My ps4 external hard disk drive is not detected both on pse4 and pc

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there,

was uning an external WD Elements 4tb hard disk on my ps4 tof games storage. Suddenly the hard disk is no been detected on the ps4 and even on my pc. I want to specify that I tried to mount the hard disk on windows and linux. Device manager on windows doesn't detect the hard disk, instead a message appear saying "device not reconised". On linux I tried both gparted and Disks, both the programs don't detect the hard disk.

So, maybe is the hard disk phisically damaged? Or maybe some kind of encryption is not allowing any system to detect the hard disk?

In the case is a phisical damage, is possible to repair it?

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A pc doesn't normally see a ps4 formatted drive unless you reformat it to fat and create a partition, etc..

Can you plug the drive into another ps4 to see what happens? Does the ps4 even see the drive at all under 'settings' and 'devices' after you plug it in? Does it offer to format it?

Finally, or first, put your hand on the drive, can you tell if it spins up or gets warm at all while it's connected? Is there a light showing activity, and is it doing anything?

Tackskull

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A pc doesn't normally see a ps4 formatted drive unless you reformat it to fat and create a partition, etc..

Can you plug the drive into another ps4 to see what happens? Does the ps4 even see the drive at all under 'settings' and 'devices' after you plug it in? Does it offer to format it?

Finally, or first, put your hand on the drive, can you tell if it spins up or gets warm at all while it's connected? Is there a light showing activity, and is it doing anything?

I tried right now to connect the HD to an another ps4, and the result is the same.

When I connect the it to any device, the ight turn on, it spins up for like 5 or 6 seconds, and then it stops. No it doesn't get warm at all, it remain fresh.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seem like your drive gone bad, taking the drive out of the enclosure won't fixed your problem if the drive is dead. PC won't be able to see the drive if it was extended format.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried right now to connect the HD to an another ps4, and the result is the same.

When I connect the it to any device, the ight turn on, it spins up for like 5 or 6 seconds, and then it stops. No it doesn't get warm at all, it remain fresh.
sounds like the drive is dead or the header is stuck, if it's still under warranty try to get a replacement ASAP.

In the case is a phisical damage, is possible to repair it?
only if you know what you are doing, as soon as you open the hard drive and expose the plates to dust and air, the chances of it recovering is almost 0.

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It costs alot of $$ to recover a disk, unless you know someone with the set up.
Best to think about a back up if you replace the drive and reload all the info eventually.
I use 4T external drives and it takes a week to replace all the games on one. So an $80 back up drive makes sense to me.

You might not want to throw the drive away, as it could be corrupted to a ps4, but can still be reformatted on a pc and used again. But if it has bad sectors (runa dskchk if you can format it), you may want to get rid of it anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.