinese files, I think you have a chinese R4.

4. aquariumboy

Newcomer aquariumboy Advanced Member

United States
    you could try installing your language packs to get the [][][][] things to go away. just wondering where did you buy it from? its bad when they get the cheapassed stuff mixed into the english... not cheapassed stuff lol.

5. iwakura

United States
  6. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the quick replies, but nobody has actually told me what the deal is with the 'shell' folder [​IMG]

I've just installed language packs and it's all in chinese and the folders under the 'system 1.07' directory are all named identically. None of them appear to have a 'shell' folder though [​IMG]

The guy I bought this off told me all r4's are chinese, and the ones labelled as 'English' have simply had language packs installed. Is there any truth in this? I wouldn't like to be in possession of a crappy version of the card lol.

Thanks

7. aslacker55

United States
    Are you talking about the moonshell folder? If you are, you need it to use moonshell. There should also be a _system_ folder for the ebook and to put the r4 skins in.

8. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not referring to the moonshell folder.

I read the idiots guide to the r4/m3 on this site.

Here's the quote:

"The best place to start is with the files from the CD. Most of it you do not need. Go to the system v x.xx folder - then into your language folder. (In my case this was d:\system v1.00\English) In this location you will see 2 files called _DS_MSHL.NDS and _DS_MENU.DAT and a folder called shell. Copy both these files and the folder to the root of your memory card. The main software has now been installed."

9. aslacker55

United States
    That is the moonshell folder that goes to the root of your micro sd.

10. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ahh right. That's made things a lot less confusing for me then [​IMG]

Maybe the original 1.00 versions didnt have moonshell? I dunno..

Thanks

11. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You can only use the chinese language firmware on the chinese R4. If you have an R4 from the very first batch you can solder or de-solder a point on it (I can't remember which) and that will allow you to use the English firmware on it. I presume they modified the card to prevent this when they stopped people switching from R4 to M3 and vice versa with solder, but I can't be sure.

12. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Damnit. [​IMG]

The guy i got it off told me I would be able to convert the text etc on the r4 to english after downloading the latest kernel.

I've just turned my ds on and I have a calendar on the top screen, and what looks like a warning/alert message on the bottom. It has !!! in the title and a load of chinese characters in the bos underneath.

Any idea whats going on?

13. aslacker55

United States
    You can't use the english kernel on a chinese R4. You are going to have to use the chinese kernel. If you have a 1st batch R4, then you can convert it to an english R4.

[​IMG]
    New batch at the left and first batch on the right.

14. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    I havent got a firstbatch r4 from what I can tell. The cd came with 1.07 version of the kernel so i reckon it's newer.

I'm gonna use the Chinese kernel then. How much will this affectme? Will it just be within the r4 menu's or will it continue over into use of games and applications?

15. aslacker55

United States
    It'll just affect the the menu, the games will not be affected.

16. iwakura

United States
    apps wont be affected either

17. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, cool I guess.

Any idea where i can get the chinese kernel? (sorry for asking so many questions!)

18. aslacker55

United States
  19. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you [​IMG]

I knew I should have never bought this kind of hardware from Ebay! Hopefully it'll not be too tricky to get the hang of otherwise i'll end up needing to buy an english R4. haha.

20. MrBThatsMe
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, I seem to have things working here.

Just one last (I think) question; is it just the kernel that I need to use in Chinese? Or are there other updates that I need to goto Chinese websites specifically for? I ask now because if I don't I know I'll go and end up using some sort of English update/addon and getting an error message as a result. An error message that is totally unreadable by me [​IMG]

Thanks for the help, it was a lot quicker and accurate than I'd expect from most other websites [​IMG]